Author Topic: Jade spayed on 28th of may  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: Jade spayed on 28th of may
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »
How do you know the difference between a behavioural change was as a result of being spayed and one that would have happened anyway? Im not trying to say it wasnt as you know your own dog i was just wondering....

It could equally go the other way. My friends dog was allowed a seasons and she developed some behavioural issues presumably as a result of the hormones, some of which didnt go away.

Its difficult to know whats the best thing to do sometimes.....

I don't know thats the thing, maybe its a behaviourial thing from growing up.   

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »
Jeanette
Have you had an adverse reaction to your little one being spayed??? Im getting my little nell done in a couple of weeks and would be gutted if it altered her character
Many thanks
xx

I wouldn't say its adverse but shes definitely changed since she was spayed, shes not as confident and more fearful than she was prior to a year old.  I cannot find anything to suggest that spaying a female changes their behaviour, after all everyone says its neutering a male that can alter unwanted behaviours but has no effect on females so I really shouldn't have posted that as I have no evidence to suggest it does.    :-\    

This is also my opinion on Poppy after being spayed at 1 year. She is more nervous around new things and especially men. The vet that tried to drain her seroma was a man and she is very worried about new men now.
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
Jeanette
Have you had an adverse reaction to your little one being spayed??? Im getting my little nell done in a couple of weeks and would be gutted if it altered her character
Many thanks
xx

I wouldn't say its adverse but shes definitely changed since she was spayed, shes not as confident and more fearful than she was prior to a year old.  I cannot find anything to suggest that spaying a female changes their behaviour, after all everyone says its neutering a male that can alter unwanted behaviours but has no effect on females so I really shouldn't have posted that as I have no evidence to suggest it does.    :-\    

This is also my opinion on Poppy after being spayed at 1 year. She is more nervous around new things and especially men. The vet that tried to drain her seroma was a man and she is very worried about new men now.

Spaying removes the production of progesterone, which is a natural calming hormone and a Serotonin up lifter - this is what I found on the web.   It makes sense that removing something that is a calming hormone can change and make them more nervous and fearful.     

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »
About the behaviouralchange: that's one of the reasons vets in Holland are reluctant too.

I have found a very interesting article about the pros and cons  spaying also at early age. (moderaters; If you think it's better fit elswhere on the forum go a head ;)

http://www.luckydogs.info/pdf/Web_-_Spaying_or_neutering_-_Pro_s_and_Con_s.pdf
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »
About the behaviouralchange: that's one of the reasons vets in Holland are reluctant too.

I have found a very interesting article about the pros and cons  spaying also at early age. (moderaters; If you think it's better fit elswhere on the forum go a head ;)

http://www.luckydogs.info/pdf/Web_-_Spaying_or_neutering_-_Pro_s_and_Con_s.pdf

Interesting, thank you

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 03:00:27 PM »
really really interesting ....thank you.. ph34r
my closest friend-

Offline PennyB

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
Hello every body ...i got my lovely cute baby.. jade spayed after she become 5months and 17 days old..vet said you brought her, very right time as she is above 5. 1/2 months is perfect for a dog....however.. from last two days she is not very active but ate few raw hide sticks , few boiled eggs, and some liquid glucose and she is OK now.. but fist day on 29th whole night she kept roaming in my room and never let me sleep .. may be because of pain and may be because of anesthesia effects going off from her mind....after 4.30 in the morning she slept and i got nap tooo..... but yes taking positive effects into consideration ...... i am happy to go with that..............

it can take them a ltitle while to get over the effects of the anaesthetic and sometimes some dogs do need a little extra pain relief - if she continues to act strangely or you're worried then may be go back to the vet or at least ask the vet.

I help out with a local rescue and all our dogs are neutered all very successfully - we're also very lucky in that my vet who doe a lot of these makes a very tiny incison on the bitch's abdomen which am sure in uor case helps them recover from the op very quickly. Mine own dog Ruby hasn't changed behaviourally because of this op.

Hope your girl recovers very quickly
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »

Hello every body ...i got my lovely cute baby.. jade spayed after she become 5months and 17 days old..vet said you brought her, very right time as she is above 5. 1/2 months is perfect for a dog....however.. from last two days she is not very active but ate few raw hide sticks , few boiled eggs, and some liquid glucose and she is OK now.. but fist day on 29th whole night she kept roaming in my room and never let me sleep .. may be because of pain and may be because of anesthesia effects going off from her mind....after 4.30 in the morning she slept and i got nap tooo..... but yes taking positive effects into consideration ...... i am happy to go with that..............

it can take them a ltitle while to get over the effects of the anaesthetic and sometimes some dogs do need a little extra pain relief - if she continues to act strangely or you're worried then may be go back to the vet or at least ask the vet.

I help out with a local rescue and all our dogs are neutered all very successfully - we're also very lucky in that my vet who doe a lot of these makes a very tiny incison on the bitch's abdomen which am sure in uor case helps them recover from the op very quickly. Mine own dog Ruby hasn't changed behaviourally because of this op.

thank you for your reply vet already asked me to give her 4 injections of different medicines and one vet assistant is coming to my place to give her injection, however first night she was reacting very strangly but yes from last two days she is getting normal... however i would ask experts about how is the time of 51/2 months to spay a female dog....? its a right time or not... as she was getting very aggressive but after checking by vet ... vet said she will have periods in august........please inform ... is jade spayed at the right time...?
my closest friend-

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
Despite all of these studies, the only "right time" to spay is when you and your vet feel it is right, and this will be different for everyone, depending on their circumstances and their vets views.  :shades: It is not always possible or appropriate to leave a female intact or wait till after her 1st heat, so it is not "wrong" or bad to spay early  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
Despite all of these studies, the only "right time" to spay is when you and your vet feel it is right, and this will be different for everyone, depending on their circumstances and their vets views.  :shades: It is not always possible or appropriate to leave a female intact or wait till after her 1st heat, so it is not "wrong" or bad to spay early  :blink:

Nobody said it is wrong, I only wanted to give you an idea of the pros and cons of spaying. Most vets "forget" to tell the cons... With this article you can make up your own mind of spaying or not and when.

If Saartje wasn't having so much problems I wouldn't  have let here spayed at all.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 09:22:24 PM »

If a bitch is spayed before her first season it is said to rule out mammary cancer in later life. It is also stops them getting a pyometra.
I  personally prefer to let a bitch grow up before spaying and spay after first season, but that is just my opinion.
When your vet said she will have a period in August, do you mean a season ?  If she has been spayed this is impossible as the womb and ovaries are removed. Has this been done. Or has she just had her tubes tied ?
Spaying also may not cure aggression.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

thank you for your reply vet already asked me to give her 4 injections of different medicines and one vet assistant is coming to my place to give her injection, however first night she was reacting very strangly but yes from last two days she is getting normal... however i would ask experts about how is the time of 51/2 months to spay a female dog....? its a right time or not... as she was getting very aggressive but after checking by vet ... vet said she will have periods in august........please inform ... is jade spayed at the right time...?
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »

As a rescue we get all our dogs (male and female) neutered around 6 months (it is in our contract for anyone who rehomes a pup from us as well). Vets do vary as to when they spay - some in the US are spaying as early as 12 weeks old yet my own vet in Wales suggests after their 1st season.

So as some others suggest you do it at a time in agreement with your own vet and if you're happy with that go with your vet's opinion

At the end of the day she has been spayed now and its more than likely she was acting strangely due to the anaesthetic - my own girl was fine when she had her spay but subsequent anaesthesia makes her act strangely during 1st 24 hours.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
its really true for first 12 hours jade was acting very strangely, she was releasing lot of watery substance from her mouth for more then 12 hours after operation and she was kept on roaming around in my room like she don't know what's happening to her for first 24 hours after operation..... now she is very playful ....... jumping a lot but i try to let her down always.............

Thank you.

Yogesh Aggarwal.
my closest friend-

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
Hello every body,

Today jade's bandage need's to be changed... vet in our area was out and the one who did surgery to jade said  i am out of city.....so i did her dressing on my on.....however....i mistakenly cleaned her place of stitches with savalon and she started crying i then realized and cleaned it and then placed a cotton dressing with betadine solution and did all dressing as the vet did to her after surgery......

experienced people please comment on this..their is any harm? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:.....help will be highly appreciated ..... as i already had word with vet (he said no issues with that if you cleaned the wound with savalon)

experts please comment...... as i am not sure about the vets at all.... as they refused to meet today and today was 5 days after operation...........please comment
my closest friend-

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
I have no experience with savalon or betadine, but just hope she is ok now - poor girl :luv: