Author Topic: Baja has a limp-Update  (Read 1648 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Baja has a limp-Update
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »
Just over a week ago Baja developed a limp in his front left leg around the time he jumped from a trampoline to a swimming pool  ::)

We rested him for almost a week and it seemed to heal, OH took him for a walk on Thursday and he was fine. He walked well for just over an hour and was fine for the rest of the day.

Yesterday they went out to the field and played with the ball for an hour, within an hour of being home the limp was back and quite bad by the time I got home from work last night  :-\

I have booked him in at the vets for 3.40pm today so we will go and see what he thinks, but just wondering if anyone had any ideas on here what it could be?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Baja has a limp
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:08:32 AM »
No ideas Vikki, but fingers crossed it's something simple that just needs a bit more rest. Maybe he knocked his leg and it's still sore so stiffens up after exercise. Good luck at the vet this afternoon  :luv:

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »
Perhaps the ball playing was a bit too much for the injury cos they do twist and turn a lot. Whereas a walk, although he was out for an hour he probably didn't put as much strain on it. Lets hope its just some more rest prescribed :luv:
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »
We are back and he is on 14 days of rest  ph34r He can have the odd lead walk but nothing too strenuous. He also has a 14 day course of anti-inflammatories.

In 16 days we go back and if they can feel an improvement in the elbow area and the limping has gone then all should be good and we can increase his exercise, if not then they will do a x-ray, so please keep your fingers crossed  :blink:

The poor thing is really going to miss his long runs and tennis ball chasing, but it's got to be done.

I'm off to hide all the balls in preparation for him bringing them to us and asking to play  ;)

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
Re: Baja has a limp-Update
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
Poor Baja! I hope he is back to normal soon. 
I have had to go to the vets a few times with Betsy for a similar reason (she didnt try the trampoline though!) and we have to really limit her tennis ball chasing as she keeps pulling someything.   :'(

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
Aw poor Baja.  Sending him lots of hugs :bigarmhug: and  :-*  Lesley & Odie x
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
Poor Baja, hope the 2 weeks goes quickly and that he's fully recovered by the end of it.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 09:15:25 PM »
Aww poor Baja, I hope the 2 weeks rest does the trick :luv:  Tennis ball chasing definitely does put more strain on their legs and joints as they dive and twist quite a lot when they're fetching stuff like that.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sav

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »
Wish him all the best from me.  Rather him than Lenny though!  :005: ;)
Just me & my two boys, Jakey & Lenny, the Patterdale Terrier.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
Thanks everyone, he's doing ok today but hate to think how he will be after a week  ph34r

He really does love his tennis ball so I think it will be limited in the future and I'm going to do some research on to some extra supplements for him.

It's going to be a long two weeks!

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 11:03:35 PM »
Aww hope you start to feel better soon Baja.

Good luck Vikki on keeping him quiet!!!!

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 12:25:42 AM »
Oh bless poor Baja :luv: you be good for mum and dont cause havoc :005: :luv:. Get well soon lad :luv: xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »
Oh dear poor Baja, I would recommend total rest. Bella hurt her back leg last November and we took her to the vets, she had a course of metacam and seemed better but she would be fine one day and then limping the next. She was worse if she had not moved for a while. The vet we saw recommended short walks to keep her moving which is what we did but she would go for weeks and be fine and then pull it again. In May this year she hurt it again badly so off to the vets and he said total rest so she had no walks for 3 weeks and then she came into season so in total 6 weeks house rest and I must say that did the trick.
Its hard to keep them in and still but just pottering around the garden has hopefully finally healed this injury.
I hope that you little man improves soon.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 05:38:47 PM »
Oh dear poor Baja, I would recommend total rest. Bella hurt her back leg last November and we took her to the vets, she had a course of metacam and seemed better but she would be fine one day and then limping the next. She was worse if she had not moved for a while. The vet we saw recommended short walks to keep her moving which is what we did but she would go for weeks and be fine and then pull it again. In May this year she hurt it again badly so off to the vets and he said total rest so she had no walks for 3 weeks and then she came into season so in total 6 weeks house rest and I must say that did the trick.
Its hard to keep them in and still but just pottering around the garden has hopefully finally healed this injury.
I hope that you little man improves soon.

Poor Bella, sounds like rest did the trick for her. We rested him for a week before he started limping again, so I'm hoping with only 2 walks during 3 weeks we will see an improvement.

He was so much better even this morning, I think the pills must have kicked in over night  :blink:

Do you use supplements now with Bella?

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
I am very pleased to hear there is some improvement in him. We do have her on a supplement its called Flexadin and has glucosamine and chondriotin in it. I think we paid £21 for 90 tablets from one of the online vet stores, ( of which I have just updated as it was www.vetuk.co.uk other sites sell it too but are more expensive) 
I started to give her this once a day wrapped in a slice of ham, whether it helps or not I don't know for sure I just know that she is now the best she has been for months and finally has no sign of a limp.
Hopefully Bajas rest has helped him too, its awful to watch them hobbling around.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!