Author Topic: Baja's bloods and high cholesterol  (Read 535 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Baja's bloods and high cholesterol
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
We got Baja's blood and stool samples back today from the vet. He has signed him off  :banana:   :banana:

Well for the time being anyway! The giardia has completely gone, his vitamin B12 levels are back to normal and he is fit and healthy in almost every other way.

We can now start on adding a new food into his diet to see how he reacts, a slow process I think but well worth it. I'm hoping to get him on to healthy paws eventually, one of my main reasons for this is the low fat levels.

The one concern the vet does have is his bloods showed a high level of cholesterol, there seems to be no reason he can think of to explain this. He thought I had fed him his breakfast before the bloods, but I hadn't.

So I'm left wondering if its the Hills d/d he is currently on, having not eaten anything other than this how else could he have high cholesterol?

Does anyone know if there are natural ways of reducing his cholesterol, he will continue to be on the d/d for a little while longer whilst we try adding new foods in to the mix. But would like to do all  can for him.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts, it got him through this so lets hope we can get over the last leg  :blink:

Offline luckypenny

Re: Baja's bloods and high cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »
No advice, but glad it's good news :blink:

Offline maggieann

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:10:46 PM »
Glad you've got good news about Baja. :blink:
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:22:39 PM »
You could try herbs to maintain a healthy liver such as dandelion or milk thistle as may help remove cholesterol from the liver if it was diseased and having difficulty removing it before. You'd need to watch what he eats and maintain a lower fat healthy diet, ensure his weight remains low and increase or maintain a good level of activity for him. Have they tested for things like diabetes or thyroid problems which can increase the cholesterol levels in the blood?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »
You could try herbs to maintain a healthy liver such as dandelion or milk thistle as may help remove cholesterol from the liver if it was diseased and having difficulty removing it before. You'd need to watch what he eats and maintain a lower fat healthy diet, ensure his weight remains low and increase or maintain a good level of activity for him. Have they tested for things like diabetes or thyroid problems which can increase the cholesterol levels in the blood?

Thanks for this, the vet told us he would be showing other signs if there was a serious cholesterol problem and his levels were normal when he had his first blood test and this time round were raised, so my thinking is it must have been the hills d/d. He will be going on the the healthy paws which is low fat so hopefully that should be helping.

Thanks for the dandelion and milk thistle options, I might look to see if I can find some recipe for a healthy bedtime biscuit  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 09:39:27 PM »
I missed this before, I'm really glad you've got some results at last Vikki and that it's good news :banana: I'm so pleased that Baja is back to normal again and I hope he enjoys the Healthy Paws! :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/