Author Topic: Blue's gone off raw food  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: Blue's gone off raw food
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Hi I have used Natural Instinct and Nutriment.  Tried Nutriment  though a bit too much bone for her as my spaniel Jessie suddenly wouldn't touch the NI turkey flavour and she is never fussy with her food only when she has a really bad stomach.
I have been trying completes from a company called Manifold Valley Meats . This last year they have started making completes without veg and a chunky mince.  I order mine through www.rawpetsupplies.co.uk.  A very helpful suppliers . They have a closed FB group or you can message them with any questions.  They will courier or deliver if you are in their area though they are coming up to their Xmas deadline.
Erica.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 11:03:30 AM »
Thank you Erica, I was wondering which other brands to try.  May give them a try if he doesn't get on with what's now overflowing from the freezer!

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »
They also stock Paelo Ridge,  Just Natural, who do completes, Bulmers and a few more.
Erica.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »
Not going well.  Seems to only want Kibble, which he gets very excited about when he sees me heading for the container.  I feel like he's telling me something. 
Anyone want a load of frozen raw food to try, mostly Natural Instinct, a few packs of Nutriment?  I am in Halifax, West Yorkshire.
Can't really justify hogging the freezer space if he isn't going to eat it, but really don't want to just keep throwing it away a pack at a time, when he refuses it.. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
Not going well.  Seems to only want Kibble, which he gets very excited about when he sees me heading for the container.  I feel like he's telling me something. 
Anyone want a load of frozen raw food to try, mostly Natural Instinct, a few packs of Nutriment?  I am in Halifax, West Yorkshire.
Can't really justify hogging the freezer space if he isn't going to eat it, but really don't want to just keep throwing it away a pack at a time, when he refuses it..

How about a rescue kennels if you can find one with a freezer close enough
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »
Have you tried feeding it partially frozen so its not as mushy and he has to chomp on it more? Maybe a texture thing...
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »
Yes, he used to like it semi frozen.  Just won't eat it at all now ☹️

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »
 >:D That must be so frustrating! Its like when you spend the whole morning preparing a wonderful balanced meal and then the kids come in and ask where the ketchup is!! :lol2:

Offline lescef

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
I'm just wondering if it's worth hanging on to the food as how many of our dogs have done this but then got over it and carried on with the same food?
Maddie did the same at about ten months, refusing to eat the Fish4dogs I used to feed her. I tried everything to tempt her, but then one day she just started to eat it again. It is like battle of wills! >:D
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 08:32:43 PM »
Know what you mean.  If it weren't Xmas and all freezer space at a premium I might have been keener.  I've just fed him kibble today, he refused NI chicken & tripe this morning, which was previously a favourite.  I just feel like the raw experiment is now over, for the time being at least.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 04:42:13 PM »
The move to kibble has played havoc with the poop situation 😷 
I've given him 3 frozen chicken wings for his tea, which he has thoroughly enjoyed, let's hope tomorrow's poop is solid.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »
How about trying wet food as an interim, there are grain free options if you require and they do not need freezer space. Shelf life is good, so if he goes off it, you can hang on to it longer.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 08:58:31 PM »
Only tried one type of wet food previously, a German 'own branded' one from zooplus, called Wolf of Wilderness, which I got free with an order of something else.  It looked OK, had good reviews, was grain free, so I thought well, why not try it?.  He only had one can of it, split between two meals, and OMG, I swear I was picking it up for a fortnight!
He (unfortunately) LOVED it.  So much so, that the following day when I opened a can of baked beans for my lunch, he started to yap and run round in circles, because he thought he was getting some more!
I took the remaining 5 cans to our local RSPCA branch, I hope they'll forgive me ...

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »
 :005: :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 09:12:08 PM »
Oh well, just a thought