Author Topic: FAO: Coco and Stuffster  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
FAO: Coco and Stuffster
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »
Hi ladies, i was just reading your thread about working a show cocker. Tia was taken on a beating and loved it (when she had her sight) and i would love to do this in a couple of years with another but im not sure to go for show or working ( i love both and can't decide).

Did you further your interest with your dogs and if so how did you get on? I do falconry and shooting (OH shoots also on private land) so i would love to have a companion while doing this. We have Archie who is a show cocker but no good at Falconry or shooting (he's a noisy boy). How hard is is to train a cocker for working and how many hours training?

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
Re: FAO: Coco and Stuffster
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:19:03 PM »
Anyone else with input welcome of course x

Offline millrace

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
training a working dog isnt that hard unless you want to trial etc then you need to really put the hours in if you just want an honest shooting dog who does not ruin other peoples day in the field i would liken the training to be no more than what others do to train their dogs for obdience or agility.....put a bit in and get bit out if you get what i mean...not every dog has to be a ftch.........
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
I'm really sorry to Stuffster because I was completly cr@p and due to all the stuff that's going on never managed to get her over, though I suspect she may have been in a similar situation ph34r  :luv:

Wherry still goes out shooting with OH maybe once a week during season and we go beating too. Gizzy even came out on a few drives this year though some would forwn on that as she is too young.
Wherry has so much hunt/retreive instinct it's unreal so we've not done a lot of formal gun dog training with her but while she does ok she could be loads better. Gizzy has less retreive in her which we are working on but she'll make a good beating dog once she stops her independant ways.

The dog must be 100% on recall, sit/stay, stop, for the basics. Training is as much as you would put into hard training any dog but obviously there is more at stake and it has to be 100% no ifs and buts. Many people think when training a gun dog it should be kenneled, you can't play tug or chase etc. but it depends on to what extent you want it to be trained. If you do 1/2 hr a day targeted training for a year you'ld have a much better trained dog than Wherry  :005: For me I think it's unfair to treat Giz and Wherry purely as 'gundogs' for just a couple of dozen days a year so they are pets who dabble. I've seen some amazing cocker gun dogs but they have been residentally trained, full on.
They always say with any training 15 mins 3 x a day os better than 1 hour all in one go. We kind of try to bring training into everyday so like it's sit/stay before getting dinner or a treat.

I think you can work a show dog, you'ld have to keep the coat very short though. I'd say if you get the chance to work and are very active in your lifestyle then a worker is better but if you just do it maybe once or twice a year and have a more sedate lifestyle a show would be fine.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
Thanks you both. This is were me and OH differ - he would love a worker but he has no idea about how much training and stimulation they need (he's never had dogs apart from ours) so it would be little me training it when DD2 goes to school (3 years to go as yet lol). I would prefer a show type and just have a exteremly well behaved companion to take with me and occasionally take beating. Mind you i love the coat and "go" of a worker also. The choice is soooo hard - it's going to take me 3 years to decide i think  :005:

Coco - can't wait to meet Coco and Wherry, i have only ever met 1 worker before at the kennels and is was a pet and not worked. I think i need to experiance workers  ;)

Offline IanM

• Eshiels Gundogs
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
Training a cocker as a good shooting dog, which in my eyes is a dog you can trial with, takes time and knowledge. There are far to many bad dogs on shoots these days. It's not about putting in hours and hours, it's about doing little and often. If you can train a dog for 10 to 15 minutes per day every other day, you will succeed far better than trying to do 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon.
The key is consistency thats all. Sounds like you have the space available, so I would just go for it.

All the best

Ian
Ian Mitchell
Eshiels Gundogs

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
Thank you Ian i will keep it in mind for when i start. Im going to shadow the falconners with their dogs and hopefully i will learn something  :005: They have a wide variety of cockers, springers, brittany's and Vizlas!