Author Topic: Not sure whether to be concerned or not  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Not sure whether to be concerned or not
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »
Today, Toby stopped to have a sniff and instead of waiting for him, I carried on walking.  After a few minutes, I turned to look for him and he was still rooted to the same spot, I was about 200 - 220 feet away.  I called him and he looked around.  I was waving my arms and shouting him and he was listening to my voice and running around looking for me.  He looked in my direction a couple of times but it was only when I walked half way back that he spotted me and ran to me.  I'm concerned now as to why he didn't see me from that distance.  Any thoughts anyone? thanks.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Not sure whether to be concerned or not
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »
I know sometimes Millie and Charlie just get a bit confused and then once they have started panicking don't seem to be able to spot me, in fact Millie did it a couple of days ago. I don't think there's anything wrong with her eyes as she can still spot a cat a mile away  :005: :005:

But if you're worried then get the  vet to check him over  :blink:

Millie

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
My lot do the same, it's as if they can't see you and panic a bit trying to locate you.

I wonder if they can only see so far into the distance.
Interesting to find out if others are the same.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
Coco sometimes seems just not to be able to see me and will run off in completely the wrong direction even if I call her - she eventually works out where I am and comes running.   :D

If that is the only incident, I don't think I would be unduly worried  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »
It would be simple enough to get his eyes checked over....for your own peace of mind.  I cannot say as this has ever happened to me.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
Millie suffers with this, and always has; every now and then it was like she'd forgotten what you looked like, or just couldn't see you - we never worried about it; until she started losing sight in half light, and reacted badly to being approached in half light / dark. However she was subsequently diagnosed with PRA about 6 years ago, so now we feel that her sight has never been 100% hence these little 'blips'.

Never had it was Jennie, nor Hazel (so far!)

As it's only happened once perhaps it's just a one off and Toby was genuinely just a bit confused.  But the next time you go to the vets it's probably worth a check over, I possibly wouldn't be rushing there myself though, unless it was consistently happening, or his eyes looked sore / weepy etc.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
He wasnt a bit dis-orientated (spelt wrong) by all the heat was he?

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Coco sometimes seems just not to be able to see me and will run off in completely the wrong direction even if I call her - she eventually works out where I am and comes running.   :D

If that is the only incident, I don't think I would be unduly worried  ;)
My lot do the same, it's as if they can't see you and panic a bit trying to locate you.

I wonder if they can only see so far into the distance.
Interesting to find out if others are the same.

I know sometimes Millie and Charlie just get a bit confused and then once they have started panicking don't seem to be able to spot me, in fact Millie did it a couple of days ago. I don't think there's anything wrong with her eyes as she can still spot a cat a mile away  :005: :005:

But if you're worried then get the  vet to check him over  :blink:

All of these posts could be Ruby.If i walk quite a bit ahead and she is engrossed in either sniffing or playing about with her ball she will look up suddenly as if she has just realised i'm not there and it's like she can't see me,then she panicks,head turning left and right so quickly her ears flap about her face then she just blindly runs in any old direction which is when i blow the whistle long and hard then she runs back to me  :P we are both a bit of a dither by then as to watch her bolt away from me in scary.
I wouldn't worry Mel,but if it happens again and you feel something isn't quite right a trip to the vet is in order  :blink:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Another thing is when I throw the ball for Toby, he never "follows" it with his eyes while it's in the air.  He just runs then charges towards it once it's landed.  He's due for his first booster next month so will definately mention it to the vet, as I am a bit concerned.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: