Author Topic: Advice re Freya please..  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
Advice re Freya please..
« on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
 :'( please can you all give me your opinions regarding my Freya...

Freya is now just over a year old and has been 100% healthy up until the last 7-10 days. She started having mild conjunctivitis on and off for a couple of days and then she had a mild cough-2 days of manuka honey and she was right as rain. A week later she didnt eat her breakfast (unheard of!!) and became really clingy and whingey day and night. It was really sad to watch her be like this but she was always able to eat a bonio treat. No vomiting or diarrhoea. So off to the vets we went...

vet could find nothing physically wrong with her and suggested she might have acid reflux "something common in small dogs" and she went onto zantac and anteepsin to settle her tummy and reduce the acid. She was loads better the next morning. That night she vomitted up a couple of small bits of very hard rubber (beige in colour)-cant find any of her toys like this or anything thats been chomped on, so maybe something out on her walk. She was no longer clingy or whinging but still not "right".

Took her back to the vets yesterday and he thinks maybe she now has a gastitis and has given her some antibiotics. She ate both meals (reluctantly) yesterday and half of this ams breakfast. She is bright and drinking but not 100% but nothing I can say "thats wrong with her"...Its so sad to see her like this...

The vet said If she still isnt eating or bright to take her back tomorrow for an endoscopy...I really dont know what to do as she isnt really ill but not 100%...I guess (if youve managed to read this far) is what would you all do?? (she is insured so money doesnt come in to it)...I dont want to put her through something unecessarily....Help...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Advice re Freya please..
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
Awww, sorry Freya is feeling a bit "off".  The only advice I can give is that if it were me, I would go with my gut instinct and get the problem investigated further.  You're quite clearly picking up on something not being right.  Although you don't want to put her through anything unecessarily, it could save a lot more problems later on if you face it head on now.  I hope she feels better soon.  Keep us posted how she is  :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
I would follow the vets advice, she may well have something in her tummy that's causing her problems. Rather than just guessing an endoscopy would give an answer. Hope everything goes well.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
I'd be inclined to think that the vomited rubber bits are the cause and he's just been treating the symptoms so far.

I'd be wondering if its a partial blockage and I'd be asking if rubber would show up on an x-ray as the x-ray would should up her whole digestive system whereas the endoscope would only highlight up to her stomach and you may end up being non the wiser. They may not even need to sedate for the x-ray (didn't when Phoebe had one once). If sedation is required they could even sedate for x-ray then proceed to endoscope.

When I had gastritis I felt uncomfortable in my stomach area and there were stomach noises / pains but the main symptom I had was excessive belching and once on the treatment I felt a whole lot better within about 48 hrs.

Hope they are able to help her. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
you know your dogs, and if one seems 'off' then you can just tell! :luv:
I too would be worried about the rubber bits, especially if you cant tell what it is from? ph34r
agree with Bluegirl, would a scan/ultrasound of the tummy area show rubber if there was a blockage, they would need to sedate to do an endoscopy anyway, so do it all in one go! ;)
all the best, keep an eye on little Freya, and lots of hugs.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
Sending little Freya gentle hugs  :bigarmhug:  Hope the vet manages to find the cause of her discomfort.  Take care.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
I'd be inclined to think that the vomited rubber bits are the cause and he's just been treating the symptoms so far.

I'd be wondering if its a partial blockage and I'd be asking if rubber would should up on an x-ray as the x-ray would should up her whole digestive system whereas the endoscope would only highlight up to her stomach and you may end up being non the wiser. They may not even need to sedate for the x-ray (didn't when Phoebe had one once). If sedation is required they could even sedate for x-ray then proceed to endoscope.

When I had gastritis I felt uncomfortable in my stomach area and there were stomach noises / pains but the main symptom I had was excessive belching and once on the treatment I felt a whole lot better within about 48 hrs.

Ditto.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »

I'd be wondering if its a partial blockage and I'd be asking if rubber would should up on an x-ray as the x-ray would should up her whole digestive system whereas the endoscope would only highlight up to her stomach and you may end up being non the wiser. They may not even need to sedate for the x-ray (didn't when Phoebe had one once). If sedation is required they could even sedate for x-ray then proceed to endoscope.

Ditto.

double ditto .. I hope little Freya is more comfy soon .. big hugs xx

One vet said Millie had reflux because she wasn't 'right' either but ate normally was happy enough, but every now and then she'd vomit up bile - we end up seeing a vet who wasn't our 'normal GP' vet :D ).  However, after months of this and me basically saying, this is ridiculous she doesn't have reflux, she isn't right! She was endoscoped and it turns out she had a piece of bark in her stomach, and every now and then after she'd been settled for a few hours it would cause a 'back up' of bile, and then she'd vomit it up.... lovely  :020:

Hope she's sorted soon :) x
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
Sending positive thoughts for little Freya.   I would follow your instinct and take her to the Vets.

Gwyneth
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »

Ditto.

Triple ditto. I'd be having the vet x-ray for blockage  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Catie74

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
x-ray would be what I would want too.  Good luck

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
X-ray here too, you know she is not herself, trust your instinct, you know your dog better than any one else.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
 ;) Thank You everyone for your kind thoughts...

The vet couldnt feel any blockages and said that as she had been passing faeces (and still is) he doubts this is the case...

Typically, she has eaten her dinner tonight (took forever-one piece at a time) and she has been playing with her toys allbeit half heartedly...however she has gone all whingy again...just wish these little guys could talk  :-\
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »

I'd be going back to the vets.  Sounds like it could be a partial blockage even if they can't feel it.  The foreign objects could have done anything inside her and she clearly isnt happy so something is wrong.  Trust her and what she is telling you

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
Sending little Freya gentle hugs  :bigarmhug:  Hope the vet manages to find the cause of her discomfort.  Take care.

The same from all of us love Dianne phoebe and mia x x x   :luv: :luv:

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x