Author Topic: Puppy with underbite - Advice needed  (Read 1417 times)

Offline PamB

• Site Member
Puppy with underbite - Advice needed
« on: February 22, 2004, 05:08:12 PM »
Can anyone help?

I have been looking for an older puppy/young adult cocker to join my older dog.  Ideally, I have been looking for a liver roan or liver and white and so I have been looking for a while.  I have now found one that it is a possibility and have spoken to the owner over the phone.  Only problem is I have been told this dog has a "slight" underbite :? .  As the dog is some distance away I would like someone's advice whether I should bother to go and see the dog or not.  

The price is in my opinion on the high side.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 05:49:26 PM »
Hi Pam

An underbite is obviously a big no-no for anyone wanting to show and/or breed although it's not particularly significant for a pet dog unless the problem is severe. Another member of this forum was recently offered a young liver roan with a mouth fault - there were other problems as well which came light when the breeder/owner was visited & so this member declined to buy this dog. I'm not saying the Cocker you have been offered is the same one, but just in case it is, feel free to contact me privately & I'll give you more information.

Jane

PS I would not expect a Cocker with an undershot mouth to be offered for sale at the same price as one with perfect dentition.                    
Jane

Offline PamB

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 06:53:08 PM »
Thanks Jane.  Have PM'd you. :)