Author Topic: cracked pads  (Read 927 times)

Offline CorinneF

cracked pads
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:11:01 AM »
I have read previous threads about cut pads but it seemed to only be about "accidents". I was wondering what I could do to smooth Poppy's rough and cracked pads to make them soft again (like when she was a pup)?
any advice appreciated  :D
Corinne owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
Re: cracked pads
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:15:01 AM »
Paw wax is probably your best bet. Pets at home sell it I think; it comes in a little round tin. I use it on bella and it does make a difference (would probably work even better if I remembered to put it on regularly  :005:)

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:14:59 AM »
If the pad isn't split open or causing a problem, would you want to soften it again? Surely the hardening is just the way it's supposed to be. A soft pad would be suceptible to damage, wouldn't it?

Posie's pads are not only hard now, but also have frequent cracks in them that don't go very deep and clearly don't cause her any concern. They aren't cuts, just crackes.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »

Would fish4dogs salmon oil or Yumega oil help.  sorry she has sore paws.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
If the pad isn't split open or causing a problem, would you want to soften it again? Surely the hardening is just the way it's supposed to be. A soft pad would be suceptible to damage, wouldn't it?

Posie's pads are not only hard now, but also have frequent cracks in them that don't go very deep and clearly don't cause her any concern. They aren't cuts, just crackes.

I have to agree that if they arent causing a problem thats how they are meant to be. Otherwise they would hurt and get damaged when walking on hard surfaces (pavements etc).

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
Freya suffers from the same thing with her nose and her paw pads.....................when they start to crack, I just rub vaseline in...........and keep applying it.  It seems to do the trick for her.  :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline CorinneF

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »
thanks for the advice. i was just thinking about us humans with cracked heels... they're not really meant to be like that so maybe the same applied to doggies...
Corinne owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »
Our feet would be like that if we didn't wear shoes. It's just the natural state of feet that start off so soft. I've known people who spend plenty of time shoeless and they have far less cracked skin than the rest of us, due mainly to the skin getting so hard. They certainly didn't complain of any discomfort from the cracks that they did get.

I'd love for Posie to have those lovely soft pads again, if only for my own sake, but she'd be in all sorts of trouble in the woods and on the beach if she didn't have those natural booties to protect her.

Now if I could somehow get rid of those bloody claws...  >:(