Author Topic: Nexgard Spectra - anyone used it?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Nexgard Spectra - anyone used it?
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
We are going to France in the Moho in September, and Dylan is booked in for his rabies jab and pet passport next Monday. He will need to have flea/tick/worm treatment which has to be signed off on the passport.

Now we get a lot of ticks here in Scotland, I just pick em off. I don,t use a flea treatment, we have never had them (touch wood). I don't like using chemicals unless necessary. However, I have always wormed my dogs, with few problems, but last year he was given Drontal, he was very ill after, with sickness and diarrhoea, all his gut bacteria were stripped out and he had a course of Canakur eventually. We were up in far north of Scotland at the time in the Moho, vets few and far between, so it was not a good experience, and I haven't actually wormed him this year.

The nurse/receptionist I just spoke to said they have a new product called Nexgard Spectra, a chewable medication which you give them monthly, and does fleas, ticks and worms all in one go.  I'm always wary of all in one things, and I see there's a Facebook group with horro stories of dog deaths from it  :fear2:

When you go to France you have to get your dog wormed 48 hours before you return on the ferry, and signed off by a vet, which might make the timing of giving it problematic. Anyone had any experience of this product?

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Darwin

Re: Nexgard Spectra - anyone used it?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
We've been using in it for 6 months or so. Yes it's a small chewable cube, but with Darwin it's down in one!  So much easier than using Advocate, which Darwin hated ( it made him pace) Its recently been licensed for lungworm. Additional the weight/doseage it much better as when Darwin was well he was 10.5kg and had to have Advocate for up to 25kg. With Nexguard it's 7.5Kg to 15kg

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:50 PM »
While I have never used it - I did have a rather full on discussion with my previous vet over his suggestion for Bravecto which last 3 mths I think, he really had no idea I had looked up these treatments and I told him that if I went down the road I would use Nexgard purely because I felt something that lasted 1 month would be better to try first than something lasting 3 months.  He had to look Nexgard up in a book!

I might be wrong but I think Nexgard is possibly more known in the States and by the makers of Frontline - my friend in the States uses it on her Westie.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
I seem to glean from googling that it's Australasian. It's actually five days you have to give the dog a tapeworm treatment in France before you catch the ferry, oops got the time wrong. If Dylan was having the nexgard, the timing could be out in that he'd had his tab say two weeks before the ferry. So I wouldn't want to overdose him. I think I may need to go down the route of doing separate flea/tick treatments, getting him Wormed before we go, and getting the tapeworm tab just before we return. Got a few days to do some research anyway.

We went to France two years ago for the first time, got our lovely old Milo his passport, but he sadly died a month before we went  :012:, so no experience of taking a dog abroad.  Hate the thought of stuffing him with so many chemicals before we go. He's due his boosters in August too.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »
I have favoured Advantix for last few years it's effective for fleas ticks sandflies, but there is also the Seresto collar which a few COLers use.

With me it was that I new topical treatment suited Ollie from Frontline days so moved on to Advantix, but you would need a wormer, never took Ollie overseas - but just wondering would you have to have the vetinary nurse apply treatment - as how to they confirm it's given for passport.

It is a mine field, but these adverse reports make you think twice, but we have to balance things out, OH came in with some meds from the Dr tonight for muscle/shoulder pain - the info papers would have anyone decling tablets and throwing them in the bin.

One other thing to mention Ollie is only small and weighs 10 to 11kilos depending on how good he is at the vets when being weighed:005: the vet nurse was pushing me to buy the 10kg to 25kg treatment, saying I was underdosing and wasting my money on the 4kg to 10kg range, but the weight difference is staggering, being used to us humans and prescribing when working in healthcare it was troubling, sooo.....I said it had always worked and if it didn't I would buy the tiny dog Advantix upto 4kg and use that and the other so as to total 14kg..........needless to say she gives me the cold shoulder now :shades:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Golden Blue

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
My dogs both have Nexgard monthly for flea and tick control but not the one that covers worms as well. No problems though and no fleas or ticks ever. :)

Offline Alison D

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
We have just returned from France and took our Cocker Milly for the first time . It was all a bit stressful but everything went smoothly. As I understand it, the Rabies vaccination lasts for 3 years and you have to wait 3 weeks after the initial injection before you can travel.  The tapeworm treatment is only required for re-entry to the UK so no need for the treatment when leaving.  You must see a vet between 24 and 120 hours before returning to the UK so the vet can state on the passport that the animal is fit to travel.  This is when the tapeworm tablet is given.  This cost us about 40 euros.  Hope this helps.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »
Dylan had had his rabies jab, no problems, and has been wormed with Milbemax, after discussing with our vet, as he had a bad reaction to Drontal. I shall take the packet with me as the French vet may well give him one of these, which will save a few euros, apparently some of them do. So he's all ready to go and practicing his French barks  ;)

Lesley and Dylan