Author Topic: Lungworm  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
Lungworm
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
As there is another discussion re Lungworm in another thread I thought I would start this one up as a general discussion re Lungworm prevention and what peoples vets recommend..I hope this is ok mods?? I f not please let me know...thanks x

I see many of our puppies (mine included) love playing and eating snails!!  >:( I live in Kent and my vet says lungworm is on the rise in my area.

The advice given is to treat monthly with Advocate and give Droncit wormer once every 6 months. I know advocate doesnt treat against ticks so know this is something to be aware of. As far as I know Advocate is the only preventative out there for lungworm although Milbemax is thought to sort of prevent it (not sure if I am right on this!)...

I think there is much advice out there and much of it is conflicting esp to new puppy or dog owners...

I know some dont like to think of putting chemicals on their dogs unless absolutely necessary But I would rather do that than possibly lose my woof with Lungworm...

What do you all think??
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline archiedog

Re: Lungworm
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
I am in Kent too Goggins!

On the Milbemax website it says 'helps reduce the risk of lungworm'.

It is so difficult to  clear the garden of every slug and snail!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
I'm in Hampshire and its present here as well.  I've got Maggie on Advocate, much as I hate to but don't want to run the risk.  Advocate is, I think, the only licensed product to prevent lungworm, thats not to say others won't.... which is where I think the confusion/grey area's arise.  I spoke to a vet unofficially who is based in essex and she told me she uses Milbemax for her dogs, but she can't tell me thats what I should do as its not licensed to prevent it.... read what you will in to that.

As you say, it doesnt cover ticks, so I would have to use something else for that. I've decided not to treat her for that and am using Billy No Mates, a herbal preventative measure - I've picked a number off so far, but only one had attached so I'm pretty happy so far. 
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »
Hi

I made a comment about Millbemax and Advocate earlier today in another post, so this post is useful.  To be honest, I really don't know what to do for the best.  My 15 week old puppy has eaten about 4 snails since we had him.  Looking on the Millbemax website, they say their worm tablets DON'T prevent lungworm - a spot on application is necessary.  When I discussed this with my vet, he said Millbemax wormer tablets help to break the cycle of lungworm.  I tried to "argue" what the website had said with him but he was insistent.  So, the manufacturers and the vet give conflicting information.  Reading today that many owners give Advocate as a preventative I can only think now that I need to be doing this and not rely on the Millbemax tablets.  I'm so worried now that the Millbemax tablets might not be protecting him. 

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
I recently spoke to my vet when the girls had KC. When I asked him about prevention he told me that the only licenced product is Advocate. Panacur is used as a wormer if lungworm is present but apparently its required in high doses so isn't used as a preventative measure. He also said that there was no definitive test for lungworm although a fecal sample may show them present, and they can also do blood tests, but again they may not show up. The slugs and snails have to be ingested. Milbemax covers heartworm, not present in UK, which I think is confused with lungworm which lives in the heart  :huh:

I found this website which talks about Advocate but confusingly gives a link to milbemax. http://www.barrieranimalcareclinic.co.uk/lungworm.htm

I'm really not keen on Advocate and I don't routinely treat for fleas, only when they get them. They are both wormed with Milbemax 1/4ly. I have some Advocate as Ebony had a baby slug caught in her feathers and I can't be sure that she didn't try to bite it off. Advocate as I understand it doesn't cover worms such as Tape worms, so a wormer for them is needed.

The whole thing seems to be confusing to say the least. I just don't want to overdose them on all the chemicals, ie Advocate, Milbemax and frontline, just to prevent. Also in time does it mean that the worms, fleas, ticks etc will become immune? I suppose you just have to do a risk assessment for lungworm and whether or not your dog eats slugs/snails or other dogs poo.

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
I recently spoke to my vet when the girls had KC. When I asked him about prevention he told me that the only licenced product is Advocate. Panacur is used as a wormer if lungworm is present but apparently its required in high doses so isn't used as a preventative measure. He also said that there was no definitive test for lungworm although a fecal sample may show them present, and they can also do blood tests, but again they may not show up. The slugs and snails have to be ingested. Milbemax covers heartworm, not present in UK, which I think is confused with lungworm which lives in the heart  :huh:

I found this website which talks about Advocate but confusingly gives a link to milbemax. http://www.barrieranimalcareclinic.co.uk/lungworm.htm

I'm really not keen on Advocate and I don't routinely treat for fleas, only when they get them. They are both wormed with Milbemax 1/4ly. I have some Advocate as Ebony had a baby slug caught in her feathers and I can't be sure that she didn't try to bite it off. Advocate as I understand it doesn't cover worms such as Tape worms, so a wormer for them is needed.

The whole thing seems to be confusing to say the least. I just don't want to overdose them on all the chemicals, ie Advocate, Milbemax and frontline, just to prevent. Also in time does it mean that the worms, fleas, ticks etc will become immune? I suppose you just have to do a risk assessment for lungworm and whether or not your dog eats slugs/snails or other dogs poo.

We're down in Dorset & Purdey was diagnosed with Lungworm a few years ago. She'd had it for approximately 8 months (dismissed by vets twice due to her symptoms not being typical of the condition) - we nearly lost her to double pneumonia before they found the cause. There are 3 ways for a vet to check for lungworm infestation - 1. treat & see if dog improves 2. stool sample testing & 3. Lungwashes (the test that does give a definitive result  ;) ) which Purdey had & showed up 2 different strains of the worms  :'(  She was treated with 1 month of Panacur (at quite a high dose)  with 1 week break then a further week to kill any unhatched larvae not killed the 1st time round.
The reason it also 'known' or sometimes called heartworm is because of the damage it does to the heart - with the lungs massively enlarged & infested, this puts pressure on the heart, which in Purdeys case has left some damage to the right side & in turn causes slightly higher blood pressure in the heart.
Also, I must add that the dogs don't have to ingest the slugs/snails to contract the illness - there slippery trail does the damage too. Anywhere the slug has been could be infected, including rainwater puddles, toys/dishes left in the garden & also infected dogs & foxes feces. Our vets recently had a case referred of a dog that was having seizures - a MRI scan showed the lungworm had migrated to it's brain  :'(  (unheard by our vet before)
The treatment itself can be as dangerous as the condition in some cases - for severe infestations there is a possibility of the dog dying within 48 of being treated.
I now use Advocate but not every month - more when I think they need it. Ticks really don't worry me & I use the O-Tom if we come across one but TBH, fleas & ticks don't seem to be a problem for my girls.
There is a national study being done on Lungworm, so hopefully in the not too distant future, we will all have the same information as to how best to prevent/cure this condition.
A few months back, Tinker slowly became 'not her usual self' - vets diagnose possible pneumonia or lungworm - she was treated for both & is much better. In Tinkers case, rather than more invasive tests - dual treatment seemed to do the trick but unfortunately we'll never know what it actually was  :dunno:
Our vets also insist on all dogs going in for surgery, to be treated with Advocate just in case the dog were to have undiagnosed Lungworm - blood not clotting is another symptom but sometimes too late when on the operating table.  :'(

hope that helps a little
Lindsey x  :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 09:03:49 PM »
 ;) Thank you very much LindseyP for your very informative post  :bigarmhug:

Im sorry to read poor Purdey had it and it took ages for correct diagnosis...sorry to hear she is still affected by the damage caused too...must have been a very frightening experience for you...and poor Tinker too-glad the treatment worked. It will be interesting to read the survey results...is there somewhere it will be published or would you be able to point us in the direction of, please??

Interesting re the advocate and spaying too...Im so glad all my woofs are on advocate, its expensive esp with bigger dogs but well worth the cost in my view...

Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
;) Thank you very much LindseyP for your very informative post  :bigarmhug:

Im sorry to read poor Purdey had it and it took ages for correct diagnosis...sorry to hear she is still affected by the damage caused too...must have been a very frightening experience for you...and poor Tinker too-glad the treatment worked. It will be interesting to read the survey results...is there somewhere it will be published or would you be able to point us in the direction of, please??
Interesting re the advocate and spaying too...Im so glad all my woofs are on advocate, its expensive esp with bigger dogs but well worth the cost in my view...

I'll ask my vet on next appointment - vets have been asked for info on the more unusual cases & he asked for permission to forward Purdeys notes  ;)  Not sure when it will be complete but no harm in asking eh?  ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
Since a friend's dog died three weeks ago from lungworm here, I am paranoid and will now apply Advocate religiously every month. I hate putting insecticide on my dogs so frequently, but I'd hate it even more if I lost them to a preventable parasite.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk