Author Topic: Which Food?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Which Food?
« on: December 18, 2004, 11:40:45 AM »
I checked a couple of the other posts, saw some recommendations for natures diet/JWB etc, but I wonder...which brands do you recommend.

Storm is 10 months, currently on beta puppy (complete) with a helping of white fish/chicken mince/tripe or similar that i cook up with potatoes, rice, veggies etc twice a day.  She also has bonios or similar biscuits with her dinner.  I went for beta because it seemed a decent food that was not too pricey, and she is doing ok on what i feed her, happy and healthy enough etc.  Her weight is OK, if she gained a little it wouldnt hurt, but she is fine how she is.  

I was wondering what other people feed/recommend.

Also, what adult foods are recommended.  I am thinking of changing her to a mix of 1/2 JWB, and 1/2 beta or chappie complete, again with the meat and pulses and veggies etc to make it more interesting, using 1/2 of a more expensive food mixed with a less expensive option.  My mother feeds her dogs pedigree complete, which works well for her, but i have heard bad things about the additives in their food, I have used beta pet in the past (that dog was pretty much sedentary and hated exercising)

I'd be interested to know others views.  

Storm has quite an active lifestyle.  I want to feed her something decent, but not ridiculously expensive i.e. if there are two products that are both good quality, and equally effective, then i would go for the less pricey option.  

sportsmonki

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Which Food?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 12:36:44 PM »
If Storm is doing OK on what you're giving and it's within your budget then why are you looking to change? Each dog is different and what works for one won't necessarily work for another.  And changing your feeding programme can be the start of a very slippery road ending up with a fussy eater - which is a nightmare!

Stick with what works - the old addage - if it aint broke don't fix it - is very apt here. ;)  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Which Food?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 12:42:54 PM »
There's not really a 'best' food as such, more whats the best food for your dog. What suits one dog won't necessarily suit another. However, in saying that, I do believe some foods are better in others due to the ingredients they use. Diets such as Burns, JWB and Naturediet are all very good - they contain a lot more natural ingredients than other diets.  I feed Burns with a spoonful of naturediet added and my dogs do well on that but that doesn't mean that other dogs would.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but does Storm get meat, rice, potatoes and veg added to her meal? I better not let my boys know or they will be moving out ;)  Don't forget that the meal you are feeding is a complete diet which means that you shouldn't have to add any extras. I know most of us do add a little bit every now and again as a treat, but adding too much will upset the nutritional balance of the food.  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

Which Food?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 01:43:44 PM »
Stick with what she's eating now but move on to an adult version but cut out the additional food as you're probably overfeeding

I changed to Burns because it was gluten free, had no additives, and was cruelty free as well (also its great for keeping their weight down now that they're neutered and cats are doing well on the Burns cat food)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Which Food?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 12:19:56 PM »
Thank you all for your responses  :D   I just worry that I could be doing better for her...and had heard some real bad things about a couple of brands of food in particular which had fuelled my concern futher i guess.  

Yes, Gill, Storm does get meat, potato, rice or pasta and some veggies mixed in with every evening meal.  I try to give a good balance between those foods, so she gets the nutrients she needs.  In the morning she gets just the beta puppy complete, and in the evening about 1/2 biscuits and 1/2 the cooked stuff.  I'm not sure if I am overfeeding PennyB?  :unsure:  I was finding it very hard to keep the weight on her, and that is why I have gone to adding more of the extra stuff (after several breeders encouraged me to add more meat to her food to try get some more weight on her); it has been helping to keep her weight up, her weight is healthy, but still edging on the low side of ideal.  

thank you all,

sportsmonki  :D  

Offline PennyB

Which Food?
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 04:52:54 PM »
Wilf is on canine extra from burns which helps put/keep weight on him. Complete foods are just that complete and don't need any extras but some complete foods serve different purposes (keep weight on, take weight off, gluten free). We also have to bear in mind that sometimes we lose the goodness in the human foods that we cook for our dogs.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Which Food?
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 06:05:38 PM »
I fed Indie Burns initially, but he's now on Naturediet. James Wellbeloved is also a good diet.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Penel

Which Food?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 08:25:42 PM »
We also have to bear in mind that sometimes we lose the goodness in the human foods that we cook for our dogs.

so how about the fact that all commercially produced complete dog foods are cooked - don't you think the same applies to those too ?!

The only way to keep the original "goodness" is to feed a natural raw diet.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Which Food?
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 08:31:07 PM »
A natural raw organic diet maybe - I'm sure hormones and antibiotics from *natural* foods  aren't ideal either.

In my opinion it's all about personal choice and minimising the gooness lost from any diet, and I think that includes ALL foods we feed our dogs.

Also, personally I wouldn't feed a raw diet unless I knew the meat was guaranteed salmonella free - I'm not particularly wanting my kids exposed to that risk, and I don't subscribe to the view that dog's guts are too short to incubate it.

Here's a quote on it I found informative..
A: It is not clear that Salmonella does not affect dogs in a negative way. Most dogs do not get serious Salmonella infections, but that is probably because they do not usually get large doses of infected food/water as might occur if fed raw chicken. Furthermore, dogs can be carriers of Salmonella. so infected dogs can be a serious risk for human health. (Also note that raw chicken may lead to Campylobacter infections as well as Salmonella infections.)

There is ample epidemological evidence that dog feces may be an important source of environmental contamination, and spread of Salmonella to humans (try a search of PubMed for the keywords Salmonella AND dog). One reference directly related to inclusion of raw chicken in dogfood is:

Can Vet J 2002 Jun;43(6):441-2 Preliminary assessment of the risk of Salmonella infection in dogs fed raw chicken diets. Joffe DJ, Schlesinger DP.

Also note the following reference that mentions the incidence of disease in dogs:

Vaccine 2002 Feb 22;20(11-12):1618-23 Immunogenicity of chi4127 phoP- Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium in dogs. McVey DS, Chengappa MM, Mosier DE, Stone GG, Oberst RD, Sylte MJ, Gabbert NM, Kelly-Aehle SM, Curtiss R. "Salmonellae are commonly isolated from dogs. The number of dogs infected with Salmonella spp. is surprisingly high and greater than the incidence of clinical disease would suggest. Salmonellosis is common in greyhound kennels. Morbidity can approach 100% in puppies and the mortality ranges to nearly 40%."

Bleach is an effective disinfectant of the countertop, but it is essential that the area is thoroughly cleaned because the bleach may not effectively penetrate any dried residue.

Offline PennyB

Which Food?
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 08:48:01 PM »
I would've thought if people feed raw then you had to do your research to ensure (especially pups) get what they need and make any other additional supplements necessary for a growing dog. I'm also aware that you have to be careful not to give a growing dog too much protein.

I think making food more interesting is more about us rather than the dogs as I know from others experience of that eventually their dogs get very picky when one day they don't want to eat their 'normal' dog food and would rather eat human food.  
Friends of Hailey Park

Penel

Which Food?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 05:52:41 PM »
I'm amazed that all my puppies and dogs have grown up to be healthy and strong then given all that info  :lol:  and also am surprised I haven't died from Salmonella or Campylobacter !!!  there is plenty of info out there against raw feeding - but to be honest I just need to see how well my dogs are in order to know I'm doing the right thing.  I get most of my meat and bones from an organic butcher free so am not worried about the hormones and antibiotics - which will still be in kibble by the way !  My dogs get a huge variety of raw food, and will eat anything that is put in front of them !

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Which Food?
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 08:36:02 PM »
I'm amazed that all my puppies and dogs have grown up to be healthy and strong then given all that info  :lol:  and also am surprised I haven't died from Salmonella or Campylobacter !!!  there is plenty of info out there against raw feeding - but to be honest I just need to see how well my dogs are in order to know I'm doing the right thing.  I get most of my meat and bones from an organic butcher free so am not worried about the hormones and antibiotics - which will still be in kibble by the way !  My dogs get a huge variety of raw food, and will eat anything that is put in front of them !
My point was you were making a case for raw food being more nurtitionally appropriate for dogs than prepared dog foods - you have proved my point by agreeing that there are undesirable things pertaining to both diets, namely unwanted hormones and antibiotics.

I wouldn't take the risk having three children, and would be very wary of feeding a puppy raw food - we have a very sick pup in work at the moment with camp.- and it can also be passed to children.

Offline lizzie13

• Site Member
Which Food?
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 01:30:24 AM »
I have previosly worked as for2 "super premium " manufacturers and beleive this is the way to go.
Personally I do not rate Beta at all and not even JWB as a "super premium" food.
I believe the best possible ingredients that you feed is the best  for your dog.
 At present I feed Arden Grange which is "whea

Offline lizzie13

• Site Member
Which Food?
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 01:46:51 AM »
Sorry for some reason got "disconected" in mid -flow.
At present i feed "Arden Grange" which is Wheat Gluten/Additive  Free and very palatable.
For a dog upto 12months I would feed graduate and I believe this to be a very good food.
There are many foods on the market today but it is finding the right one for your dog.
From my experience the best advice I can give is - find a super premium food with first class ingredients with no additives etc that your dog likes and finds pallatable - because at the end of the day if he/she doesn't like it it is irrelevant of how good the food is.
We can all go into the ingredients lists ( which i can do in great detail) but as long as the quality is there via the ingredients list and it is doing the dog good in my opinion that is all that matters.
No matter what advertising campaigns and what is recommended "word of mouth" look at the ingredient list on a bag and it will speak volumes!!
I personally beleive there are 3/4 good complete foods on the market and I believe by feeding these you will see a very healthy, contended dog.

Penel

Which Food?
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 08:32:32 PM »
No matter what advertising campaigns and what is recommended "word of mouth" look at the ingredient list on a bag and it will speak volumes!!

:)  absolutely - which is why I feed raw  :lol:

Before I fed raw, nearly 5 yrs ago now,  I fed Burns, or Naturediet - I believe those two to be the best options for people who want to feed a commercial processed dog food.