Author Topic: Which Piriton/similar product can I use OK for dogs?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Which Piriton/similar product can I use OK for dogs?
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
Hi, I want to be prepared in case Odie is stung as he's taken to chasing bees and wasps this year >:(
I looked on the shelves in Tesco and found various Piritize and similar products but they all were one a day. 

Am I correct in thinking it's the ones that can be taken 2/3 times a day which are OK for dogs NOT the once a day ones?   

They must only be available over the counter so what do I ask for and what can I say they are for (as they won't give me them for dogs ph34r)  Cheers, Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Which Piriton/similar product can I use OK for dogs?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »
I use Asdas own, much cheaper and active ingredients identical. They are the ones you can take several times a day and sort her stinging nettle irritation out a treat. You can pick them up off of the shelf

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »
I use to use wilkinsons own make only 99p for 7 days supply. Y ou are only paying for the named brand not much in it really. x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »
Do you just give them one tablet if they are stung, or another after a certain time.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »
Ive only ever used one on Freya when shes going beserk from the nettles, takes about an hour (she tends to snooze) and then theres no more trouble. I don't know about a more painful sting like a wasp, luckily we haven't been in that situation yet. Freya is also such a small cocker I would worry about giving her any more  :-\

Offline emma_and_tilly

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
I've only used the piriton in a bottle that i normally use for kids, just gave her 2 1/2 ml twice and she was ok - will look out for the ASDA one though as I get through a lot with 4 kids!!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:46:49 PM »
When Dougie was stung by a wasp I gave him one Piriton and he was fine within an hour or so, the swelling went down and the pain eased enough for me to touch his face again. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »
Thanks everyone :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
You can take more than one Piriton a day. When I had anaphalaxic shock I was on one Piriton every four hours for three days.

So what is the best thing to go for? One generic branded one or more than one for bee stings?
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »
Jasper is on Piriton at the moment and we get them from the vet they cost very little.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses