Author Topic: Wormcount  (Read 869 times)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Wormcount
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
Hi
I have just ordered a wormcount kit + lungworm kit for Reese, I have been giving him a milpro every 3 months (as recommended by vet)  I am no longer going to use regular worm treatment and will use worm count and treat if needed. How often do others on here carry out a wormcount if they are not using regular worm treatment? I was thinking the same about every 3 months but  just looking at different sites and it ranges from one, two, three or six months recommendation.
Thanks
Tracy

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Wormcount
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
(Sorry, was trying to delete this as I'd posted in error!  :huh:)

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
Hi. I use wormcount.  They are very good and send a reminder every three months. By the time I've sent for it then done it so that they get the sample early in the week, it's probably every four months. I know some people leave it six months in the winter.
I think every one or two months is a bit excessive (and expensive! ) and the results are only a snapshot of that particular time frame, but then so is giving worming tablets - they could well pick up worms the very next day.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
Thank you lescef.  :D

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »
I also use wormcount, I think like many things it depends on the area you live in and your dog,

If there is a issue with Lungworm etc in your area or your dog is a scavenger I would do it before 6 months, I do every 3 months purely for piece of mind.

As lescef has said it is only a snap shot in time but I prefer it to using Wormer.

Sharon.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
Thank you Sharon.  :D
I feel more comfortable about testing every 3 months now.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
I received my worm kits about a week ago via myitchydog but haven't yet used them. 

I was using Advocate and Drontal for Grace and my vet was recommending other products to try instead, but this makes far more sense - I've never liked using chemicals or drugs for Grace, but I didn't realise there was an alternative!

It's a shame that our own vets don't advise us of the natural options out there.  Grace has had her boosters right up to this year - so that's seven boosters that she probably never needed  - it won't be happening again and I've now told my vet we will titre moving forward.  Oddly enough he was more than happy to do this and yet never once at her annual booster did he tell me there was a better way! 

Offline its.sme

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 07:41:20 PM »
Guelder Rose there is plenty vets do not tell us, it's best to do your research but be aware that you can find internet searches a positive and negative thing.

I believe there is a facebook page for things the vets never tell you, I always find talking to fellow Cocker owners a great help.

As with Wormcount Titre testing is just a snap shot in time, it unfortunately dose not test for all ( sorry can't remember which one it doesn't cover ) but it's another thing that I do instead of just routinely immunise Bea.

My vet is a ex pharmacist who totally agrees in giving a yearly Booster, when I spoke to him about my concerns he agreed that for Bea it is the best for her.

Sharon.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 08:40:24 AM »
I sometimes use wormcount, and if I do I use the one that tests for lungworm as well as tapeworm and roundworm. But sometimes I'm a bit lazy and worm them with Milbemax instead. I do one or the other every 3-4 months. In the years since I started using wormcount I've only had a "bad" result once, when William had a medium roundworm burden. Louis' was tested at the same time and was fine.

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
Guelder Rose there is plenty vets do not tell us, it's best to do your research but be aware that you can find internet searches a positive and negative thing.

I believe there is a facebook page for things the vets never tell you, I always find talking to fellow Cocker owners a great help.

As with Wormcount Titre testing is just a snap shot in time, it unfortunately dose not test for all ( sorry can't remember which one it doesn't cover ) but it's another thing that I do instead of just routinely immunise Bea.

My vet is a ex pharmacist who totally agrees in giving a yearly Booster, when I spoke to him about my concerns he agreed that for Bea it is the best for her.

Sharon.

Hi Sharon

Yes, I recently joined the group on FB that you mentioned - it is a very interesting group, but at the same time it leaves you wondering what on earth to believe.  For my own part, I now feel that annual boosters are not the right way to go - but if I had a puppy today I think I would still opt to have the first shots rather than go vaccine free.

I know that the worm count will only really apply on the day of the test, but would it also not be right to say that the drugs like Drontal work in the same way and our dogs could get infected again shortly after treatment?  I think the FB group has really highlighted to me the other choices that are available that hopefully will enable me to do better for Grace.

Offline its.sme

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 05:31:32 AM »
Guilder Rose,
I totally agree about wormers etc, my mission is to reduce the amount of toxins going into Bea's system as much as possible.

The more information we have  = a more informed decision and that must be better for our Cockers :luv:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
Important to note that wormcounts can give false negative results. The vets probably(?) recommend deworming on a monthly basis because that is the most effective way to avoid infection. Not to mention avoiding that infected animals shed parasites for months before the infection is discovered and treated. Vet recommendations usually depend on the local parasite population. Where I live there are no dangerous parasites so here the vets recommend never deworming adult dogs unless there is suspicion of infection and preferably a fecal sample confirming this. And since you need a prescription to get dewormers no one uses them regularly unless they are travelling, because the vets won't prescribe it without a good reason. This is because they worry about drug resistance if dewormers are used too much. The dewormers are safe when used correctly, so they don't worry about that part. But in an area with potentially dangerous parasites, like lungworm, it is not surprising that the recommendations are for more intensive prevention plans. I never use dewormer now because I live in a safe area, but I used to live in an area where you could find heartworm and my dog would get dewormers every month to make sure no infection had time to get out of hand. It's all about balance and information I guess :)