Author Topic: Spayed 8 month old Puppy  (Read 1465 times)

Offline ziggy9269

• Lily - My Sweet little Blue Cocker
Spayed 8 month old Puppy
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
Hi everyone.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.   :021:

I have a lovely little 8 month old cocker pup Lily, who was spayed 2 days ago. I have had cockers for years and most of them were spayed with no problems what so ever.

Lily is still very reluctant to walk, and is constantly crying. She is just lying on her bed. I have been given pain killers, and she has a little dressing where she was stiched up. I have rang the vet today and they have said that all dogs are different, and that she will be sore, and if necessary to ring the emergency number over the weekend.

My other bitches who were spayed were fine by the next day, and walking ok, but Lily refuses to walk, and really cried out when she had a wee. I have explained all of this to the vet, but he said not to worry as long as she is eating and going for a wee.

I know I may be over reacting, and I am sorry if you all think I am but its the crying and not wanting to walk which is worrying me. She is eating, drinking and has had a wee since her op but I just wondered if anyone had experienced a similar reaction to this? Obviously it is a big op for her and I know she will be uncomfortable, but its this crying   :016:

Poor little girl. I love her to bits and it is awful to see her like this. Maybe she is just reacting more to the anaesthetic than my other doggies did.

Like I say, just to see if anyone else had experienced this with their ladies. Thanks

Offline Lucianne

Re: Spayed 8 month old Puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
Oh your poor girl!  :'(  I'm sure someone will be along with advice - in the meantime I'm sending her a very gentle hug!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
Have a look at my post re. Annie here: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=79458.0

She was spayed a week last thursday and it was a good 4-5 days before she began to really recover. She's still quieter and "sadder" than normal now  :-\ I took her to the vet for a check on Thursday and she said that she often found cockers took longer to recover than other breeds  :dunno:

As long as Lily is eating, weeing and pooing OK, and able to sleep when she needs to, then she's probably fine.  :bigarmhug: to both of you.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
Is she crying every time she tries to wee? Could she have urine infection or some other kind of infection?

helen & jarvis x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
My Penny was spayed recently at 8 yrs and her recovery was pretty similar to your girls. She oozed from her wound site, she bled from her vagina and she seemed very uncomfortable. She was sent home of painkillers and antibiotics but she really didn't want to move very much and she would cry out in pain. Despite a softer diet she became constipated, because every time she tried to squat, it was probably hurting her wound site. I've never seen a dog who cried in so much pain and seemed to try to stop herself going to the toilet. In the end I gave her some of my MIL's senna tablets and lactulose. I told the vet and they said they would have given me the same. She did go but I kept her on them for about 10 days because I needed her bowels to stay loose. Think she was about 10 days post op when she finally had a poop without screaming. She was fine after that but I felt awful.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
When Lyla was spayed the stitches were all the dissolving kind and Lyla breezed through it all.  Kali on the other hand, used to whizz round and squeal and generally do vertical take offs.  We found that the dressing was stuck on her hair and it must have been pulling which didn't help her being comfy at all.  Could the dressing be the culprit?  If you think so, get the vet to take it off and buy a legless baby sleepsuit....far kinder!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
Thanks everyone.

She is looking so sad and she cried out just before, which made me jump about 10 feet in the air!!

She has had her next painkiller and is currently sleeping on my bed ( I know, its bad really but as long as she is a bit more comfy and can have a snooze  :D )

Sheryl - I also thought it may be the dressing but it is stuck firmly to her skin!!! There has also been loads of water coming out of her nose, which I also told the vet, but again he seemed ok with it???

She has had some chicken and has had a good drink, so I guess it may take a bit longer with her. My dear little black cocker Ziggy (who dead 2 years ago) was spayed at 7 months, and was playing and wanting to go for a walk at tea time on the same day. She was jumping up at people and I had to keep stopping her!!

bluegirl - it has been bleeding where she is stitched, but oh dear she is not as bad as your poor Penny. Bless her... Lily has asked to go out, I presume for a wee (or Tiddles as we call it  :005: ) and then she started to try and squat, then just stood there shaking...

Helen - I asked the vet if she might have a little infection, but he had a good look ( ph34r) and said everything was ok...

I will keep an eye on her over the weekend, and see how she goes. I was supposed to be out tonight but I want to stay in and nurse the little patient  ;)

Thanks everyone, I will pass on the hugs   ;)

But I guess we, and all little creatures react differently.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
Brodie was the exact same, I was so worried about her :'(. We weren't given any painkillers to take home and ended up going back for some. I think one of the problems was the dressing - it was on really tight and I think it must have been pulling at her skin and making her really uncomfortable - it was a nightmare to get off :-\. She also developed a slight infection at the wound. It took her a few days but she was soon back to her usual self. I hope your girl is back to normal soon :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
Could she be constipated? Have you seen her open her bowels yet?

Penny had a pressure bandage applied and wadding underneath but nothing was ever stuck to her skin like a plaster.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »
The vet told us to take the dressing off as soon as she got home  :dunno: The babygro protected the wound.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
I must admit, I started picking Kali's dressing off when I got home as it caused more problems than it solved! ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »
How is Lily?

Offline ziggy9269

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 12:03:59 AM »
Well Lily has finally shown some great improvement today. I have been so worried about her. I rang the vet yesterday and explained everything, but again he said some dogs react differently to operations, etc.

She is now wagging her little tail again, giving me my cuddles and I took her for a little walk on the beach this morning, and she just woofed in delight all the way there and all the way back   :005:  It was a lovely morning, clear blue skies and she even played with the seaweed   :lol2:  She is weeing and pooping as normal, and I got some strange looks this morning when I was jumping up and down on the spot, clapping when she had a poop  :005:

Up until last night, she just circled and circled on her bed, picked at her food, and even when the front doorbell rang she jus sat in her bed. And that is sooo not her. Maybe she was just uncomfortable; I even asked the vet if she was in pain, but she did have her pain killers regularly.

She is having her stitches checked tomorrow, and they will be out next Monday...

Like I said in the beginning of this post, my other little cocker who was spayed was great by the following day, no probs, and I think because Lily was sooo different I panicked... I know I sound really sad, but I just adore her sooo much.

Anyway thanks everyone for all your ideas and information, I really appreciate it   :D

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
Glad to hear Lily's much better  :D