Author Topic: Leave to cry or take outside?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline jessandme

Re: Leave to cry or take outside?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 08:22:58 AM »
Well either your garden is ok or it is not - it can't be ok by day and not at night.  

If you know that you get foxes in your garden regularly then I think you'd have more of a problem - I have heard of dogs catching things from fox urine - but I've never heard of a dog catching anything from a cat or a squirrel other than fleas/worms which are always a possibility.  However I may be wrong, and if so then I'm sure someone will correct me!

I wouldn't put him on a puppy pad by the door - you are teaching him that it is ok to wee in the house.  I would take him outside, across the patio and straight to the grass, put him down at the edge.  Puppy lead can be a good idea so he cannot run off into the exciting dark garden - but I would expect he will stay close to you.   And remember to use your cue word (we say, hurry up) plus praise when he goes, but just quietly.

(Also remember to keep an umbrella by the back door, very useful!)

Offline Nicola81

• Dexter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »
Brilliant - thanks for your advice!  Really appreciated! 

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"

Offline seaangler

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
Quote...I wouldn't put him on a puppy pad by the door - you are teaching him that it is ok to wee in the house...

Not if you move it bit by bit and closer to the door and then out side!!.....Is that not what the traineing pad is for to teach your dog..If i am wrong i stand to be corected..Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline ClaireH

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »
Each to their and whatever works for the individual, but for me personally I wouldn't want a pup using those pads as you are teaching them it's ok to pee indoors, then you have to retrain them to go outside. I've known ppl who used them and every single one their dog took ages to toilet train. Mine was clean day and night within 2 weeks. Yes it's harder work in the short term but easier in the long term. My neighbours cocker is now 2 and still messes in the house!
-x-Claire-x-Indy-x-Storm-x-Scout-x-

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
I shut Penny's crate at night and got up to take her out around 2.30 am, then up at 6 am. It took a week or so for her to go through without accident, but once she'd done it, she's never looked back. I've always got up early to let her out though.

With my other dogs, who weren't crated, I left newspaper down. It took longer for them to be clean at night and one chewed the furniture in the kitchen and scratched the door. Wish I'd known about crates then!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011