Author Topic: Help with stop whistle  (Read 1766 times)

Offline nicolatong

• Limited Member
Help with stop whistle
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »
Hi there my 6/7 month old bitch won't stop on my stop whistle I must point out I'm a total novice :( iv been  getting help from a friend who works his dogs aswell as reading loads on this and the nobs website I want to start beating with maggi soon as she is ready :) she recalls to four peeps on my whistle and 'gets in' when I tell her but when I do one peep for stop she runs straight back to me and sits with tail wagging bless her any advice would be gratefully received
Many thanks

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Help with stop whistle
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
does she respond to a hand signal for a sit or a lie down?

We started off teaching Jarv the stop whistle by first getting him to respond (at close quarters) to a hand signal for a sit.  Once that was solid we would do the one peep plus the hand signal.  We started off with him directly  sat in front of us (in the house) and then slowly slowly increased the distance, outside in the garden, and then in the field. 

helen & jarvis x

Offline nicolatong

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
she sits to me holding my hand in the air when I feed her also when she recalls I then put my hand up and she sits when I try when to do it at distance she runs back and sits >:(

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:36:59 PM »
Jack did this if we tried to increase the distance too quickly.
Start getting him to sit to whistle at your feet, then when hes close to you and pottering about ask him to do it at small distances. Build up the distance you expect him to sit slowly.
Also work on his stays so hes used to sitting at distance from you, we never asked Jack to sit on the whistle further away than we could of walked away from him during a stay.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
Everytime you want her to sit do the whistle and put her in the sit command and offer your hand signal. We used to walk round and round a field pratising sitting to whistle. When they've got that you put them in sit and move away even if only couple of steps then ask them to hold sit with your whistle and hand signal when they are steady with that, You put them in sit walk away a bit call them to you and as the come whistle and hand signal the sit command. eventually they will be able to sit everytime when you do it then come when asked then sit again whilst coming to you.

As with anything it's practice and consistency.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline IanM

• Eshiels Gundogs
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »
This is one of the more challenging tasks to teach a dog. At 6/7 months old I would not expect your dog to stop to the whistle unless you have been teaching it to from an early age. This is not easy to explain, much easier in person, but here goes.

Put your dog on the lead and walk to heel, everytime you stop blow the stop whistle and tell the dog to sit.
Do this for about a week, 3 or 4 short sessions of 5 minutes per day. Once you think the dog is getting the hang of it, dont use the voice command.

Complete the above without the lead. Walk your dog to heel, blow the stop whistle and continue walking. 9 times out of 10 they will continue to follow you. So this is where you have to be quick, as soon as you have blown the whistle check to see if your dog has sat down, if not grab them quickly and put them back in the place you blew the whistle. Then after a couple of seconds blow the stop whistle again to confirm your action. Walk away from your dog five or six paces, and then go back and praise for sitting still. After about a week they will sit while you continue walking.

The stage after this is really to let them have some free time running round, but when they are quite close blow the stop whistle, if they stop and sit, praise with your voice, then through a retrieve to the opposite side of you that the dog is on, if the dog still sits send for the retrieve.

I hope that makes sense. there are other exercise you can do after the dog sits to the whistle at your side.

best of luck.

Ian
Ian Mitchell
Eshiels Gundogs

Offline babushka

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »
If you have been making her sit after a recall she may be associating one peep as recall-and-sit all in one exercise.perhaps separate sitting and recalling to avoid any confusion