Author Topic: first heat cycle.  (Read 500 times)

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
first heat cycle.
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
hello every body... how we can come to know that our dog is going to come in heat for the first time...

I mean to ask you behavioral changes take place in a bitch before her first heat cycle?

Help always appreciated.

Thank you.

Yogesh Aggarwal.
my closest friend-

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: first heat cycle.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Its difficult to tell but as an initial guide expect it any time from about 6 mths. They usually have some sort of mood change, so more clingy, whingy, snappy, lethargic than usual or as if in discomfort. You may see a regression in toilet training, ie waking up to urine accidents when they didn't happen before or notice more weeing during the day. Don't scold for any regression as it can't be helped during this time. You may also notice that she starts licking herself quite a lot between her legs, usually because the blood is already flowing. You also may simple notice small spots of blood on the floor or in her basket. I'd also say to make it easier to check her bedding lay down a light coloured towel or blanket over her basket so any blood will be clearly seen. You could also try dabbing her vulva gently with a white piece of tissue paper just to make sure you're not missing anything.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:32:21 PM »

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:56 PM »
You book a holiday cottage for a week which has very pale carpets.  The dog will then come into season the week before you go and be at its worst for bleeding the week you are there.

That is what our Ellie did!!!!!!!

Thankfully she was happy to wear knickers in the house and no stains were left.