Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 654 times)

Offline pcmikey

Advice please
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:15:35 PM »
Hi,
Could anyone give me advice on the following?
We took our pup kianne to the groomers on Thursday.Whilst having her haircut the caught her neck with the clippers.We had to take her back to them later the same day as it was bleeding.They put some antibiotic powder on it and all seems fine.

Then after we had taken her for a walk last night(Fri) we were drying her with a towel and noticed a few bright blood spots on the towel.We checked her neck and that looked OK.we also checked her feet and they too were OK.

The same thing happened tonight when we got back from the walk.

We were wondering if this was her season starting?? or could it be something else??
She is nearly 12 months old and hasn't had one yet.

Any thoughts Greatly received.
Thanks

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »
Have you tried wiping her bits with a piece of tissue or kitchen roll? You should be able to see if she's bleeding or got any discharge which would indicate her being in season. Other than that I'd give her a thorough check over to make sure she hasn't got any cuts etc.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »
Hi there, a season could be very possible. Have you noticed any other signs like mood changes or her bits (we call it her peanut!) getting enlarged? Is she needing a wee more frequently when out on walks? (sometimes they scent for male dogs!). It could also be that the groomer has made a little cut somewhere else that is opening everytime she has a bath, etc. Hope everything goes okay for you. Jenny x
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »
As Nicola says get a piece of white tissue and dab her bits, if she's in season you'll get some staining on the tissue, can be from very dark red to pinky watery discharge. Her bits will be swollen too, but if its her first time and shes just started you may be confused as to how swollen is swollen ifswim (not something you'll be taking too much notice of). I always notice spots on the floor too and on their bedding. may also be "crusty" round her back end where she's not cleaned properly.

Failing that, if she has been clippered its not impossible to have nicked that area too if you can see they have been clippering round it.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline pcmikey

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34:13 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
We now know where the blood is coming from..... ::)
Its from one of her pads on a front paw.which only bleeds when she goes out for a walk.

Could anyone give me advice on the best way to heal this?

I am not sure whether the groomer also caught her pad.

thanks

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
there was a thread a while ago about cut pads. This is the link to it

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=68393.0

Hope that helps :D