Author Topic: Working cocker pup 11.5kg at 6 months!  (Read 1201 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Working cocker pup 11.5kg at 6 months!
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move if necessary mods.

I've been trawling through previous posts, but haven't really found an answer to my question. The thing is Chloe is 11.5k which, from what I've read about other cockers at that age is errrrr rather big  ;) She's not particularly tall and looks well proportioned to me, and there really isn't any fat on her. Has anyone else got a 6 month old pup that's that weight, but not fat? And when will she stop growing..it seems that many adult cockers aren't even that weight!

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Working cocker pup 11.5kg at 6 months!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »
Jack was about that weight at 6mths.
hes now about 13kg and 17 inches to the shoulder
Hes not overweight i like my dogs to have a clear waist and me to be able to feel their ribs. There is not a bit of fat on him but his back legs and shoulders are muscely

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »
Jack was about that weight at 6mths.
hes now about 13kg and 17 inches to the shoulder
Hes not overweight i like my dogs to have a clear waist and me to be able to feel their ribs. There is not a bit of fat on him but his back legs and shoulders are muscely

Thank goodness someone elses dog was that size at 6 months! Chloe is already muscly and has a well defined waist. She measures 24" round her (very deep!) chest, 24" from her top knot to her bum and is 15" tall (just been measuring her!) How old is Jack now?

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »
Jacks nearly 11 months, working cockers come in all shapes and sizes and Jacks at the bigger end.
most of their growings done by 12 months then there just filling out.
Jack put on about a kg a month until he reached 7mths then it slowed down alot.

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »
Not sure this will help but I was told yesterday that she needs to lose weight, her ideal weight as a small show type cocker is 11.5kg!  :o So we're watching what she eats now! Especially after being spayed!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Chloe was at vet's this morning for a check up on her recent eye problems and I asked him what he thought. He said she was perfect  :luv: Yes, she's a big girl but not at all overweight.

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 04:52:58 PM »
Alfie is big, i know im comparing to a boy but at 61/2months he is 16kg i think!? possibly 18kg. He is NOT FAT, i can still feel his ribs. He is VERY stocky and wide and just solid! He has not got any heavier, he is now 8months, in fact 8 months today!
Honey is a tiny little thing to look at (IMPO) well compared to Alfie, at 6.5months she was about 11kg. from what i remember anyway. Just proves they come in all shapes and sizes!!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 05:05:04 PM »
Alfie is big, i know im comparing to a boy but at 61/2months he is 16kg i think!? possibly 18kg. He is NOT FAT, i can still feel his ribs. He is VERY stocky and wide and just solid! He has not got any heavier, he is now 8months, in fact 8 months today!
Honey is a tiny little thing to look at (IMPO) well compared to Alfie, at 6.5months she was about 11kg. from what i remember anyway. Just proves they come in all shapes and sizes!!

Gosh Alfie is a big boy then! Yes, its reasuring to know they come in all different shapes and sizes; I'd be very upset if I thought Chloe was overweight but like your Alfie, I can feel her ribs so am not gonna get paranoid  ;)

Offline little_jack

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »
Funny this topic should come up...Jack was weighed for his worming treatment today and he was 11.6.  :o was my first reaction (he will be 6 months on wed). Was thinking of posting on here cos I was a bit worried he needed a diet or something  :005: Thing is you canfeel his ribs (not fat) and hes so skinny-looking when he is wet. Its a relief to hear that other people have cockers of similar weights.  :D

Kayli

Offline t1gg3er

• Donator
  • Darby & Dexter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »
Not sure what Mindy weighed at 6mths, but at 3.5 years she's 14.2 kilos.  She's not overweight, in fact she's a gorgeous build & doesn't look as tho she weighs that much.  She's just really solid & muscular.  :D  They do say muscle weighs heavier than fat (at least that's the excuse I use for not joining a gym  :005:)
Vanessa, Rob, Boys & Doglets
x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:38:10 AM »
Katie is six months today and weighs 6.9k
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »
Roxy is 8.3kg at 12 Months but she's quite dinky! Rio is a really tall leggy girl, and is 9.6kg. I don't think you can really do weight comparisons though as they're all such different shapes and sizes. I think if you think she looks okay, backed up by the vet etc then she should be just fine  :luv: