Author Topic: Which cough medicine?  (Read 635 times)

Offline maddy74

Which cough medicine?
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
Willow has kennel cough and the manuka honey doesnt seems to be stopping her cough at night, the last two nights she has kept herself awake and me too....  :huh:

We could both do with getting some sleep tonight (OH sleeps through the noise) so I am going to pop out for some cough mixture I know this isnt the healthy option but I just want to try it at night and will continue with the honey in the day.

So the question is which is the best medicine to get, the vet said Benalyn...and to give a childs dose. There is s childs one but its sugar free and they also do a non drowsey, I cant give non drowsy or sugar free to a dog can I?

Any advice appreciated....  ;)

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Re: Which cough medicine?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
When Erin had KC we were advised to use Tixylix but there is no reason why you cannot use Benalyn...and the sugar free/non drowsy would be the one of choice.
Hope she starts to feel better soon

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
Thanks LinziS I thought I have read somewhere a dog couldnt have sugar free or non drowsy, maybe I didnt!? What dose do you give, im going to pop up Sainsburys shortly.

Offline jessandme

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:22:20 PM »
I think what you are remembering regarding non-drowsy is when we were talking about antihistamines - someone was saying that the non-drowsy 'version' of Piriton was what was needed, which it most definitely is not, the one to use for dogs is the oldfashioned Piriton that makes you sleepy as a side effect. 

Nothing to do with non-drowsy cough meds though!

And regarding sugar free - some sugar free chewing gum and sweets have xylitol as sweetener, this is toxic to dogs.  But have not heard of it being used in sugarfree meds.

Hope Willow feels better soon!

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »
I just gave her a childs dose...think it 5ml 3 times daily...i used a small syringe to administer it.
She was so funny on it...we used to say 'you want tixylix' and she would go sit at the fridge waiting...think she must have liked the taste :005:..she only does that with chicken now  :005:

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline maddy74

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »
Thanks jessandme that was exactly the information given before but I kinda got mixed up  :005: :005:

:005:LinziS, Willow runs to the kitchen when we say chicken too and runs to the fridge if I tell her I am going to work as thats where her kong is stored once filled :005: These doggies are funny arnt they?  :005: and what ever we say to Willow that is followed by, "Do you want to...." is always given the tilted cute head look by Willow as its usually followed by... "go for a walk", "Go in the garden", "Go and see Gramps" or "Go in the car" all the things she loves  :005:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
Well I got some benalyn, and i didnt hear her coughing during the night, not sure whether the benalyn worked or i was that tired i didnt hear her...  :005:

How much longer do you think she will contagious for? Desperate to go back to training classes and hoped to be able to take her out  at the weekend for sure!! She is getting so bored despite the indoor things we are doing  :'(