Author Topic: Cyst removed - colour change coat!!  (Read 842 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Cyst removed - colour change coat!!
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »
Hi everyone, not been on here for a long time.....

My girl Rio has recently had a cyst removed from the top of her front leg - about 6 weeks ago now, it was on the inside of her leg, sort of going on to her chest.  It started as a small spot and grew to the size of a grape within 2 weeks, anti biotics did nothing so it had to come off.

My Vet sent it to the lab and all was ok, it was benign and just a cyst.  However, something very strange has happened - where they have shaved her for the op the hair is growing back tan!! Rio is quite a dark blue roan and although I know there is blue roan and tan in her genes, she has no tan anywhere else.....has anyone ever had this happen?

Rio is fine and over her op, back to her normal crazy self...and looks a bit bizarre with this tan patch on her leg and chest...but there again it matches her mad personality I guess  :005:

All advice greatly appreciated....! Julie, Rio and Blue  ;)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Cyst removed - colour change coat!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:33:57 AM »
I think we need pics please ;) I haven't had this or heard of it would be interested to hear why this would happen?
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »
Hi thanks for the interest!! took me a while to remember how to upload photos  :005:

Here she is then...in all her splendour with the tan patch on her front - you can still see the scar on the close up photo. 

What's your verdict? I have never heard of this happening either....trust Rio to be different, bless her  ;)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
It could be saliva staining, from where she has been licking her wound.  ;)
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
looks like staining to me too

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »
It could be saliva staining, from where she has been licking her wound.  ;)

aaaahhh right saliva staining....that could be it!! although she had an elizabethan collar on until the stitches were out but she does have a lick at it now I must admit.  She's due for a bath and trim in the next few days, so I see if it comes off and let you know  ;)  Thanks girls!!

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
You're welcome
X

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »
I would say the same  :D
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
UPDATE... Cyst removed - colour change coat!!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
Hello everyone.....well Rio's had the dreaded bath, been shampooed and conditioned...I gave the 'tan' area an extra wash but its still there, exactly the same as it was.  So if this is saliva staining wouldn't it have come off?   :-\

Anyone who's had this happen please let me know? thanks girls..... ;)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »
My Ruby (blue roan) had similar stains around her mouth, I thought it was colour out of her food  or soil (clay) ; I've since changed her food and had the garden decked and gravelled - so we didn't work out which was causing the staining.

There's special shampoo for tear stains on white dogs in PAH - it might be worth shampooing the area with that?  :huh:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
My Ruby (blue roan) had similar stains around her mouth, I thought it was colour out of her food  or soil (clay) ; I've since changed her food and had the garden decked and gravelled - so we didn't work out which was causing the staining.

Did the staining come off eventually I wonder?  As I previously said I know Rio has tan in her genes, but this is a bit weird  :005: maybe I should shave the otherside so they match  :lol2: 

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
I've found saliva staining doesn't come off with a bath unfortunately. Haven't found anything that removes it.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline wendyt

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »
Murphy my black 2 year old WCS managed to get his muzzle jammed between the bars of the baby gate last year, trying to get a venison ear that he'd dropped over the top. He developed a swelling which the vet said was due to the trauma and eventually after a few days it went down. I noticed a few weeks later a small tuft of hair sticking up which came out when I touched it, he had a tiny baldy spot for a couple of weeks then his hair grew back in pure white. Looks like he's got a white freckle on his black face :blink:

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
So it looks like it will have to grow out then....never mind I quite like it!!  :005: