Author Topic: The Adventures of Maisie  (Read 3764 times)

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: The Adventures of Maisie
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
Maisie Mischief, you are a clever little button  :luv: Most of us have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, but you, young lady, appear to be slightly out of kilter  :lol2: Cannot be easy keeping up with her, but I love that she has a special spring in her step when her mission has been a success! I discovered that Lara (ex breeder) had a weak spot for doggie chocolate drops, and she only got them when she did the toilet outside.  Could you maybe try something like that for her bedtime loo break?

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2020, 06:00:45 AM »
UPDATE

Well for those of you who thought Maisie had turned over a new leaf because I hadn't posted for a while, I can assure you she hasn't. 

A few of her recent misdemenours.  She has chewed my gardening shoes, that I have had nearly 12 years.  Admittedly they were not in pristine condition after 12 years, but perfectly useable.  I have now ordered a new pair, to be kept completely away from Maisie.  She has an amazingly strong jaw.  The other day I was using a lump hammer to hammer in a support post for a small tree. I had placed it on the lawn and turned around to see Maisie carrying it off in her mouth, managing to hold it a couple of inches above the ground.  Gardening tools/gloves are a big attraction.  Most of my hand tools with wooden handles are now scarred by Maisie's teeth. 

Two Saturdays ago I was at the kitchen sink when I became aware of Maisie dashing past very purposefully.  I was horrified to see she had my Pink electric toothbrush in her mouth, which I had left on charge in my bedroom.  I am desperately trying to educate myself to close every door behind me when I leave a room, but this time I'd failed.  She was running round and round the garden with her new booty.  I knew it would be difficult to reclaim the toothbrush and was very anxious to stop her chewing it so I ran inside and got a Bonio.  Initially she was very reluctant to give up her prize, but eventually the temptation was too much and she dropped the toothbrush in exchange for the Bonio. 

I could go on and on, but last weekend she excelled herself.  On Saturday morning I had done a poo collection and left the scoop near the back door whilst I went inside to get a bag.  I heard a clatter and went outside to find Maisie had picked up the full scoop by the handle, distributing poo all around the patio.  Why she couldn't have taken the other scoop, which I use to guide said poo onto the second scoop, and was obviously empty, I do not know.  Obviously not half the fun.  Great, more mess to clean up and a patio to hose down.

She is still suffering badly from separation anxiety, hence me being up so early.  Some nights it's not too bad but on other occasions she barks from the second I leave her in her crate to go to bed.  I am definitely suffering from sleep deprivation.  She is still not warming to anyone who visits and even people she has met 5 or 6 times are not allowed to touch her.  The most progress so far is that she will quickly sniff their hand before backing off again.  Can anyone advise whether she ever be friendly with visitors.  This is obviously not the behaviour I am used to from any of my previous Cockers, who have always been completely thrilled every time anyone visits. 

Maisie is a very bright but very complex girl and as I have never rescued a dog before this is all new to me.  I love her dearly and she is very cuddly and affectionate with me but still displays signs of nervousness and anxiety on occasions.  Any advice from those of you who have rescued Cockers in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »
Well, I had figured that  Maisie Mischief had either found her inner angel, or had gone full pelt into the realm of naughtiness  :005: My goodness, she is a clever little cookie, I can't believe she has the strength to carry a hammer, that is impressive. As she is food motivated, could you keep her occupied with a stuffed kong when you are trying to get something done and keep her safe?  As for people, Daisy does not 'do' people.  We were asked to take her as we have a very quiet house and rarely have visitors.  Not even treats from visitors make a difference.  Maisie has settled well, but possibly not at home long enough to feel totally secure, it takes a while.  Daisy did take on to us really quickly and is a Velcro dog who love a fuss, she is a lovebug.  I would say that it took the first year of being with us for her to feel secure.  We think she was around two years old when we got her. 

Online Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2020, 01:32:13 PM »
Oh my goodness it seems like Maisie is a grabber  :005:

I am not sure how you explain no to her, did the lady says she responded to any signs.....must admit I have a vision of her running tail wagging and you spending the day chasing her.  Thankfully the Bonio seems to do the trick for you retrieving things.

Maybe a few post it labels on your doors reminding you to get into the habit of closing them might help for a few weeks.

Ollie was a rescue and he did take time to settle - even today he has only a handful of folk he goes to, but he loves the lady who trims him and walks off happily with the lady vet!! never try to get into the workings of a cockers brain :shades: ....  it was just a couple of days to discover the monkey he is....would it help if I told you yesterday I got out of the shower and reached for my dressing gown only to see plod waddling all over with delight and my nightie hanging from his mouth...there I was running after him my wet hair tripping all down my face.  He is 13 in November  :luv:

Maisie Mischief is a real cocker character......
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
She’s a character and a half!  Is she totally deaf, even to invisible whistle frequencies?    Are there any gadgets To catch her attention that  you can get that aren’t harmful, that can produce a gentle vibration on a collar when she is out of arms length?  I’m not suggesting a shock collar.   Maybe there is something that deaf children use to attract their attention. There must be websites.
Or a food smell spray collar?    Invent something that works , and you could make a fortune.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »
Someone I spoke to recently mentioned the use of laser pointers for deaf dogs? Not quite sure if there are special sorts or how safe they are but it might be worth researching? ....