Author Topic: Slip disk  (Read 1398 times)

Offline seaangler

Slip disk
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:48:46 PM »
After are visit to the veterinary hospital yesterday...Peggy according to the vet said she is coming along well apart from one little niggle on the top right hand side hip..Shes just not putting her full weight down on it 98% is...She is on a five minit walk every day and will be extended to ten next week and so forth....

As soon as Peggy is well and fit enough we will have her  spay (as long as its not to late for her) just to make sure she never has any pups.....I would hate to pass any problems over....

As any other members on C.O.L have had the same problem with a slip disc...with there dog..I know she will never be able to chase balls again..We did ask the vet and he said she would  be able to but not on such a grand skale..But we are so scared it may reoccur again......What are your thoughts....

P.S The vet did say that this was proplem with a lot of owners of cockers....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Slip disk
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »
Yes after Niki's slipped disc he was fine. He ran around like a nutter for the rest of his days, however make sure you take her gently so she heals fully.

Glad she's recovering well, Chris.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline jessandme

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »
Our first cocker Lucy had disk problems, at first they thought she had arthritis but x ray showed it was a disk.  She had to have crate rest for a week, not easy as we had not crate trained her before then, but we managed between us and afterwards she made a good recovery although it did take quite a while. 

We were always careful with her after that, but she did get back to running around happily.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »
Thank you both for your replys....Yes Peggy is in her grate...No up staires no bed and NO jumping up...Very hard work its like handing the wife her wages for the week she to goes potty ;) :D

I am taking Cindy out first and the wife takes Peggy phoos ten minits later  She is now on five minits there and five back each day...Will be longer next week

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
Hi Chris hope she continues to progress nicely :luv:

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
My Welsh Springer Spaniel has a disc problem in his neck and really it comes and goes. When he seems a bit poorly he gets Rimadyl but most of the time he can behave normally although I am careful about what he gets up to. But I believe that over 90 per cent of dogs make a complete recovery so hopefully that will be the case for you.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 10:38:43 PM »
Hello Chris

Hope she continues to do well, I have no experience of this problem, but just wanted to wish her a speedy recovery and good luck with trying to keep her off the beds!  Since Indies illness last week, I have decided that I am not letting her jump up on the beds anymore, our bed is quite high and Indie is 8 now and its probably so easy for her to injure herself.  I did see dog steps on the shopping board, they are from Amazon and were about £30 they looked quite good, but not sure if they would be any good for your situation?   Instead of sleeping on the bed, I now take Indie up in her soft crate and she sleeps next to us instead, it did take her a couple of nights to get used to not being allowed on the bed, but she settles quickly now.

Emma