Author Topic: Why does Jasper suddenly cry out?  (Read 763 times)

Offline loumeg

• Site Member
  • Hi everyone i'm a bigger girl now
Why does Jasper suddenly cry out?
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:27:35 PM »
Jasper has settled in exremely well and is a little monkey. But i was shocked last night when he suddenly let out the most upsetting howl.  Well actually it was howls and yelps.  At the time he was running on the laminate and had lost his footing.  (he never walks anywhere ::) )  I thought he had just pulled himself and as he showed not signs of a limp put it to the back of my mind until this morning.  When i got up I greeted Cookie (as always) before letting Jasper out of his crate.  Whilst i was Fussing Cookie  (approx 20 seconds) Jasper put his front legs up on the side of his crate and let out the most piercing yelps. 

I immediatly got him out and checked his legs and paws - nothing.  Since then he has been running round and showing no sign of a problem  :huh:

He is booked in to see our vet on Fri anyway for a health check etc...   Would you mention it even if there are no more incidents ???:huh:   He seems abs fine now. 

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Why does Jasper suddenly cry out?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »
Poor boy, I would definitely mention it the the vets, he's maybe just given himself a sprain but I think it would be best for the vet to check him over just in case :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »
When Chloe was tiny, she used to make, what seemed to me, the most awful noises in order to get what she wanted  ;) I see the first time Jasper did it was on the laminate flooring....well Chloe just went bezerk the first time she tried to run on the laminate flooring...the fact that she couldn't a get grip completely fazed her, understandably  ph34r :005: If Jasper has been running around fine all day, I wouldn't be too concerned, but there's no harm in mentioning it to your vet for some professional reasurrance.
Hope he's fine  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:58:24 PM »
I think it sounds more like he has hurt his back than his legs.

I do worry about laminate flooring. We have it everywhere and I recall reading that pups (and I imagine older dogs too) shouldn't be on laminate as it affects their joints. But I really do prefer it to carpet.

We used to have a large rug in the lounge which helped a bit, I think. Only problem there was that Buddy liked to aim any vomit at the rug. And one sick pile too many led to it being thrown out a few months ago.

I hope Jasper's pain or whatever settles and that you won't have to get him to the vet.

Offline spongebob

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »
I agree about the 'back' suggestion.One of the times Sponge used to yelp was when up on his back legs (he had a slipped disc). I am not saying this is your dogs problem-but he may have pulled a back muscle. Keep a note of when it happens and what position he is in and mention to the vet.Difficulty/discomfort when jumping is another 'back' sign. All the best. Jennifer

Offline BlueBoyy

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »
Logan does this every now and again. He has never so much as limped so haven't a clue what its all about. He can be mouching around kitchen and suddenly he'll let out a squeal then tuck his bum in and head for the hills. This is usually followed by an attack of the ebe gebies, needs a cuddle, then he's fine again. ph34r

Offline loumeg

• Site Member
  • Hi everyone i'm a bigger girl now
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Jasper is visiting the vet tomorrow for a health check.  He had one done by his breeder but i want to let our vet check him too.  ;)  He has not yelped out since and is very active but going to mention it anyway.