Author Topic: What food is low protein suitable for senior dogs?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
What food is low protein suitable for senior dogs?
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
Pennys  mum re. Senior low protein food I dont wether I shouldd have put this in feeding but Pennys mum has been realyy poorly with infection and blood in her urin The antibotics has cleared it but vet recommended the above she is worried  Jeans poor Duddley has just gone over the Rainbow bridge and his was unoperable stone and prosrate trouble Hope you can help
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: What food is low protein suitable for senior dogs?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Is there a kidney problem Joan?

Can you contact someone like 'Proplan' to ask about diet?

I wish you luck. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »
Hi Jasper is on a low protein renal diet because of his kidney problems (he has Lupus) we get it from the vet and it is made by Waltham. Hope that helps.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Why are you looking for a low protein diet? Senior dogs don't need low protein automatically, in fact, newer research shows that they need a good amount of good quality protein, not less...
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline fionad

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
We successfully cooked our own low protein food for our old girlie..

We made tiny minced lamb patties mixed with pudding rice and other bits and pieces and Penny really enjoyed it. It sorted out her kidney problem really well and our vet was amazed.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
Why are you looking for a low protein diet? Senior dogs don't need low protein automatically, in fact, newer research shows that they need a good amount of good quality protein, not less...

That's what I noted too when I was considering if I should tweak William's raw diet now that he's 8 and deemed senior. I'm not sure if the OP is saying that there is a diagnosed kidney problem or if the vet has recommended using a low protein food following an infection to help safeguard against future kidney problems.

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »
Thanks for your replies ,Gracie has finishedi her antibotics and has signs of kidney failure and recommended a senior low protein diet Gracieis a  a lot betterth Mark is the same vet who looked after Jenny and he  looked afterher well
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:44 PM »
We successfully cooked our own low protein food for our old girlie..

We made tiny minced lamb patties mixed with pudding rice and other bits and pieces and Penny really enjoyed it. It sorted out her kidney problem really well and our vet was amazed.

Hiya,

Just seen this thread and wondered if the following may be of any help. Its a reply to another thread about kidney failure I posted some time ago about my old dog, Penny (the dog mentionned in Fionad's post above)

When I first learnt of Penny's Kidney Failure I really panicked and thought we wouldn't have long and it couldn't be reversed but the good news is that it was the opposite. Penny's levels came down from high to normal over the course of a year.  :blink: In the end we lost her to cancer (unrelated)  :'( .

The food she was prescribed really didn't agree with her. She didn't like it, and when she did eat it, it made her ill. If you look at the ingredients it really isn't great (derivatives/powders/pulps of this that and the other) and marked up at a really high price  >:D This is the ingredient list of Royal Canin Renal that Penny was prescribed:

Rice, maize flour, animal fats, soya protein isolate, maize gluten,hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, minerals, egg powder, fish oil, Fructo-Oligo-Saccharides (FOS), vegetable fibres, soya oil, Larginine, potassium citrate, taurine, green tea extracts, marigold extract, L-tryptophan.

On first look into a homemade diet, a low protein diet (chicken) was recommended BUT this didn't agree with her either, and after reading appears to be the wrong thing to do.

So, I did LOTS of research and found that a low phosphorous, higher fat, good quality protein was the way to go. On this advice, we gave her a good quality cooked lamb mince and pudding rice. She also had the odd egg white, and ground egg shell. We used to cook little mince patties in the oven, binded together with the egg white and parsley and froze them and made the rice fresh each time. It was good quality food and convenient to!

The parsley infusions (recommended by Bluegirl) also worked well, we simmerd the parsley in water and added honey and she'd drink this or have it on her food.

This website was invaluble: http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidney.html

If you need any help/pointers just let me know. Penny's last blood test before she passed away from the nasty cancer showed her levels right back to normal (after a gradual reduction over that year) so it definately did the trick and she looked forward to her yummy dinners to  :luv: