Author Topic: Some advice needed for Mole  (Read 951 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Some advice needed for Mole
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »
Mole is not right this evening, he is very subdued, he seems to be leaning to one side, sitting on one side, refusing to move from his basket, not even coming to us for a treat when called, tail between his legs and very quiet.

His gums are a normal colour, and he doesn't make a noise when we feel him all over.

Normally he is happy and bouncy running around, but this past half an hour he wont even move.

We popped out in the car and got caught in a big hail storm, I have never seen anything like it before, do you think he could be in shock from that, he can be a bit nervy of new things and has never seen hail before, so having been sitting in the car with all the noise going on maybe he just got scared?

Is there anything we can do for this possible shock/anxiety he might be showing?

It's horrible when they don't seem to be their normal self, I don't think I will sleep with worry of how he's feeling  :-\

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Re: Some advice needed for Mole
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »
If you are worried ring the vets if only for peace of mind.
 Hope he is ok the little love xxx
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
It could be that the hail frightened him, especially in a car, the din must have been awful for all  :'(

If you don't have any Rescue Remedy or Emergency Essence on hand, you could try giving him a little chammomile tea, maybe with a bit of sugar to entice him.

Hope he's back to normal soon  :luv:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »
Was he like that before the drive? If it was just during the drive, he may be just stressed from the storm, but if you are really worried, maybe best to phone the emergency vets and ask for advice. :-\

If you have Emergency Essence, it may be worth a try, or camomile tea as spanielcrazy suggested.

I hope he is ok soon. :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »
Thanks everyone, it was only after he came out of the car so I think the noise must have just been too much for him  :-\ This is the dog who was sick when he watched OH using a chain saw this week so I think he is just a little more sensitive to some of these things  :luv:

He has gone to bed now and seems more settled, we don't have rescue remedy but should really get some in for the future.

Thanks again  :blink:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:59:23 AM »
How is Mole this morning Vikki? I hope he's back to normal :luv:

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
Was going to ask the same thing how is little Mole this morning xx
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:35 AM »
He slept and has woken up back to his normal bouncy self  :D I think the hail storm must have just unsettled him and he was left feeling scared and nervous from all of the noise.

I was thinking was there something I could have done as I was driving to calm him, but it was so dark I couldn't see them and neither of them made a sound, if I had of stopped it would have been on a dark country road and could have put all of us in danger, so I just carried on not knowing he was so scared  :-\

Really pleased he is back to himself and hopefully we won't see hail like that again for another 30 years!

Thanks for asking  :D

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »
Pleased to hear Mole is back to normal self - they can be so sensitive with these things, I know  :luv:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:44 AM »
Awwww, bless him. Poor boy.  :luv: I think to be honest you prob did the best thing considering as it would have been worse to stop. The only thing I can think of is you could have put the radio on to dull the sound and given them something else to concentrate on. Some sort of relaxing music that is, no heavy metal.  :shades: :lol2: I'm glad he's now feeling more himself.  :luv: :bigarmhug:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
I'm so glad Mole is ok again today. :luv: Sounds like he is just a very sensitive little boy, poor sweetheart. :luv:

I think you did the right think driving on, stopping could have made him worse - I would have been terrified stopping in a dark country road in a hailstorm! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge