Author Topic: 7 month's old...some questions  (Read 1791 times)

Offline alexisdee

• Site Member
7 month's old...some questions
« on: February 29, 2004, 08:16:21 AM »
I have a beautiful male cocker spaniel called Simba who is now just over 7 months. He is a beautiful puppy, but I have some questions that I would appreciate opinions on.

He is doing fine with his toileting providing the back door is left open. If the door is shut and he wants a wee, instead of drawing attention to himself, he sneaks into the quietest room and releives himself there. How do I train him to bark at the door when he wants to go out? Also, despite taking him out last thing at night, he still isn't dry at night. Any advice here also?

Simba falls asleep at night about 10'ish and he usually wakes up at about 6. Then, when he does wake, he scratches at the kitchen door, getting louder and louder until I give up and come down. I know I should ignore it, but I do not want him to disturb the kids or the neighbours. How can I stop him from doing this, it drives me crazy!!!  :x I don't like getting up at 6, and we have tried keeping him awake later - which doesn't work.

Should he be fed 2 bigger meals now?

When is the right time to have him 'done'??

Many thanks for all who reply :lol:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 12:39:34 PM »
Hi there

Welcome to the board  :D   My boy is nearly two and he was also quite slow in the uptake when it came to toileting.  Have you just left the door open for him since you got him - if you have, then he won't really have made the distinction between inside and outside.  You'll probably have to go back to puppy basics and take him out every hour or so to one spot, where you want him to go and pick a word to say to him - we tell Morgan to do 'hurry ups'  :D Praise him lots when he goes outside and after a while he's bound to get the message.

Morgan was also an early riser and we just suffered it until we were sure he was going to be dry all night and then let him sleep outside the bedroom door and he was fine then - I've no idea if this works for anyone else but he was happier and more settled when we started allowing him to do this.  Not sure if this would work for you as you may have decided that the kitchen is where you want him to sleep.

Morgan has not been neutered and we have no plans to have this done.  Is there a reason for you wanting to have Simba neutered?  People think it's a magic cure for all sorts of behaviour problems but I have three friends who've had this done to 'calm' their dogs down and it's made no difference.

As I say I've only got one cocker and he's also my first so someone with more experience won't be far away and they'll be able to give you more advice.

All the best

Shirley :D

P.S.  Any photos of Simba for the gallery?  what colour is he?                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 01:10:30 PM »
Hi,

When Vegas was a pup, he slept in the spare room at night - and every night he wet in the house regardless of how late I took him out. When he was about 6 months old, he started sleeping in my bedroom and i still left my bedroom door open so he could go to and fro but he still continued to mess. As I've had no joy teaching either of my two youngest to let me know when they are needing to go out, I figured that if I kept my bedroom door shut at night, if he needed to go then he would have to let me know. As it happened, ever since that night, he has been clean throughout the night :roll:  I think with him, it was a habit that he had got in to and limiting his access helped break it. My youngest is crate trained and he has never messed in the house - but it is only now I am leaving his crate door open for him to wander around the bedroom if he wants to. He is 16 months old now.   I also found that feeding their last meal earlier in the day and restricting water after say 9pm helped us.

As for having him neutered, have a look at our FAQ and hopefully this will answer any questions you may have. If not, just ask :D http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=3239

I think my boys were about 6 months old when I changed them to 2 meals a day so i think it will be fine for you to do the same to Simba.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 01:59:24 PM »
Have a look here for help with toilet training:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=2014

leaving the door open does not train them to ask and then when it's closed they can become confused. I foyu back to square one as tho he was a brand new puppy - he'll soon learn

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline JANE D

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 05:13:54 PM »
Hi - Well my Charlie Cocker is 6 1/2 months old and sleeps in the kitchen. He has always been very good at telling me when he wants to go out and was clean all night untill this last month and now every morning there's a wee on the floor!! He was also waking me at 6am but I have started shouting NO in a growly voice from upstairs and he quietens down. This morning I had a layin till 8.30 !! If you give in to his scratching then he has won and will keep doing it.  But it doesn't matter what time I get up there's always a wee and of course I can't tell him off cos I don't see him do it. So thats the next problem to solve

Jane and Charlie Cocker

Offline alexisdee

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 09:03:21 PM »
Thanks everybody for your good advice.

I will keep the door shut and try the basics again i.e. taking him out every hour.

And thanks Jane, I will try the loud NO tomorrow and see what happens.

Shirley, I will try to put a picture of Simba on the gallery, but incase I can't work out how to do it he is gold, and the most beautiful cocker there is!!!! (although I may be biased!!!!!)