Author Topic: normal then soft p#o  (Read 754 times)

Offline Yomper

normal then soft p#o
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
Hi
We have fed oscar arden grange diet for the last 6 weeks and his po# seems mostly normal except if he does 2 or of them the second or 3rd one always seems to be soft sometimes runny.
for the last few weeks we have gave him a mixture of arden grange and naturesdiet as he was becoming a little fussy on his food and je still seems to have normal then soft po#
is this normal or is there anything else we can do.
Got to say before changing to arden grange he had the runs more often than not so at least most of his is now normal

Offline maddy74

Re: normal then soft p#o
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »
We had a problem with Willow identical to this and although I think cockers and other spaniels can have 'adrenalin poops' Willows were often hard to start with going softer towards the end. Also if she went say three times the third time would be really sloppy. She had quite bad wind too and in August this got worse and she passed blood and mucus. The vet said they thought it could be colitus and put her on a sensitive RC kibble, she has the odd blip but no more probs in that department now. Not saying its deffo this with your dog but it could be, maybe you need to find another food until you get one that suits.... I would seek advice from your vet if I were you.

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »
I've noticed with Clover that her 'at home in the garden' ones are usually very well formed and a good 'normal' colour, but out on walks they are generally softer, (sometimes mousse-like in texture!) and a most interesting range of colours!  Not sure if this is down to excitement (as aforementioned, maddy74s 'adrenalin poops'!) or to do with the multitude of training treats she gets! I think so long as Oscar seems well in himself and is gaining weight and eating well, it is probably nothing too much to worry about. Obviously any sign of blood or mucus needs investigating further though.
To know them is to love them.....

Offline Yomper

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:41 AM »
thanks for the replies. oscar is fine and putting on weight and acting normal if there is such a thing for spaniels!
I will ask the vet when we next see him which is soon as his claws need cutting. yes i will do them myself but thought i would let the vet do them for the first few times :)
happy walking :)

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
I have exactly the same issue with Nacho. Poop 1 is the biggy with 2 and poss 3 being all different shapes sizes & textures. Nothing to worry about in my book!!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
Toby exactly the same too.  First one is nice and firm, then maybe only 2 hours later, on a walk, he will go and it is softer and lighter.  Must be normal for cockers.  I think the exercise and movement gets the bowels working sooner.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sherlock

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Sherlock's stools also follow this pattern - reassuring to hear it's so common!

I did take him to the vet as I was worried, and the vet gave him a strong wormer which made him worse for a few days, and now he's back to how he was before, so it didn't do a lot of good. I am trying around with different foods to see if there's one that suits him better. So far Chappie wet has been the best, but I don't think it's a particularly good food in terms of ingredients so I'm still looking. Arden Grange kibble made it worse, both the normal and the sensitive range. I then tried a duck and potato kibble, I think it was called Milburns, which also didn't help.  Maybe it is just a lively cocker spaniel thing?

Offline jen1876

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
Jasper is the same...glad I read this as i feel happier now too! His first and second of the day are usually ok but then his afternoon visit usually involoves a couple of poos, first one fairly normal then the second helping always a lot looser...he's done this ever since we got him 3 weeks ago, just seems to be his particular way!