Author Topic: Walkies and Wees  (Read 2812 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Walkies and Wees
« on: February 20, 2004, 12:05:29 PM »
Has anyone experienced this before....?

Honey has really started to get the hang of toileting, and will go outside to wee nearly all the time now.  She has also had all her jabs, so is experiencing the big wide world with daily short walks.

She hasn't yet done a wee or poo while she has been on a walk though.  She will trot (or yank me) along happily, then get home and dart straight to the back door for a wee.

I have tried using the magic 'toilet' word whilst we are walking, but I think she is just too distracted/excited to be out.

Any tips on getting her to have her wees/poos on her walk?                    
All the best
Phil

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:35:49 PM »
We used the puppy pads with Indie, and for a while he'd go for a walk and then use a pad when he came in. As soon as she does one on your walk (she's bound to at some point!) just make a huge fuss of her (I made a right fool of myself they day he did his first poo outside,lol) and hopefully she'll get the idea. Do you have a word you use? We use *do a pee* and when he uses his mat I repeat it so he gets the connection, then lots of praise.

He's still having some accidents, but we are nearly there, he's 17 weeks now.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 01:02:02 PM »
Butty occasionally still does this Phil...and she's 18 months old  :roll:
She just gets so excited when I take her out for a walk that she simply forgets to do the toilet  :shock:  too many exciting smells and things going on I think  :wink:
What I think will help is when she does actually do the toilet whilst on a walk...when she does give her loads of extra praise etc and hopefully she should get the message for next time, although if she's anything like Butty she'll wait till you get home and run for the backdoor cross-legged  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 01:12:03 PM »
Billy still does this and he is 3 :shock:  We normally take him out for 20 minutes in the morning and again in the evening, he very rarely does anything on these short trips,and will dart straight out into the garden when he gets home.  I think he is shy :oops:

Michelle                    

Offline PennyB

Walkies and Wees
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 02:53:12 PM »
I have friends whose dogs never go to the toilet out on a walk (unless they are scent marking) but always go in their garden.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 12:08:13 PM »
Awww Maggies just the same... holds it til we get home!                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 12:52:30 PM »
Trust Jimmy to be different .......... he won't do poos in peoples' gardens at all, no matter how desperate he is he waits for a walk.... not very patiently though, he'll make sure I know. :roll:   Misty aint fussy though, anywhere will do.

The usual advice given , Phil, is to take a bit of soiled paper/puppy pad with you to the park and encourage the pup to using that as a signal of what's expected. I suppose it must be confusing for them, first they are told to use paper, then encouraged to go in the garden..... just as they get the hang of that we ask them to use the park. :lol: I remember taking a wee stained sheet of newspaper to the park for Jimmy, laying it out flat and using his toileting instruction which was "come on, on the paper".... I didn't half get some funny looks. :oops:  I learnt my lesson second time round, using the phrase "hurry up" for Misty from day one. If you use a phrase like this to Honey every time she does a wee/poo in the garden she will quickly make the association for when you say it in the park.... well hopefully. :D                    

Offline T

• Site Member
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 05:45:45 PM »
Mmm unfortunately Charlie-Spud doesn't have this problem at all he will happily wee & poo  anywhere outside!  :oops: ... like one time we were just 2 doors down the road for a walk, he stopped & shuffled & poo'd! right in the middle of the road in full view of all the neighbours!! (we're in a drive/cul-de-sac type thing & have no path) ... then another time he come out the front door to greet me, ran onto our neighbours drive, stopped & squatted & pee'd!! (Yep, he still squats like a girl!! :lol: ) It's on a slope too so it made a nice trickle effect all the way down!!!

We use the words "wee-wees" when we want him to go ... this worked well during toilet training to go outside in the garden ... and we carried it on out on walks and for when we get out the car after a journey. We've now got him to give us a "woof" when he wants to go out!  :)                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 11:53:34 AM »
We have had just that problem, Barnaby holds it in throughout the walk and then lets it out as soon as he gets inside. What we do is, if he doesn't do any thing out in the street we take him into the front garden and keep him out there until he goes. It takes time but it is starting to work.                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 04:06:01 PM »
Ever felt you'd spoken too soon?

Well since posting this, we have had 2 wees outside, and one poo (in Sainsbury's car park on the way to Pets at Home :oops:  :oops:  Good job I'd taken some nappy sacks with me?!)

So maybe she is slowly getting the hang of it!  Maybe Cockersonline was the cure.  I've seen a couple of posts like mine on here, when shortly after putting them on, the dog has done whatever the post has said they won't do - how wierd it that?? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

BFN                    
All the best
Phil

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Walkies and Wees
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 10:49:23 PM »
she's just being a typical cocker Phil - fickle and stubborn all the way through, but loveable all the same ;) :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk