Author Topic: Should I get pippin spayed and when?  (Read 533 times)

Offline pippinthecocker

Should I get pippin spayed and when?
« on: July 13, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »
I will be collecting our rescue working cocker next week, she is called pippin (which we are changing) and is 3 yrs old and not spayed. She is being rehomed due to being unable to breed and she was initially bought to breed from by her current owners. She has been covered with no success hence she is coming to us to a loving family home. She hasnt been spayed and they say she cant breed, however I wonder whether she could and they were just unlucky? I know nothing about breeding dogs so i could be wrong and they are right that she cant breed but I cant take that risk and think that I should get her spayed. What would be the negatives to having her spayed if they are right and she cant breed? Would i be putting her thro that for no reason?

If I am to get her spayed, how long should I wait before having her done after getting her home? xxx I need to take her to the vets in the first week for a check over anyway for my own peace of mind. xxx

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: Should I get pippin spayed and when?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
We got our 3yr old last November and decided to let her have a season first just really to give her time to settle in well before undergoing such an operation as she is such a timid little girl. We are planning having her spayed in around 4 months time as she has a season every 9 months.

When was her last season ?

Offline pippinthecocker

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
Well tbh, her seasons are a bit of an unknown. According to the owners she is with at the mo, she has only had one season with them and she has been with them for about 16 months plus now, and that was towards the start of being with them so she should have had another one by now. She isnt really timid just very sweet. I dont know how I would cope with her in season with 4 children and an immense amount of dogs in this area. She would be hyper staying indoors and the garden isnt big enough to not take her for a walk really it is just big enough for small playtimes and loo stops. I do agree about letting her settle in tho so maybe I should get her vet check done and then leave it for a month or more before getting her done? xxx

Offline stephremon

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
pros - decreased risk of mammary cancer (risk reduced when done sooner rather than later)
      -  Can't get pyometra (potentially life threatening infection of the uterus
      -  No unwanted pregnancy

cons - may cause a change in coat
       - weight gain can be associated with neutering (feeding may need to be adjusted post op)
       - risk of anaesthetic - there is a risk, but it is a routine procedure so these are minimal at a young age in a fit
and healthy animal.

Ideal time - 3months after the start of her last season.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
Generally midway between seasons is the ideal time to have a bitch spayed but if her seasons are very irregular I would ask your vet's advice and go from there. I got Tilly from rescue at 2 years old and if she hadn't already been spayed I'd have taken her in to be done pretty much straight away. I would see how she is when she comes to you and speak to your vet and then decide from there.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »

If I was taking on an adult female, I would definately be looking to spay as soon as possible.  The risks from Pyometra are very real, and increase with age... the Cavvie we had when I was young had this (Mum had been toying with the idea of breeding  ph34r but her seasons were too irregular...) and it was touch and go as to whether she would pull through...  :-\
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020