Author Topic: Baja possibly has giardia UPDATE test results back  (Read 1695 times)

Offline brownsugar

Re: Baja possibly has giardia UPDATE test results back
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »
Sorry Baja has giardia (and hope the E-coli resolves itself).  Its not a nice thing (except when you love house-cleaning a lot  :P) but without the parasite he'll probably feel a lot better.

Just speaking of one persons experience with Toby: he had to have the panacur two times before it was gone (10 days in total) but wasn't much bothered by it at all.
When tests proved the giardia had gone , I did try to improve his intestinal flora (sp?) because it had taken quite a beating with the whole thing and his diarrhea wasn't totally gone. That helped and he has the most beautiful poopies now!

BTW, did'nt know this myself, but it seems there are different strains of giardia; some better treated with panacur and others with metronidazole. (Actually I don't like metronidazole TBH because of the side-effects.)

However, it is very infectious. If there are cysts left in his surroundings or on his fur (diarrea!) he could re-infect himself. It seems they don't build up immunity after having gone through the infection so they can catch it again.

As to Baja socializing with othe dogs: I don't know how careful you have to be regarding that.
When Toby had it, he was very little. Custom here has it puppies aren't kept apart from other dogs till the vacinations are completed, but I already did avoid places with many dogs for safety reasons. And after I knew he had giardia I was extra careful with puppies, older dogs, etc. And of course picked up his poop. I remember it being a bit of a dilemma, because the early weeks of the puppy are considered very important for a dogs social skills in later life.
I hope some else can advice you better with this, or perhaps you could ask your vet?

Hope you have a nice holiday (and seeing it's Scotland: an umbrella!).

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »
The vet may feel that he and his system needs to recover a bit more before the next round of anti-b's and treatment.  I think it's a good idea to have a vet on hand in Scotland, will make you feel far more comfortable.

Start him on the Panacur today and see how his system reacts - some dogs have different reactions to different wormers and he may just take it all in his stride so you won't need to stop at every services  ;)

Are they going to re-test for the e.coli when you get back?  They may be thinking that the panacur may help with that anyway.....

Thanks Helen, I have a vet now sorted in Scotland just in case . He's had his first 8ml of Panacur so we will see how we get on with that during the day and we have another appointment in the morning with the vet to try to put my mind at rest  :blink:

He will be retested when we get back from holiday to see how we are getting on, fingers crossed things start to pick up again.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:01 PM »
Sorry Baja has giardia (and hope the E-coli resolves itself).  Its not a nice thing (except when you love house-cleaning a lot  :P) but without the parasite he'll probably feel a lot better.

Just speaking of one persons experience with Toby: he had to have the panacur two times before it was gone (10 days in total) but wasn't much bothered by it at all.
When tests proved the giardia had gone , I did try to improve his intestinal flora (sp?) because it had taken quite a beating with the whole thing and his diarrhea wasn't totally gone. That helped and he has the most beautiful poopies now!

BTW, did'nt know this myself, but it seems there are different strains of giardia; some better treated with panacur and others with metronidazole. (Actually I don't like metronidazole TBH because of the side-effects.)

However, it is very infectious. If there are cysts left in his surroundings or on his fur (diarrea!) he could re-infect himself. It seems they don't build up immunity after having gone through the infection so they can catch it again.

As to Baja socializing with othe dogs: I don't know how careful you have to be regarding that.
When Toby had it, he was very little. Custom here has it puppies aren't kept apart from other dogs till the vacinations are completed, but I already did avoid places with many dogs for safety reasons. And after I knew he had giardia I was extra careful with puppies, older dogs, etc. And of course picked up his poop. I remember it being a bit of a dilemma, because the early weeks of the puppy are considered very important for a dogs social skills in later life.
I hope some else can advice you better with this, or perhaps you could ask your vet?

Hope you have a nice holiday (and seeing it's Scotland: an umbrella!).

Thank you so much for this I will PM you as I have a couple of questions!
It's seeems we have waited so long to get the results back, I wish his treatment could have been started sooner, but I guess better to be safe than sorry!

I'm just about the pack the car up (keep me busy) and yes th umbrella is already in :005:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
I don't know anything at all about Giardia - had not even heard of it - just wanted to say hope the Panacur works and clears it up.  Its taken a long time to start treatment, hope hes not been too ill with it.   Hope you have a good holiday.