Author Topic: Advice please re ears on an 81/2 wk old puppy  (Read 770 times)

Offline Shelley2007

Advice please re ears on an 81/2 wk old puppy
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:32:21 AM »
Hi ya

We took Beans to the vets on monday for her jab & the vet noticed she had gakky ears (we only picked her up on sunday) - she examined them and couldn't see any mites thankfully so just gave us some ear drops (Surolan) to clean her ears with twice daily. I have been doing this regularly but have noticed the last couple days that her ears are really smelly, she hasnt been itching them as much as she was when we got her but i'm worried that their maybe more to the problem than just gak.
I'm gonna see how she is over the weekend & will take her in on monday to be checked again but I was wondering if anybody had any advice or experience on this.  :huh: :huh:

I really dont want my little girl being poorly at such a young age.  :'(

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Advice please re ears on an 81/2 wk old puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:49:30 AM »
I am so sorry Beans is having to have Surolan so young. Have you got something to wash them out with? Check the Thornits sticky thread above for good cleaners. If it's smelly it seems like a nasty infection to be honest.

If the ears don't clear up by Monday ask your vet for a swab of her ears to check the type of culture that is in the ear.

I'm sorry I'm very tired, hope what I've said makes sense.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:42:14 AM »
Our vet said that Gemma had 'dirty ears' and cleaned them - we were given stronghold to put on her neck as a flea treatment (she has a 'puppy care pack from the vet which includes worming and flea treatment as well as jabs and chiping).  On her second jab we were told that her ears were fine and that the stronghold would have cleared any mites present.  It might be worth getting your pup treated with Stronghold (if you haven't used any other flea treatment) whilst waiting for the swob results.
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline MOO-MOO

• Smile for the camera Moo!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »
Moo-Moo ( aged 5 ) had brown gunky ears a while back.

He had his ears swabbed and cultured which came back as a yeast infection.

I was given Trizedta ear cleanser and Surolan ear drops. Ears to be cleaned every day with the Trizedta for 2 weeks and drops to be administered twice daily.

After 2 weeks and check up at the vets, continue the same regime for another 2 weeks.

Ears cleared up very nicely but still have to clean his ears twice weekly with the Triz.
Heather.
Enjoy your big running at Rainbow Bridge Truda with Chloe and Moo Moo 💕💕💕 xx

Offline Shelley2007

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »
Thanks guys, they seem to be clearing up a lil bit now but are still quite smelly so i'm gonna take her to the vets tomorrow just to be sure. Will definately buy some of that powder though.

Offline Shelley2007

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
Panic over- her ears are fine nothing in there  :luv: . The vet just think its a smell shes still got from being with the rest of the puppies and has given us some puppy shampoo, lets hope it does the trick.  :005: :005: