Author Topic: Woody has found his voice!  (Read 345 times)

Offline Davyboy16

• Jasper 2002-2011, miss ya mate.
Woody has found his voice!
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
Hi all,

Finally we got Woody yesterday who is a 14 week old orange roan show cocker, the breeder re-homed him due to the first owners mum becoming very ill and she couldn't give the time needed. When we have been to the breeder he was very chilled and relaxed and hasn't made much noise at all until last night that is. We are crating him during the night in the kitchen, so we introduced him to it yesterday when we got him home and he went in and out of it during the day and was fine.

He went to bed at 11pm last night and within a few minutes Woody certainly found his voice :005:, he howled for about 40 minutes but as difficult as it was we ignored him and then he settled, he then started at 2 in the morning so once he was having a break from whining I let him out, I didn't fuss him or really acknowledge him and he did a wee and poo and trotted back to his crate OK. Again he howled for about 40 minutes and then went to sleep. At 5.30 he started again but this time I ignored him just to see and after 10 minutes he was quiet, I went down at 6.30 and took him for a walk. The big plus is he didn't mess his crate and hopefully he will start to settle, fingers crossed sooner rather than later but we will be patient with him and I'm sure the separation from his mum and other dogs the breeder has will pass.

Just out of interest how long did the sleepless nights last for other COL members?

Thanks,

Craig.

Offline beanbag

Re: Woody has found his voice!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
I think it really varies.
Im hoping when Bonnie comes home on wednesday she wont be too bad at night (i have pre-warned my neighbours). However my first family dogged cried all night for about 2 weeks and it took my dad sleeping downstairs with her at night to help her settle. With their new dog, she didnt  make a noise at night at all except on the first night when she was a littlw whiney for 5 minutes then slept.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Hi all,

Finally we got Woody yesterday who is a 14 week old orange roan show cocker, the breeder re-homed him due to the first owners mum becoming very ill and she couldn't give the time needed. When we have been to the breeder he was very chilled and relaxed and hasn't made much noise at all until last night that is. We are crating him during the night in the kitchen, so we introduced him to it yesterday when we got him home and he went in and out of it during the day and was fine.

He went to bed at 11pm last night and within a few minutes Woody certainly found his voice :005:, he howled for about 40 minutes but as difficult as it was we ignored him and then he settled, he then started at 2 in the morning so once he was having a break from whining I let him out, I didn't fuss him or really acknowledge him and he did a wee and poo and trotted back to his crate OK. Again he howled for about 40 minutes and then went to sleep. At 5.30 he started again but this time I ignored him just to see and after 10 minutes he was quiet, I went down at 6.30 and took him for a walk. The big plus is he didn't mess his crate and hopefully he will start to settle, fingers crossed sooner rather than later but we will be patient with him and I'm sure the separation from his mum and other dogs the breeder has will pass.

Just out of interest how long did the sleepless nights last for other COL members?

Thanks,

Craig.

My sleepless nights lasted 2 nights, but not for the reasons above. I had Charlie on the floor in the bedroom (a wooden floor) - he has his bed on it...anyway...everytime he got up and wondered (for a teddy) I heard his feet and his collar making a noise...after 2 nights I put him on the bed with a teddy in case he woke up and voila...he slept all night; I think we had a few weeks of night time toilet trips - but I was happy to do that, so long as he wasn't doing it inside. Now 12 months later we have a carpeted bedroom floor (dampens his wondering noise) but he sleeps on the bed and on the floor, he pleases himself and it seems to work foru us.

I've only heard Charlie howl once and then it was because he was dreaming  :005: - he then woke himself up doing it. He didn't bark until he was about 11months old either :), and even now it's a rare thing.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
We have had 5 cockers in total over the years.  It was only our 1st cocker, Sam that got himself in a pickle for the 1st few nights.
All of the other's have settled at night really well.  I don't know if thats just luck.  :-\
Sam never howled though, it was more of a whimper....we gave in straightaway & brought him upto the bedroom.  I remember sleeping with my hand in his bed to comfort him.
He wasn't unsettled for long though & after a few nights he slept back downstairs with our goldie.  :luv:
There is no right or wrong way of getting a new puppy settled overnight, just do what you feel happy with.  :shades: :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie