Author Topic: Food ideas when ill  (Read 1050 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Food ideas when ill
« on: August 21, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
With Baja waiting for his results to come back to see if he has Giardia I was wondering what other food I could give him. The vet has said to keep him on chicken and rice until we know whats going on. So my fist question is how much should he have, we tend to give him 3/4 of a bag of rice per meal with about half a chicken breast, but I'm thinking thats not wnough chicken?

Are there other things he could have like pasta or potato? Can he eat scrambled eggs? Is brown meat the same as white meat on a chicken, if I was to buy a whole chicken and portion it out?

Also at the moment he is on 3ml of pro-kolin per day, although this was on the advice from a useless receptionnist who also seemed to forget to give Mole his anti-inflammatory tablets after his castration this week  >:(

So many questions........sorry :-\

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Food ideas when ill
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
that sounds like quite a big meal - I would be giving him small meals a few times a day of around 1/2 a mug full at a time.  I was giving Jarv 4 small meals a day after his recent illness so his tummy could get used to food again.  He probably only had a chicken breast a day, 1/4 in each meal.

you could also try white fish, and potato is fine - steer away from the pasta as some dogs have a wheat intolerance.  Yes you could give chicken thigh or any other brown meat but as fat free as possible, no skin at all.

pro-kolin dosage is 2-5 mls every 8 hours, so you could give morning and night  ;)

HTH  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »
When Rosie was poorly she was on white fish and rice 4 times aday (small portions) plus Pro kolin.

We did try chicken but the white fish was excellent for her  :luv: Rosie stayed on that for 10 days and very gradually introduced her JWB kibble  :blink:

Hope Baja is better soon  :luv:

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
that sounds like quite a big meal - I would be giving him small meals a few times a day of around 1/2 a mug full at a time.  I was giving Jarv 4 small meals a day after his recent illness so his tummy could get used to food again.  He probably only had a chicken breast a day, 1/4 in each meal.

you could also try white fish, and potato is fine - steer away from the pasta as some dogs have a wheat intolerance.  Yes you could give chicken thigh or any other brown meat but as fat free as possible, no skin at all.

pro-kolin dosage is 2-5 mls every 8 hours, so you could give morning and night  ;)

HTH  :D

Thanks for that, his rice is 3/4 of  boil in the bag, so will try as you suggested and split it over 4 meals rather than 2. I figured I would be better off cooking a whole chicken than steaming one chicken breast at a time!

Thanks for the advice regarding the pro-kolin too  :blink:

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
When Rosie was poorly she was on white fish and rice 4 times aday (small portions) plus Pro kolin.

We did try chicken but the white fish was excellent for her  :luv: Rosie stayed on that for 10 days and very gradually introduced her JWB kibble  :blink:

I didn't even consider 4 meals a day, silly really! Off to tesco tomorrow, for fish I think  :blink: Thanks

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »

I didn't even consider 4 meals a day, silly really! Off to tesco tomorrow, for fish I think  :blink: Thanks
You can get frozen white fish normally Coley or Pollock fairly cheaply  :blink: I then defrost enough for the day pop in the microwave for 2 mins and cool, smash up to check for bones and store in fridge.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »

You can get frozen white fish normally Coley or Pollock fairly cheaply  :blink: I then defrost enough for the day pop in the microwave for 2 mins and cool, smash up to check for bones and store in fridge.

Perfect thanks for that, I presume I can just steam it as we don't have a microwave?

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 02:09:41 PM »
Steaming is great too  :blink:

Enjoy Baja  :blink: Let us know what he thinks of the fish mine love it  :luv: they often have it as a treat on Saturdays mixed with their kibble  :blink:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »
Katie and Smudge both like white fish when they have tummy troubles.   :blink:
You can get Pro Kolin off the net much cheaper than your vet will charge  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.