Author Topic: Why is my cocker so lethargic?  (Read 636 times)

Offline missmolly

• Site Member
Why is my cocker so lethargic?
« on: July 31, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »
Hi all. Our cocker, Molly, is 4 years old. We have another dog, Macy, a mini schnauzer.
We have always given them alot of exersise. But...for about six months or so, Molly has been lagging behind.
We have to wait for her to catch up. We call her lots of old and lazy names! My last cocker was full of energy up until she died! (15) Atfirst I thought she was sluggish after her seasons, eventually going back to normal.
We have raised the subject with our vet. He ran some blood tests. I thought she might have a thyroid problem. All was well though.
When My husband comes in the room to get them for the 'early morning' walk, she actually tries hiding behind my arm, so she doesn't have to go!!
Is she just lazy?!
She does have a very healthy appetite though!
Any thoughts?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Why is my cocker so lethargic?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
Something is obviously not right, I would either find a different vet, or have yours re-run the blood work. As far as the thyroid testing, many vets just run a T4 or a T3/T4, but they need to run a full panel to get an accurate result, the T/3, T/4 will often give a false "normal" or vets will say it is normal even if it is on the lowest end of the scale, which can still produce problems  :-\

A full thyroid panel should consist of:
T/3 and T/4
Free T/3 and free T/4
TGAA (thyroid antibody)

I would want to re run the other bloodwork, there may be something brewing that did not show on the first run.

How is her weight? What is she fed? Any stiffness or soreness?
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
I have a cocker who is similar. Penny is now almost 9 yrs and she's always been a sleepy head, she enjoys her walks but generally does them at my pace and very rarely does she have a run. But she is most definitely my dog and she will hide behind me come weekends when OH takes them all for a walk at daft o'clock and at gazelle speed. She's even taken to barking at him when he says "Penny, where's you lead?". The only difference is Penny has not had a change in pace / behaviour etc she's always preferred me and always ambled along.

I did have one dog years ago that got to the grand age of 1 and decided walking wasn't really her thing and wouldn't even get off the sofa for me when I asked her did she want a walk (used to get all excited and look like she was going to go, but then she would just take her lead off you curl back up on the sofa and look the other way until you gave up and went out with our other dog).

I do agree with spanielcrazy though that if you have noticed a change in her behaviour then something would appear to be amiss.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
Hi all. Our cocker, Molly, is 4 years old. We have another dog, Macy, a mini schnauzer.
We have always given them alot of exersise. But...for about six months or so, Molly has been lagging behind.
We have to wait for her to catch up. We call her lots of old and lazy names! My last cocker was full of energy up until she died! (15) Atfirst I thought she was sluggish after her seasons, eventually going back to normal.
We have raised the subject with our vet. He ran some blood tests. I thought she might have a thyroid problem. All was well though.
When My husband comes in the room to get them for the 'early morning' walk, she actually tries hiding behind my arm, so she doesn't have to go!!
Is she just lazy?!
She does have a very healthy appetite though!
Any thoughts?

Good advice from spanielcrazy & Bluegirl but your description of Molly sounds very much like my Purdey was before being diagnosed with Lungworm  :'(  Her symptoms were dismissed for over 8 months because they weren't typical of the condition - we nearly lost her to pneumonia before it was discovered. She was still herself in every other way but she got more lethargic as the months went on + her breathing got deeper & more laboured - has Molly's breathing changed at all? Purdey was 5 when it was diagnosed & she was like a little old lady on walks  :'(
If you need any other info please don't hesitate to PM me - not sure where you are miss molly but don't be fobbed off by vets who say it's not in your area............it wasn't in ours once  ;)
please keep us updated & let us know how she gets on
Lindsey x
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline missmolly

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »
Thanks for the replys.
Somedays she's worse then others. She actually got a little canter on today!
She doesn't do so well when it's warm, but then...neither do I!
She doesn't seem to have any breathing problems. Or aches and pains.
It's hard to really know whether anything is wrong, or whether she just isn't that enthusiastic about walkies!
Her and Macy used to charge arround together playing. I always say she's got old before her time.
Her weight is sort of under control. By that I mean, we try and keep her away from all the other animals food, (armed guards!) but occasionally, she tucks in! Even when our old cat throws up. We have to be very quick.If you know what I mean!

I think I will go back to the vets and ask for a print out of the test results.
And maybe run some more.
As I write, she's on her back on the sofa. Away with the faries!

While I'm here, my little schnauzer Macy, seemed to have a few second fit the other day. She sort of went all stiff and staggered. Really alarming. The person I'd met on the walk said it looked like epilepsy. My husband says he had seen her do it once as well. It's all over very quickly. She's 7. Any thoughts?

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
My Lucy is just sooooo lazy but her daughter Poppy will play and walk all day. Today Lucy and Poppy were out for a walk and after about twenty mins Lucy just walked backed to car. As it's cool up here today I put her in car and continued walk with Poppy. On return Lucy was fast asleep.

I hope Molly is found to be just a home lover and  a vv lazy girl.  :lol2:

PS As I write this Lucy is fast asleep up in my bedroom but I just know as soon as I open the wrapper of my biscuit she will be at my feet.  >:(

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »
Something is obviously not right, I would either find a different vet, or have yours re-run the blood work. As far as the thyroid testing, many vets just run a T4 or a T3/T4, but they need to run a full panel to get an accurate result, the T/3, T/4 will often give a false "normal" or vets will say it is normal even if it is on the lowest end of the scale, which can still produce problems  :-\

A full thyroid panel should consist of:
T/3 and T/4
Free T/3 and free T/4
TGAA (thyroid antibody)

I would want to re run the other bloodwork, there may be something brewing that did not show on the first run.

How is her weight? What is she fed? Any stiffness or soreness?
Exactely that re thyroid! Saves me writing it all!

Also the soreness is important. My lurcher started to lag when his cruciate was hurting and it turned out he had two partially torn cruciates. It could also be something like back problems, hips etc.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk