Author Topic: Those of you with dogs diagnosed with hip dysplasia..........  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Some of you may know Harry was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia a few months ago & I'm glad to say with on lead walks & hydro his muscles have built up considerably  :D

I was however talking to somebody recently who breeds Labs & hip scores the parents who said she'd heard of vets who look at the x-rays & then tell the owner it's not worth sending the x-rays off to be scored as they're so bad, they may as well save their money  :o  >:D
Obviously this is only hearsay

It did get me thinking though, as I for one have not (yet) had Harry's hips scored & so there is no record with the KC or BVA that he has HD - so how can the records be right?  My vet never mentioned it.

Looking at the bva site 70,893 labs have been scored & 1013 cockers.
I for one always think that labs are the most common breed to suffer from HD & hardly heard of it in cockers, which is obviously reflected in these results.

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/Breed_Specific_Statistics.pdf

I think it costs £45 to be hip scored.

Has anybody else had their cockers hips scored after being diagnosed with HD?

Surely if we did, this would bring the BMS down wouldn't it?

Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Those of you with dogs diagnosed with hip dysplasia..........
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
I was however talking to somebody recently who breeds Labs & hip scores the parents who said she'd heard of vets who look at the x-rays & then tell the owner it's not worth sending the x-rays off to be scored as they're so bad, they may as well save their money  :o  >:D

That does happen at some vets - I think their reasoning behind that is that if the hips are obviously bad then the dog won't be bred from so no real need to have an official score. But I do think submitting them regardless would be beneficial to the bigger picture.

If the HD is diagnosed with a normal hip x-ray though, it would mean having to put the dog under a second anaesthetic as x-rays taken for scoring need to have KC reg and microchip number on the plate and that might put a lot of people off  :-\

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline maggieann

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
A couple of years ago my vet x-rayed Torin's hips and told me they were in a bad way, they even said that there was a piece of bone missing from his hip. Last year I took Torin to see an orthopaedic surgeon, as he has luxating patellas, whilst there I asked for his hips to be checked - the orthopaedic surgeon said that Torin's hips were nearly perfect. I would now always ask for a referral.
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »

If the HD is diagnosed with a normal hip x-ray though, it would mean having to put the dog under a second anaesthetic as x-rays taken for scoring need to have KC reg and microchip number on the plate and that might put a lot of people off  :-\

Oh I didn't realise that Jay, I was going to ask the vet when I next spoke to him.
I (obviously wrongly) assumed the original x-rays could just be sent off  ph34r

This could be a short thread then  :005:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »
I was however talking to somebody recently who breeds Labs & hip scores the parents who said she'd heard of vets who look at the x-rays & then tell the owner it's not worth sending the x-rays off to be scored as they're so bad, they may as well save their money  :o  >:D

That does happen at some vets - I think their reasoning behind that is that if the hips are obviously bad then the dog won't be bred from so no real need to have an official score. But I do think submitting them regardless would be beneficial to the bigger picture.

Personally think it makes a lot of sense to do this - so that, as you say there is a bigger picture of exactly how widespread the problem is.  You'd think the Vets Assoc (don't know the proper title) and KC could get together and say if its suspected, lets collect the information on the first x-ray.... so it becomes part of the routine. Never happen I guess.... :dunno:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
Unfortunately Hip Scoring is a lot more expensive than £45 -  the anaesthetic, the x-ray plates, the vet's fee's etc so that's why some breeders choose not to do it  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Unfortunately Hip Scoring is a lot more expensive than £45 -  the anaesthetic, the x-ray plates, the vet's fee's etc so that's why some breeders choose not to do it  :-\
Sorry, maybe I should have made it clearer, I wasn't asking about breeders hip scoring.

I appreciate the costs as you've detailed, but if the dog has been diagnosed with HD, surely they wouldn't do that without an x-ray.  What I meant was we'd have already paid all the other fees & the additional cost is £45.00 for having a dog scored under the scheme & results therefore recorded

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 12:26:17 PM »
I've told my vet that if Tali ever has to be put out for something that I want him hip scored, just in case. If it's there, we know in advance, if it's good, it's another score to add to the average. Unless I was breeding, which I'm not with Tali, I wouldn't have it done electively unless HD was suspected.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline stephremon

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »

It would push the BMS up as the score of a dog with HD would be higher as perfect hips would score 0:0
If you look at Bernese MD they commonly have bad hips and suffer from HD and the BMS is something like 26. The lower the BMS the better the score of hips submitted for scoring therefore the lower the chance of HD as the dogs have better hips.... bit ,umblejumbled but made sense in my head lol

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »

It would push the BMS up as the score of a dog with HD would be higher as perfect hips would score 0:0
If you look at Bernese MD they commonly have bad hips and suffer from HD and the BMS is something like 26. The lower the BMS the better the score of hips submitted for scoring therefore the lower the chance of HD as the dogs have better hips.... bit ,umblejumbled but made sense in my head lol
You're absoultely right  ;) but glad you could see what I was trying to get at  ph34r  

ETA: 
So the Bernese MD BMS is 15 according to the BVA, cockers is 13, Clumber is 35, Bullodgs & Otterhounds are in their 40's  :-\

Offline seaangler

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
Are Cindy is now 11 years old and has H.D..Shes on Dietary food two keep her weight down to under 33k and pain killers as she getting older she struggles to get up...We did not know until a few weeks later are Cindy was sitting down all the time until we had her x rayed at the vets then we was told she had Harley any ball and socket at all on her right side her left side was not to bad...But her mother and father weer both hip and eye sored O/K....My argement is for what it is worth all pups shuld be xrayd after all the breeders ask the earth for the pup and the cost added on simple..If the person wonting to buy and being abl eto afford to do so  i do not see a proplem!!!!!I

P.S Six mounts we took to walk her gentley and no stairs to clime untill her hips could form..To what little that she has.....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline jinter

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
What score is acceptable and what is not.
And what do I look for to see if my dog has hip dysplasia.
Jan

Offline seaangler

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
What score is acceptable and what is not.
And what do I look for to see if my dog has hip dysplasia.
Jan

I am sure its 15 or there abouts...

0/0 is very rare and worst i think is 53/53...Thats just looking in my note book..I am sure if you do a google it will tell you more better than i can...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy