Author Topic: Holliday in the New Forest (snakes) advice please(Oops it the Forest of Dean)  (Read 5606 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Were going on holiday soon to the New Forest, but i met a man day who said he wont go to places like that because they have snakes. So its got me thinking of what i should do if the worst happens and any of my dogs get bitten.

1.   I always take piriton with me on holiday but is there anything else i should take as a precaution.
2.   If one of the dogs gets bitten what action should i take.

I have never been to the New Forest, are there loads of snakes and is it common for dogs to get bitten.

Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Ebbysmum

• Donator
  • Lexi 5, Ebony 4, Maddie 1 and Gracie 2
Re: Holliday in the New Forest (snakes) advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
No advice sorry, but we have been to the New Forest loads of times, dogs love it and never seen a snake! Have a great time.  :D
www.saltdogstudios.co.uk  www.facebook.com/saltdogstudios
Handmade Dog Collars, Leads and Accessories

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
No advice sorry, but we have been to the New Forest loads of times, dogs love it and never seen a snake! Have a great time.  :D

Thanks for that, i'm really looking forward to it.  I had never given a second thought to snakes until this man said that.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
You can get adders in the New Forest but they are easily scared so you shouldn't see any. If your dog gets bitten, the advice is to take straight to a vet.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »
It's unlikely your dog would be bitten during the summer - it's more likely when the snakes are a bit dopey in early spring and autumn.

My Weimaraner was bitten on one of the first warm spring days by an adder last year (we're in a very highly populated snake area in the Surrey Hills) and it's the first time in 10 years of owning dogs around here that I've had one bitten. She's quite a ground hunter/digger though and I suspect that didn't help. She was extremely ill with it but survived. I gave her piriton as soon as I realised what had happened and got her to a vet as quickly as I could where she was supported through the poisoning with steroids, fluids and antibiotics for 2 days before coming home feeling very sorry for herself. Most vets don't stock anti-venom (it's expensive, doesn't last long and is hard to get hold of), there is also quite a lot of research now to suggest that the survival rate with supportive treatment is just as high as when treating with anti-venom also. The massive swelling on her face and neck was frightening but it was all back to normal within a couple of weeks :luv:

In theory, if you realise your dog has been bitten try not to let them walk as it will slow down the effect of the poison around there body while you get them to a vet for help - I didn't have that option as my dog is too big to carry so the poor love had to walk about 3 miles home before a 30 min car journey to the vet :'(

The symptoms are usually very rapid - I noticed some blood on her nose (from the puncture wound) but thought it was a thorn cut intially, then about 10 mins later she suddenly started to slow down until she was stood still with her head hanging - that was when the penny dropped for me and I started walking her back as quickly as I dared and the swelling on her face and neck started minutes after that.

MOST dogs will survive an adder bite even if it's very unpleasant for them. Dogs tend to get bitten on extremities (nose/face) which can cause swelling around their throats and restrict breathing short term, or legs and feet which 'can' result in the need for amputation if not treated quickly with strong antibiotics etc.

Basically, Adder bites are very rare even in a highly populated snake area as they are generally shy creatures but if you are unlucky and your dog is bitten - give piriton, try and restrict your dogs movement after it's been bitten by carrying them if you can and get to a vet ASAP - noting the time you think the bite happened.

Even having had a dog that's been bitten, I really wouldn't let it restrict where I take them, I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
Hopefully you won't need the vets but just in case this is the details for a local N.F Surgery that will see animals in an emergency even if they are not registered with them....http://www.forestlodgevets.com/

I have been walking in the New Forest for many years & have never come across any snake's.  :shades:  I hope i haven't tempted fate now  :fear2:
We are having a col meet up with Robbie34 this coming monday 13th.  :D  Just thought i would mention in case you are travelling down the weekend & fancy meeting too.   :shades: :D  I hope you have a fab holiday, it truly is a beautiful area with fab walks too.  :luv: :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
I've been walking dogs daily in the New Forest since 1987 and during that time I've seen adders probably a dozen or maybe fifteen times in all, mostly sunning themselves in a sunny spot fairly early in the day to warm up. They're active from about March to October and can be found on heathlands and in woodlands through much of the UK. The New Forest is just one of many places where they can be found.

I don't worry about them very much, but I make sure I know what to do just in case. The closest encounter any of my dogs has had was many years ago when my first 2 Cockers were trotting just ahead of me on a wide path in fairly open woodland one warm afternoon. I saw an adder coiled up on the path just as the dogs drew level with it. They didn't notice it and had trotted past it before I even had time to think what to do. I let the dogs carry on and walked past it myself, just giving it a bit of a wide berth.

In all those years of dog walking in the New Forest I've personally known just 2 dogs that were bitten, a Cocker and and an English Pointer. Both survived although the Pointer was very poorly for a few days. I've heard of several other dogs being bitten but I've only ever heard of 1 that died, which was a young Husky puppy.

So please don't become unduly worried. Any self respecting adder will slither away given the chance if it hears noisy dogs or humans approaching and if you are one of the very few unlucky people whose dog is bitten follow the good advice given by Hannah.

My vet practice, with surgeries in Lyndhurst and Totton will deal with emergencies for animals not registered with them. Their website is http://www.midforestvets.co.uk/homepage1.htm and it might be worth checking their location as well as the one that Wendy posted the link to and see which is nearer to where you'll be staying.

PS. Don't do what one of my work colleagues did a few years ago. Despite being a local girl who should have known better she touched an adder that she saw sunning itself and ended up in hospital for a couple of days after it bit her finger.

Offline lisvic

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
I also walk in highly populated snake area in Surrey-I see them at least 2/3 times a week. As others have said at this time of year they tend to move well away from people/dogs.

This Spring Fenton did stand and watch one slither through his legs (confused spaniel) with me holding my breath  ph34r

Don't worry you are highly unlikely to experience a bite!
Lisa and Fenton ....

Offline stephremon

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
On a gundog training day a few weeks back a lady with a labrador had big jingle bells tied on to their collars to discourage snakes, adders dont  like the noise so it scares them off apparently... could be something worth considering :huh:

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »
Thankyou all for your replies, the information you have given is exactly what i wanted to know, its always better to be prepared just in case, but hopefully i wont be meeting any snakes on this visit.

We are having a col meet up with Robbie34 this coming monday 13th.  :D  Just thought i would mention in case you are travelling down the weekend & fancy meeting too.   :shades: :D  I hope you have a fab holiday, it truly is a beautiful area with fab walks too.  :luv: :luv:

Thanks for the invite but we will only be getting there the last week of June.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

Offline karen488

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
Like the bell idea. We're in a snakey area and am not keen at all.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Well just found out im not going the New Forest im going the Forest of Dean, good job i did not arrange any meet ups :D I am officially hopeless at geography, i once spent a great weekend in Wales, it was only when i got home that it came out in conversation i had actually spent the weekend in the Lakes. :005:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
 :lol: :lol: :lol:  oh waggytails that is soo....funny  :005:
Anyone in the Forest of Dean area?  :lol2:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie