Author Topic: Should I get a 8week old puppy or a 8month old one  (Read 4205 times)

Offline mcphee

Re: Should I get a 8week old puppy or a 8month old one
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
Although I did not have any trouble at nights with Rufus, the furniture destruction stage, and DD shoe destruction was worse than I expected. However, I was new to the game, so this time would know what to do a bit better. On balance however, I would go for the 8 month old, as I am a softie would feel more sorry for her!

Offline harleys mum

• Site Member
  • Harley & Rio....butter wouldn't melt!
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »
Harley was one year when we rescued Rio who was also one year - no age gap at all but they get on fine, and I just love to watch them playing together and watching out for each other - but perhaps we were lucky!!
Lu

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but nearly everyone seems to be looking at it from the point of view of what's best for the OP ( missing out on the early months of puppyhood versus sharp teeth and mopping up wee) - surely the main thing is what's best for the dogs ? As well as the training aspects to consider, when adding a second dog there's no guarantees that they'll get on. A lot is down to the individual personalities but you can increase the chances of everything going smoothly by playing the percentage game. In my experience the combination that is the most likely to result in problems is two adolescent bitches close in age. Tempting as it is to think 'I want one and I want one now', for the dogs sakes there's so much more to take into account.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
We have done both.... well Rosie was 6 months old when we got her  :blink: To be very honest both were hard work for different reasons.

Personally I would wait for a bigger age gap  :blink: unless you have alot of time to put into training 2 young dogs  :blink:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »
I've just re-read the thread as I somehow had the idea the first time that the OP's existing dog was 2 but I see she's actually only 1, my brain really is not engaging this week at all. In that case I would also have to say I'd think carefully about taking on another dog of such a similar age, especially another bitch as Colin has said, that is a very small age gap and while some people do it and it works ok it really does increase the likelihood of issues cropping up.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cran477

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
yeah good point, the ages are so similar, I would only take her on the grounds that if they didnt get on i could return her, not ideal but its Darlaghs house and if she wasnt happy I would do all I can to make her happy, I was thinking along the grounds that we have a lot of time for our own dog and we have a big garden for them both to play in and run about, I think it could be better to wait, i dont think i would want a young puppy as I was lucky with DJ(darlagh) and she was a great sleeper never cried and was so easy to train I wouldnt want to start all over and have one that wasnt so easy to settle. Darlagh is so good at recall and has never once run away on her own she always stays close and will look round at me for guidence if she thinks she is going to far, sometimes I think she is looking for me to call her back........more thought to go into it........ :005:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
Hmmm, given that Darlagh is so young and you are not so keen on the puppy phase by the sound of it, it sounds like it might be wise to wait until Darlagh is a bit older before you add another dog to your household  ;)  Maybe you should wait until next spring/summer before you increase your doggy family - if you are not sure about it, I would say wait  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 02:59:22 PM »
yeah good point, the ages are so similar, I would only take her on the grounds that if they didnt get on i could return her, not ideal but its Darlaghs house and if she wasnt happy I would do all I can to make her happy, I was thinking along the grounds that we have a lot of time for our own dog and we have a big garden for them both to play in and run about, I think it could be better to wait, i dont think i would want a young puppy as I was lucky with DJ(darlagh) and she was a great sleeper never cried and was so easy to train I wouldnt want to start all over and have one that wasnt so easy to settle. Darlagh is so good at recall and has never once run away on her own she always stays close and will look round at me for guidence if she thinks she is going to far, sometimes I think she is looking for me to call her back........more thought to go into it........ :005:

Please don't take this the wrong way but i wouldn't like to take on any puppy, and in the back of my mind think i could return her if it doesn't work out.  :'(   I would feel so sad for the puppy if it didn't work out and in the space of her short life had 2 homes in 8/9 months.  :'(

I understand you want the best for your Darlagh but perhaps it may not be the right time?  :-\   Good Luck for whatever you decide.  :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 03:00:28 PM »
If you go to see her, I would find out whether she has lived in the house and also how much training she has had, If the breeder was thinking of showing her then I would expect that she had had some sort of ringcraft basic training at least  :huh:

;)Good luck with whatever you decide

Jann :-*

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »
Perhaps speak to the breeder and find out more about the personality of the older pup, hopefully, with their dog's best interests at heart, they should be able to advise you on what set up would be best for her new home. The breeder will hopefully be willing for Darlagh and the older pup to spend time together to see how they interact with each other now - or even a week's trial to see how they get on?

No one can predict the future and how they will grow up and interact together, other COLers will be more experienced here, particularly those that have had to rehome one dog due to their inability to get along, although every situation will be different. I would try to find out as much as possible about the older pup - I would know straight away when meeting the pups and speaking with the breeder which option feels right. So go along this evening and find out more.

We have made the decision to get another dog, Blodwen will be 6 months when our new 8 week old boy will arrive, it's not an option everyone would go for but feels right for our family.

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline BabyB

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »
Henry was 6mths old (had since a pup  >:D) and then got Katie his cousin who was 18mths old from the same wonderful breeder (she wasn't keen on showing, so she came to us  :D).

We had Katie for a couple of weeks to see how they got on and we've never looked back  :banana:

That said, I do agree with Colin - but puppy or 8mth old, it depends on how they get on with Darlagh.  If they didn't, how would you feel at giving them back  :'(
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline oscars mum

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
please think very carefully we have just had to return a dog with problems and I have been beating upself up since.
Dont think it is an easy option! :'(

Offline PennyB

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 06:27:41 PM »
Personally, i would opt for an 8 week old puppy and would rather have the hard work involved from the start.  ;)

I would also ask the question why does the breeder have an 8 month old puppy still for sale?  :-\

If the breeder breeds for showing it is quite common to retain 2 pups and see which develops best for the show ring , then sell one of them  ;)

or have an owner return one back to them ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »
Sorry if i coming over all emotional about this thread  :'( but we are talking about a living, breathing, loving little puppy and from some of the posts it almost comes across as 'well if this puppy doesn't fit in she could be returned to the breeder'  :huh:  Its not like having a handbag and deciding you don't like it!  ph34r  Yes i am sure that most breeders will always take a puppy or fully grown dog back but the long term consequences for the dog needs to be considered before anyone even considers having one.  I shudder at the thought of any dogs ending up in rescue (although i know there are some brilliant one's known on this site  :blink:) and i really don't wish to upset anyone but to me the life of the puppy/dog always comes first.  :luv:

The old saying 'A dog is for life, not just for Christmas' is sooooo... true.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »

The age gap between my two is three years.  We decided to go for a bitch the second time round , and Dylan's basic training was in place. They get on very well together, and I am glad I waited and gave Dylan that time as a youngster before getting a second cocker spaniel.