Author Topic: Eye/hip Testing  (Read 1857 times)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Eye/hip Testing
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:13:52 AM »
I'm currently looking for a puppy and although I'm finding out if the parents have been eye and/or hip tested, I've only really been paying attention to the 'yes' or 'no'.

Just been thinking about that and realised that just because they've been checked doesn't necessarily mean they are good :rolleyes:

I've seen some 'scores' but what should I be looking for? What is a good 'score'?

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:18:22 AM »
I think the breed average for hips is 15 :unsure:

Its definitely worth checking the parents hip score results because I know from experience that hip dysplasia can be horrible. My Scully has it :( I think Louise's Piper does too if I remember right? :unsure: )
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:24:03 AM »
Well this is one example of info I've been given

Hip score 3:3
Current clear KC/BVA eye certificate

Is that good?

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 11:28:40 AM »
Found some info if anyone else is interested, I love the internet!

The BVA/TKC publish a list of Breed Mean Scores (BMS) for each breed, together with the number of dogs tested to date and the range of scores achieved. It is then recommended that breeders ensure their breeding stock have scores which are well below the BMS.

From an x-ray taken at the owner's vets, the BVA scores each of the hip joints. Each hip can receive a maximum score of 53 and overall score of 106. The lower the score the better, so 0/0 would be perfect, while 53/53 would mean that the dog had no hips at all!

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 11:53:06 AM »
Well this is one example of info I've been given

Hip score 3:3
Current clear KC/BVA eye certificate

Is that good?
[snapback]107344[/snapback]

Hi Jilly,

Liz is correct, Piper does indeed have Hip Dysplasia in both hips  :(   Also, T's Charlie Spud does too - so when it's my turn to get another puppy I would definitely be looking for a breeder that hip scores his/her Cockers.  At the moment the recommended health checks for Cocker Spaniel breeding stock is that they have current clear eye certificates and although hip scoring is not currently recommended I know that there are a lot of breeders who do hip score.  Obviously you have been busy researching 'hip scores' and the information you posted is correct.  So the hip score above would be excellent and off the top of my head I think the breed average for Cockers is 15 as Liz already said.

That said, HD is not solely hereditary, it can also be caused by environmental factors, such as the puppy/dog being overweight or a puppy being  over exercised.  HD could also be caused by a knock or jumping down from a sofa for example.  The reason I say this is that although both parents may have excellent hip scores, it is not unheard of for their puppies to go on and develop HD.

Still, because of what we have been through with Piper, I would feel happier in the knowledge that both parents of my puppy have good hip scores which hopefully in turn would limit the chances of the puppy going on to develop HD.

I hope that this makes sense - it's written in laymans terms I'm afraid - perhaps someone with far more experience than me will be along soon to explain it better  :)

Hope this helps Jilly.

Louise x
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 12:31:36 PM »
Hi Jilly,

Liz is correct, Piper does indeed have Hip Dysplasia in both hips  :(   Also, T's Charlie Spud does too - so when it's my turn to get another puppy I would definitely be looking for a breeder that hip scores his/her Cockers.  At the moment the recommended health checks for Cocker Spaniel breeding stock is that they have current clear eye certificates and although hip scoring is not currently recommended I know that there are a lot of breeders who do hip score.  Obviously you have been busy researching 'hip scores' and the information you posted is correct.  So the hip score above would be excellent and off the top of my head I think the breed average for Cockers is 15 as Liz already said.

That said, HD is not solely hereditary, it can also be caused by environmental factors, such as the puppy/dog being overweight or a puppy being  over exercised.  HD could also be caused by a knock or jumping down from a sofa for example.  The reason I say this is that although both parents may have excellent hip scores, it is not unheard of for their puppies to go on and develop HD.

Still, because of what we have been through with Piper, I would feel happier in the knowledge that both parents of my puppy have good hip scores which hopefully in turn would limit the chances of the puppy going on to develop HD.

I hope that this makes sense - it's written in laymans terms I'm afraid - perhaps someone with far more experience than me will be along soon to explain it better  :)

Hope this helps Jilly.

Louise x
[snapback]107357[/snapback]

That makes perfect sense Louise, thanks.

And sorry to hear of your experience, I know my brother-in-laws labrador has problems with her hips and it's not nice at all.

I have noticed that most breeders don't hip score although most do eye test. This is something I'll certainly bear in mind as it's obviously very important.

I understand that having parents with hip scores is no guarantee but I guess it's always best to start on the right foot (so to speak).

I've read a lot about puppies not climing stairs/being over-exercised etc so that's something we'll also keep a close eye on.

Thanks for your help.

Jilly x  :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 01:18:18 PM »
Just to add to Louise's excellent explanation on HD, the breed average for Cockers has now come down to 14 according to the latest BVA data. Also from what I've read, an even score is preferable to one where there is quite a disparity between the left & right scores. As Louise says, a 3/3 score would be an excellent result.

Incidentally, don't be afraid of asking to see certificates - good breeders will not mind you asking & will be happy to show you them. Just saying this as it is not unknown for a breeder to say "oh yes my dog is eye tested" & later you find out the test was 5 years ago & he hasn't been tested since :rolleyes:  Eye test certificates should be current ie dogs should have been tested within the last 12 months.

Jane
Jane

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
53/53 would mean that the dog had no hips at all!

Well Scully's were tested at 18 months of age and were .....

40/47

:(  :(  :(

Edited to add Oscar's Mum was 3/4 and his Dad was 0/0 :D Lets hope he has better luck than Scully did.

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »
53/53 would mean that the dog had no hips at all!

Well Scully's were tested at 18 months of age and were .....

40/47

:(  :(  :(

Edited to add Oscar's Mum was 3/4 and his Dad was 0/0 :D Lets hope he has better luck than Scully did.
[snapback]107407[/snapback]

See, we learn from our mistakes don't we Liz - I'm sure Oscar's hips will be fine ;)
Edited to add..... We know Oscar's jaws are okay  :lol:  :lol:

And how lucky are we to have got Scully and Piper eh?
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Eye/hip Testing
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 10:09:12 AM »
See, we learn from our mistakes don't we Liz - I'm sure Oscar's hips will be fine 
Edited to add..... We know Oscar's jaws are okay   

And how lucky are we to have got Scully and Piper eh?

You said it Louise :D ! How lucky we are that although they have more than their fair share of health problems we have still been fortunate enough to end up with 2 beautiful and wonderful dogs :wub:

And yes, there is definitely no problem with Oscar's jaws although I may be heading for a nervous breakdown!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :rolleyes: