Author Topic: Eating ice!!!  (Read 632 times)

Offline shezza

Eating ice!!!
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »
Hello all, now we have had a lot of snow and it has turned to ice could it cause problems if a puppy were to eat it?
I know it might sound trivial but I have ask because my wife keeps getting on to ME about Lulu our six month old pup, she just loves eating snow/ice, it takes ages to get her in from outside because she loves it so much?

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
Re: Eating ice!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
Ice and snow are perfectly ok .... you might just have to worry about alot more tinkles!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »
You could put a flexi-lead or longline on her so you get to control how long she is in the garden.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:24:11 AM »
I have a 14mth old who tries to get ice at every opportunity and given the ice we have about just now he has plenty opportunity. I had the same concerns as your OH and posted this thread on 'Health' at the weekend.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=78456.0

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
My delta loves to chew on an ice cube now and then as I read on here that its good for teething pups (she's 5months now) she loves them and wolfs them down after a good chewing session! She has experienced snow for the 1st time today, she love love loved it! Ran around the field with her ball firmly planted in mouth, didn't seem to bothered about playing chase with it, jjust ran round in the snow!  :005:

Offline Alligin Liath Dubh Chon

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »
Jasper eats snow ( 6 months) and it hasn't caused him any problems.

I feed my S-I-L''s retriever ice cubes  too ! he loves them and sits next to the ice dispenser waiting for them !!

I have had more problems recently  with the deep snow where we live actually attaching onto the fur on Jasper's  lower legs.

We went out for our first snow walk on Sunday and i had to carry him home due to the amount of snow on his fur ( which had formed lumps about the size of tennis balls.

Sorted him out with the hairdryer and comb when i got back- large pool of cold water on the floor !

alan

Offline Catie74

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
This snow has caused a few little accidents in my house.  Takes to go out on walks with Archie too because he keeps eating the ice and snow, and because he is so occupied with eating his way through it all, he is not thinking about the fact that he needs to pee either.  While I love the snow and Archie loves it too, I just want to get back on track a bit.  I would hate to think he has now decided he can wee inside because of it

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
William has been eating a lot of snow. I was a bit worried that the coldness of it might give him tummy ache but the only problem has been extra peeing. I was horrified yesterday when I walked into the kitchen to find William curtseying (he doesn't cock his leg often) and calmly doing a huge pee on the doormat, his microfibre towel and the floor :005:

Even the microfibre towel couldn't soak it all up and it's now outside the back door, frozen solid and waiting to be hosed then machine washed with the doormat.