Author Topic: Kennel Cough Innoculation?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Kennel Cough Innoculation?
« on: April 30, 2005, 12:28:42 AM »
Aflie is going into kennels at the end of May for a week, and when I asked about kc innoculation they said it wasnt compulsary. Now I dont know what to do for the best, should I get it done on the "better safe then sorry" side? If so how long before he goes in do I need to get it done? Are there side effects?

Thanks
Caroline and Alfie

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 07:08:06 AM »
I'd get it done. It isnt a nice innoculation, but kennel cough is worse.
Ours had a sensitive nose for a day or two, and no other obvios side effects.I could be wrong, but I think it only lasts for 6 months too.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 09:55:28 AM »
There is one that lasts 12 months now  :) ; I asked our vet for this and they got it in for Molo last Autumn.

It takes 10 days to take effect though; so you need to plan in advance........

Molo sneezed, and then kissed our vet all over - no ill effects at all
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 10:04:18 AM »
I'd get it done if I were you. Scully has had it before several times and has been absolutely fine. She doesn't even object to having it squirted up her nose - at least not in the way that she objects to needle injections :rolleyes:

Like Rachel said you do need to do it 10 days to a fortnight in advance.

I'm surprised its not compulsory at your kennels - it is at all the ones I know. :unsure:
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Penel

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 11:48:24 AM »
I wouldn't have it done - there are loads and loads of strains of kennel cough, and I think it only covers one or two.  I also know quite a few dogs that have had it done, and still got kennel cough - either from the vaccine or the vaccine didn't cover them.... pretty pointless to give a vaccine for something as benign as kennel cough if you ask me - Alfie is a fit young lad, he'll be fine - even if he did get kc, its not the end of the world, Tilly has had it 3 times - each time she's been fine after a few days.

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »
I'd be concerned at putting my dogs in a kennel that didn't make it compulsory.
Its not called 'kennel cough' for nothing, they must surely realise that its highly contagious for dogs in that environment.
Definitely get done if i was you.
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 09:41:55 PM »
I wouldn't have it done - there are loads and loads of strains of kennel cough, and I think it only covers one or two.  I also know quite a few dogs that have had it done, and still got kennel cough - either from the vaccine or the vaccine didn't cover them.... pretty pointless to give a vaccine for something as benign as kennel cough if you ask me - Alfie is a fit young lad, he'll be fine - even if he did get kc, its not the end of the world, Tilly has had it 3 times - each time she's been fine after a few days.
[snapback]122517[/snapback]

I do agree, there are so many different types of kennel cough and the vaccine may not cover all of them. ;)
But at the end of the day it is your decision.
Try some herbal remedies like GARLIC AND FENUGREEK, which is supposed to help: [size=8]It is used to treat minor infections, such as interdigital cysts, eczema, pyoderma, cystitis, coughs etc and when given regularly increases resistance to these infections by stimulating the immune system. Garlic has long been renowned for its antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-viral properties and this has been confirmed by modern scientific studies, which also show its ability to help with the removal of toxins from the system.[/size]-taken from Dowest herbs website.
Hope this helps. x

Penel

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »
Its highly contagious full stop.
Tilly has never been in kennels and yet she has had it 3 times.
Lola has had it once (not from kennels either) , Barley came with it from the streets of Liverpool.
Interestingly the day before Barley arrived, I started the girls on kennel cough nosode - he had the worst kennel cough I have ever seen - none of them got it, not even 8 month old Hattie.  So there is another option for you Caroline, give Alfie the kennel cough nosode - it definitely worked for my 3 dogs when exposed to it. :)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 10:43:42 PM »
The only problem is that it doesn't protect you from all forms of KC and some have been known to get it even though they're protected, which have just seen that Penel has just written the same thing earlier

Funny thing is every time I go to the vets to get my lot done he tries to talk me out of it and suggests trying a kennel that doesn't need it!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 10:45:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies :)

I know how contagious kc is, my last boy came to us with it :( but my concerns about giving Alfie the vaccine were around the fact that there are so many strains, that even with the vaccine he could still pick it up.

Penny what is kennel cough nosode? And when you say a minor ailment, how minor? I remember Gunnar was on meds for about 10 days and was coughing for about three weeks, but seemed to be lively enough. But then of course he was diagnosed with the heart murmur not too long after and I do wonder if the kc did bring it on.

Sorry for all the questions, I guess its cos Im not happy about putting Alfie in kennels full stop :( Im very happy with the kennels, have been to view, they are spotless, the dogs look happy and the kennel maids seem to really enjoy their jobs and love the dogs. And they were recommended by a couple of people. Ive just never ever had to kennel a dog before. With three weeks to go Im getting myself worked up into a right tizz thinking about all the things that could go wrong, I know he will probably be as safe as houses and as happy as larry, just me being daft.

And to top it all it dawned on me last week he will be having his first birthday in there :(
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 10:58:58 PM »
What Is A Nosode? In homeopathy, there is a special type of remedy called a nosode. A nosode (from nosos, the Greek word meaning disease) is a homeopathic preparation made from matter from a sick animal or person. Substances such as respiratory discharges or diseased tissues are used. It sounds repulsive, but the preparation, using alcohol, as well as the repeated dilution and succussion, essentially renders the substances harmless, while producing a powerful remedy. The use of nosodes in a prophylactic manner, for preventing disease, has been employed in veterinary and human homeopathy for many years. It is supported by various holistic veterinarians and authors.

I do think some vet overprescribe antibiotics as well when some owners take their pets in for them to deal with the KC when it isn't always needed
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 11:03:11 PM »
Awww Caroline BIG hugs  :wub: - I'm sure he will be fine, but I understand how you feel  ;)

If I was at home all day would offer to have him for you,but could'nt leave him in a strange place with my two little monsters  :rolleyes:  x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"