Author Topic: Litter trays?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Litter trays?
« on: February 23, 2004, 05:50:42 PM »
Hi,

Has anybody here has any success in toilet training using a litter tray, with shredded paper inside?

Jazz is good as gold in the morning, and after waking, we put her outside and almost always follows the 'hurry up ' command. i am not using newspaper.. i am taking her outside after playing, and sleeping.

She does  go outside, and then i praise her ,  then we go insode and within 30 mins she has pee'd again on the carpet. this is very frustraing, as it tells me the actual training is not working. Someone recommened using a littler tray, with paper.

She is now almost 100% weaned onto Burns and loves it so much, although i have noticed her to be much more hyper.. and she is growling alot more, i thought maye this is her confidence growing as she is becoming comfortable around around me and Cathy

Any suggestions?                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Litter trays?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 08:15:52 PM »
Hi Alan

If I remember right you've only had Jazz for a couple of weeks.  Some dogs are quicker at picking up the toilet training business than others.  Morgan was actually nearer to 5 months when he could be totally trusted and even then there was the occasional accident.

I don't think you'll find that anyone will recommend litter training a puppy - your ultimate aim is to get her going outside 100% of the time and using a litter tray would be a step backwards.  I know it's hard on the carpets but it sounds like you're doing the right things - it just takes time.

These cockers are smart in some ways but boy does it take time for some things to sink in!!  :roll:  :P

Shirley  :D

P.S.  Sorry I have no experience of feeding Burns but I'm sure someone who has will be along shortly  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Litter trays?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 10:38:46 PM »
Sorry Alan, litter trays work for cats but not for puppies :wink: It could be that your pup can smell where she has "been" before on your carpet & is returning to the same spot, even though you have cleaned the area (dogs have much more sensitive noses than us). You can use special odour-removing cleaning solutions (available at most pet stores these days) or try using a warm solution of biological washing powder to clean up any "accidents"

I've not heard of Burns causing hyper behaviour - in fact its often recommended for hyper dogs because its free from artificial colourings & preservatives & is made from natural ingredients.                    
Jane