Author Topic: Worms  (Read 615 times)

Offline Dylan11

Worms
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:16:23 PM »
Jasper is now 13weeks. We give him his worming tablet last week we had concerns as he had loose stools. The following morning he had a poo in his crate that had visible round worms. After that his poos were back to normal. However over the last day his poos have become loose again. This morning he had visible worms in his crate no vomit or poo visible. He seems all right in himself is it too early to give him another worming tablet. The first time was only half a tablet.

Offline karen488

Re: Worms
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
Were they dead or alive? Bingley threw up live worms. we wormed him and he pooed dead ones. If thats any help?

Offline Dylan11

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
Yes they were dead. Is this normal?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »
What worming medication are you using did you follow the instructions / dosage as prescribed?

For pups I use milbermax from the vets and it was either once a week or once a fortnight until 12 wks (can't quite remember) but from 12 wks to 6 mths it was once a month. Then 2 - 3 times per year after that.

Some wormers do seem to give them diarrhoea 24-48hrs after taking but I never experienced that with Milbermax.

I personally would ring the vet mainly because of his tender age, tell them what you've given and ask for their opinions on repeating a dose because worms were present. If you don't decide to ring the vet however I wouldn't personally repeat dose knowing more bank holidays are coming up just to air on the side of caution in case he becomes sick from the extra worming medication.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
Just seen your latest reply, if they were dead I'm assuming the wormer has been doing its job and again I don't think I'd repeat a dose without medical advice.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Dylan11

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
Medication was drontal.Puppies are such a worry. Not sure what to do for the best

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
Not sure what to do for the best

For that very reason I would ring your vet, explain what has been happening and take his advice.  And I agree with you that puppies are a worry but most problems can be sorted quite quickly.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: