Author Topic: Following me from room to room  (Read 2946 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Following me from room to room
« on: March 22, 2004, 09:12:43 AM »
Is this a cocker thing? Indie is so funny, he'll fall asleep in a patch of sunlight on the kitchen floor, while I'm cooking/cleaning, but if I leave the room, even if he's fast asleep, he trots after me!

I don't mind it at all, I just feel sorry for him waking up every time - does anyone else's do this?

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 09:47:59 AM »
Awww how sweet Shona, its because he loves you!!  I hope the little man is feeling better.  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 09:52:13 AM »
He's MUCH better this morning in particular. His eye swelling has gone down, and it's looking really really good. He hates his collar, but only 4 days to go, yay! The worst thing is he's whiffy - he really gets sweaty round the neck area, and he wants a good scratch, I have to do it for him!

I can't wait till Friday to get him in a nice cosy bath and all clean and scrubbed up.

I'm pleased with his eye, for a few days there it looked so red and angry looking, I was worried about infection, but we have been putting his antibiotic eye drops in regularly, so fingers crossed. He's so good, he just stands while you put them in, then he gest a treat.

Thanks

Shona x                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 10:23:34 AM »
This can be symptomatic of separation anxiety in some dogs. But then Wilf follows me around the house and I can leave him home alone without any problems (especially on the days Ruby goes training so Wilf is left home with a kong for company!).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 01:15:29 PM »
Hi Shona,

Tilly does this too, despite me telling her to stay where she is as I'll only be a minute (don't think she understands me!) She is also fond of patches of sunlight.

Interesting to note Penny's comment about separation anxiety as I am confident that, like Wilf,  Tilly does not display this at all when we go out, in fact she sometimes seems eager to get us out of the house so she can have her treat and some peace and quiet.  However, if I go somewhere where she can't follow me (ie upstairs) she does wait at the foot and has a bit of a moan and a whimper.  Mind you, she is an incredibly nosy dog, so it's probably because she wants to know what's going on and feels left out!

So please to hear that Indie is feeling better.

Sue                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 02:03:04 PM »
Mine follow me everywhere and will sit outside the door if I don't let them in - there are some places I insist on privacy :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 02:16:07 PM »
Hi Shona,

Tilly does this too, despite me telling her to stay where she is as I'll only be a minute (don't think she understands me!) She is also fond of patches of sunlight.

Interesting to note Penny's comment about separation anxiety as I am confident that, like Wilf,  Tilly does not display this at all when we go out, in fact she sometimes seems eager to get us out of the house so she can have her treat and some peace and quiet.  However, if I go somewhere where she can't follow me (ie upstairs) she does wait at the foot and has a bit of a moan and a whimper.  Mind you, she is an incredibly nosy dog, so it's probably because she wants to know what's going on and feels left out!

So please to hear that Indie is feeling better.

Sue

Often dogs who show separation anxiety will follow their owners around as well but it doesn't necessarily mean that because they do they'll suffer from separation anxiety but some can be borderline!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lesley8162

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 02:22:52 PM »
Dicksy is the same and I can say he's fine when I leave him to go to town or wherever as my hubby is on nights and he would hear him if he was making a noise in his crate.  He can appear sound asleep and the minute I leave the room for a second he's awake and at my ankles.  The funny thing is when he comes downstairs he doesn't bolt down he goes down one step at a time and if I stop he stops my son calls it doggy dressage!                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 02:40:28 PM »
Thanks guys, he's fine when I leave him, I did wonder about that, but he hops in his cage quite the thing, and snuggles up, and he's great overnight too.

Just a cocker quirk again then!

Shona                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 03:13:46 PM »
Indie tries to follow me around everywhere too!  However, I have just decided that from today shes not allowed upstairs :?   Have just spent about 45 mins on my hands and knees trying to get white hair out of a plain short pile burgandy carpet :roll:

I think its wise if you are home all day, to try and perhaps have an hour or so without the dog being with you, even its while you clean the bath :roll:   Otherwise it can spiral out of control, and circumstances may change, what if you need to work and can't be home 24/7 anymore :?   I think its always best to help your dog be independant to a point anyway :)                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 04:14:57 PM »
Morgan is also like a shadow, and I too feel guilty for moving from room to rom and distrubing him while he sleeps.

Emma, good luck in changing the rules  :lol:  , we didn't have much luck when we tried it.  We allowed Morgan into our bedroom while we had my mum and my nephew staying for a fortnight last summer, as he was not used to hearing noise in other rooms during the night and kept barking.  Once they left we tried putting him outside the door again, but we couldn't bare to hear him pining for us.  We didn't mind having him in the room so just allowed him to stay.  45 minutes on your hands and knees  :shock:  .......should get yourself a Dyson   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 05:00:29 PM »
45 minutes on your hands and knees  :shock:  .......should get yourself a Dyson   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

I've got one :?    :lol:   It was the stairs I was doing, it never comes up as well with the nozzlie thing :roll:                    

Offline milo's mum

• Site Member
    • http://www.pearshape.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 09:29:38 PM »
We've never managed to keep the cockers out (or in).

Most of the house is now got laminate floors or neutral coloured carpets (euphemism for muddy beige). And cleaning the stairs is Steve's job (because I can't manage to get the Dyson up or down the stairs (!). javascript:emoticon(':wink:')                    
Jackie, Steve and Milo.

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 10:12:40 PM »
Alfie is just as bad. He can actually be snoring but if I move out of the room he's up and at my feet :roll: If my hubby moves he doesn't bat an eyelid.  :lol:  even in the mornings, most of the time I'm up first and Alfie comes down and straight out for tidles. If hubby is first up Alfie doesn't move even if he calls him  :roll: My Retriever was a bit like my shadow too, but not quite as bad.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 09:42:35 AM »
45 minutes on your hands and knees  :shock:  .......should get yourself a Dyson   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

I've got one :?    :lol:   It was the stairs I was doing, it never comes up as well with the nozzlie thing :roll:

Oh, that sounds like hard work. We have a beige carpet on the stairs, burgundy sounds nice, but mine hides the hairs. I often do mine on my hands and knees too!

Shona x