Author Topic: 12 weeks puppy uncontrollable specially after 6 pm  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Seb2020

12 weeks puppy uncontrollable specially after 6 pm
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »
Hi everyone, any tips on this would be some very much welcomed.
Our 12 weeks puppy boy ( show type) becomes uncontrollable around 6 pm: bitting, growling, snarling, and barking. During the day he’s better and can be quite affections although the easy growling is always there.
He is never alone during the day as both myself and husband are working from home. We will take frequent breaks to play a little with him during the day and from later this week he will be able to go further a field than backgarden for walks. Our 8 yo still managing it but i can see going down hill if she gets properly bitten one of these days!
Not quite sure how to deal with this anymore. Any help or advise very welcomed. Considering getting some training by a dog trainer but not quite sure how that would help with what seem to have become the ‘normal & stressful’ evenings!
Many thanks Teresa

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: 12 weeks puppy uncontrollable specially after 6 pm
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
You have a normal little cockerdile. Probably getting over tired. Try getting him to sleep more during the day. The bigger dog will tell the pup off if it gets to much.
It's a stage we have to go through. Check up on the pup pages, there is plenty of advice, all tried and tested.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:53:28 PM »
Hi Teresa and welcome!
There was a post on here just last week about an almost identical problem (have a look on the puppy board „11 week old puppy biting and snarling“) and there was lots of good advice, so maybe have a look. To sum up, its quite normal  ;) in pups at the age but the problem is usually that they‘re just overtired, they need LOADS of sleep but often need to be persuaded.  Do you have a crate or a gate so you can give him a quiet, time out place to rest? Children and pups make great companions but young children won‘t always realize soon enough when things are starting to escalate.
A bit like with children, its a good idea to set a routine and install a watershed,  - after Humphrey has had his evening meal, his day winds down, he‘ll allowed to cuddle on the couch with me  :005: but there‘s no more play and no more attention, the evenings are our time.!
Best of luck, - stick with us, there‘s no better place for advice and support in everything cockerish!
Looking forward to updates!,

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:30:55 PM »
Hi!
Salty was exactly the same, could set your watch by it
Sleep was the main solution for us, he had to be put to bed quite a few times during the day
That and waiting till he got older  :lol2:
There is a post about my boy and our trials and tribulations on here
He is such an amazing dog now at around 20 months - so cheeky, naughty, cuddly, affectionate, energetic.
Actually he has just jumped up into my wife's (another Teresa!) arms and is being cradled like a newborn and purring away like a cat-dog
Its hard to believe what a monster he was as a puppy  :lol2:
Take heart, its all worth it in the end
We managed and we had no idea what we were doing until we got so much good advice and support on this forum
I get a warm feeling every time I even see a photo of a Cocker now

Offline Seb2020

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 07:23:02 AM »
Thank you all for you encouraging words! We have indeed tried to give Seb more down time in a quieter corner of the house, including when is family dinner time....and he seems to like it! When the ankles bitting starts to be too much we are consistently taking him to a calmer area .
And Seb can indeed be very cuddly....sleeping on my nap as I type!
Some many new situations to learn about.... any good threads on 1st walks and successfully letting them out of the lead?
Have a good weekend everyone!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »
Have a nosey through some of the old threads, either under Puppies or Behaviour and Training, there are lots of discussions on walking and achieving (or not  :lol2:) loose lead walking. My advice is to start good lead behaviour as early as possible and above all be consistent. Cockers are renowned for pulling and the earlier you start the better, before the bad habits set in!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 05:47:25 PM »
Awww sounds like you are doing well by listening to the advice from forum members and giving him some down time

Wishing you all the best with him and be consistent  ;)

Offline Shaun W

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »
Similar to us, Alfie now has several enforced nap/quiet time in his crate, as he won’t sleep on his day bed or chair.
We get the bogeys around 2000, but I have started playing with his tug e nuff toys for 15 minutes and that seems to be solving that.