Author Topic: Zen spent the night at the vets.  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Zen spent the night at the vets.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »
could he have eaten a toad?
Bit random :huh:

From experience in my misspent youth, yes you do get a hangover from magic mushrooms  ph34r

:buttkick: :011:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
Glad to see Zen is ok after his ordeal.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »

From experience in my misspent youth, yes you do get a hangover from magic mushrooms  ph34r

not random at all JeffandAnnie - my friends working cocker goes hunting frogs toads a lot when he's let out at night for a wee and his mouth always froths if manages to catch one - he doesn't fit but some dogs been known to have minor fits after eating/licking them.  Although UK toads are (obviously) not as poisonous as other countries toads they still secrete a substance which makes dogs froth and over-salivate (it can look like shaving foam!).

It's far more likely than eating a random magic mushroom unless he likes eating mushrooms anyway  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »

not random at all JeffandAnnie - my friends working cocker goes hunting frogs toads a lot when he's let out at night for a wee and his mouth always froths if manages to catch one - he doesn't fit but some dogs been known to have minor fits after eating/licking them.  Although UK toads are (obviously) not as poisonous as other countries toads they still secrete a substance which makes dogs froth and over-salivate (it can look like shaving foam!).

It's far more likely than eating a random magic mushroom unless he likes eating mushrooms anyway  ;)

If Zen saw anything move, he would run a mile. It is extremely unlikely that it would be a toad or frog as he would be very wary of it. What would be the cause of him whining and barking whilst being sick? He seemed to be in pain :-\
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
I'm not saying it was definitely a toad Lynne, I was responding to JeffandAnnie as clearly they thought I was mad suggesting it  :huh:

He wouldn't have had to eat it, a lick is enough for a frog/toad to excrete from it's outer skin.  When licked it may cause adverse side effects, such as behavioural changes, breathing problems, bleeding, vomiting, nausea and lethargy.  It could be that he found a dead/dying toad? It could also explain why there was nothing there when he vomited  :huh:

Alfie the toad catcher usually froths at the mouth (looks like shaving foam) and he's vomited a couple of times.  He still catches them though  :lol2:

Does Zen normally eat mushrooms? 
helen & jarvis x

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
I'm not saying it was definitely a toad Lynne, I was responding to JeffandAnnie as clearly they thought I was mad suggesting it  :huh:

He wouldn't have had to eat it, a lick is enough for a frog/toad to excrete from it's outer skin.  When licked it may cause adverse side effects, such as behavioural changes, breathing problems, bleeding, vomiting, nausea and lethargy.  It could be that he found a dead/dying toad? It could also explain why there was nothing there when he vomited  :huh:

Alfie the toad catcher usually froths at the mouth (looks like shaving foam) and he's vomited a couple of times.  He still catches them though  :lol2:

Does Zen normally eat mushrooms? 

Zen will eat anything........

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
well if he has a history of eating mushrooms your vet is probably right - strange that there was no sign of mushroom when he vomited.

I find it a bit strange that my posts about toads are attracting such antipathy - after all it's actually quite common.
helen & jarvis x

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
Well I am with you Helen on this on my JR loved toads and would catch them, shake them and toss them in the air :o until they shot that foam stuff at him then he would let them go. Really it could have been anything if he is anything like mine >:D

I am so pleased that he is back home and hope he gets better real soon big squggles for him from me an Selby :luv:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »
We all know how expert Cockers are at picking up things without even breaking stride, be it toads, magic mushrooms or any other unsavoury (to us) items . I'm just thankful that Zen's recovered with no further ill effects. :luv:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
Zen says a big thank you for all your good wishes. :lol2:

He is going to be a good boy now :angel: and not eat anything he shouldn't.  Fat chance.... :-\

Offline wendyt

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
Helen
I had a friend with a lab who used to go after frogs and toads, he used to froth at the mouth and would be sick occassionally. Last summer Murphy was in the garden with me when he started shaking his head and was frothing really badly I was really concerned about him and was checking him over when he gave a cough and out dropped a LADYBIRD!! I spoke to a veterinary nurse and she said that Ladybird's can secrete a nasty tasting substance  :huh: You just never know !!

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 07:18:15 PM »

I find it a bit strange that my posts about toads are attracting such antipathy - after all it's actually quite common.

When I read the original post I too was going to suggest ingestion or at least 'lickage of a toad' so I don't think it is an unreasonable possible explanation Helen  :D  My friend's Lakeland is forever doing this and not only does she (the dog  :005:) end up foaming at the mouth, if she has been exposed for long enough she also vomits copiously and then 'faints'.  To date she has always recovered well ..... (but my friend lives in hope  :005:)

ETA - hope Zen has a quiet night and is soon on the road to recovery  :luv:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »

Sorry  :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »

Sorry  :005:

no problem  ;)  and you're well within your rights to think I'm nuts  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »
Helen
I had a friend with a lab who used to go after frogs and toads, he used to froth at the mouth and would be sick occassionally. Last summer Murphy was in the garden with me when he started shaking his head and was frothing really badly I was really concerned about him and was checking him over when he gave a cough and out dropped a LADYBIRD!! I spoke to a veterinary nurse and she said that Ladybird's can secrete a nasty tasting substance  :huh: You just never know !!

that's weird!  never heard that one before!!!
helen & jarvis x