Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Rosalie

Help!
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:23 PM »
Please help! I have a 16 week old working cocker. Although I’ve always had dogs this is my first Cocker and he’s proving to be a real challenge! On the positive side he is really good with the toilet training, sleeps all night in his crate and is good on walks both on and off the lead BUT he can turn especially in the evening, into a whirling dervish, tearing around trying to bite me, chew any of the furniture that he can get his teeth into and behaving like 👹 I have tried to distract him with his many toys but nothing pacifies him until he collapses asleep. It is such a shame as he can be so sweet but is really scary when he goes into one of these moods. What can I do???

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:48:39 PM »
Hi, crate him. When he gets like that it’s most likely he’s over-tired. Just put him in his crate, he’ll soon settle and get the sleep he needs.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »
Hi, crate him. When he gets like that it’s most likely he’s over-tired. Just put him in his crate, he’ll soon settle and get the sleep he needs.
Definitely time out and a nap, over excited, like a toddler on a sugar high.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
Just a normal cockerdile juvenile.  Give him more time outs. These little monsters become even bigger monsters when tried. Just smile, the "terrible twos" stage will soon be upon you   :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »
Hi and welcome to you and your pup, glad you found us!
Nothing much to add to previous comments, puppies need a LOT of sleep at that age and can get wound up and over excited pretty quickly. Keep play sessions short and stay consistent, decide when its „game over“ and calmly give her time out. The so called „Zoomies“ are well known amongst us cocker lot,  :005:, (although all over tired pups of any breed can react similarly) but they can get a bit out of hand if you allow yourself to get wound up as well. Stay quiet,  calm and firm and stick with us here on COL - you won‘t find any better moral support than here!  :shades:
Best of luck!  :luv:

Offline Rosalie

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
Thank you all so much. Will definitely use the crate more. It’s a while since we last had a pup in the house and they’ve always been labs so this is all new.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
I tend to stand back and let them go mad - it often sounds worse than it is. Or give them something to do
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »
Salty was the same, from the advice we got from this forum, we put him down to sleep much more during the day and when he was mad at night (He used to sleep outside in an annex and then a kennel - now at 20 mnths sleeps inside on sofas) - worked a dream

@PennyB - love the signature  :lol2: