Author Topic: Novice help required  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
Novice help required
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
Claire H has posted some brilliant photos of Storm and Scout doing agility. There are many others who post some fantastic action shots.

I have no idea how they manage to get them but I am guessing a decent camera with a high speed lens is needed along of course with an understanding of how to work it.

Can any one give some idea if what type of camera and lens is required and what I might expect to pay.

We do have an Olympic PEN so if I can add a lens to that would think about that, but don't like the fact it does not have a view finder.

Then I can worry about how to work it (the easier the better)

Ta Karen

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Novice help required
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »
Have you looked at Nicola's tips?
If not, I have put a link to them.
They are a great help.  Not sure about your camera but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and advise.  :D
For me though, a viewfinder is absolutely essential.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=64958.0

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
Thanks I had not seen them so have ad a good read and will try them out, So hopefully you will see some great action shots on the photo board soon.

Offline Jerrica

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
I can highly recommend the Panasonic FZ range, they are great bridge cameras with the bonus of a great optical zoom. I don't rate any camera's digital zoom. (DSLR's are great if you can afford the additional lenses)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
also a fan of the bridge cameras. mine is a fuji s4000.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »
I used to have a bridge camera before getting my DSLR. They are great as they are light in weight, versatile and you always have the right lens for the job  ;) :005:
My daughter has now 'claimed' my bridge camera and I do envy her not having to change lens or having the weight and bulk that I have to carry.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
I've just bought a fab little Sony DSC-HX50, I'm a bit of a Sony fan anyway and this one is great, had the HX40 previously and the HX20, but this one is the best so far, first time I picked it up I took a picture of a wood pigeon sat on the fence, just point and shoot, which came out great.  Georgie my 5 month old cocker, well the pigeon flew from the fence and landed about 3' in front of her, I've never seen a GUNDOG move so fast, mind you he was big enough to make a pie out of  :005:

[/URL]

Offline Moorso

• Moorso Begins
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
Hi

Just reading this post and thought I'd throw my 2p in.

Up until recently, I would have said that a bridge camera would be the best bet. However, even phones now (Samsung Galaxy SIII and SIIII as well as iPhone5) have 'burst mode' in their settings.....this essentially takes up to 20 pictures over the course of, say, 2 seconds. It has the same effect as more expensive cameras. I have used it at Northern Ireland motorbike road races (and those guys are approaching you at 200mph!).

Alternatively, even changing the ISO settings on most digital cameras will improve the pictures....this essentially controls the shutter speed. So an ISO setting that his high (800 and above) is a faster shutter speed. ISO settings below that (and at 100) are slow shutter speeds.

Hope this has helped!  :lol2:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
I picked up an immaculate Cannon 400d EOS digital SLR with standard and telephoto lens and lots of other attachment of Gumtree for £200, fantastic camera at that price, there are a good few on ebay

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:33:57 PM »
Thanks every one still looking. I guess it's taking so long as I purchased my OH an Olympus Pen just about 18 months ago a good quality camera but not great at action shots, or is it me who is not great so I'm a bit hesitant to jump.

Did think about looking at the new phones and then my vet put his tupence in. If only you could take them on trial.

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
Re: Novice help required- Nearly There
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »
I have been looking on and off for a while now and have whittled it down to Nikon D3200 or Nikon D5200.

The main obvious differences are the LCD screen. The Nikon D3200 seems to be billed as a great camera with easy to operate menu which sounds just like what I need. But before I take the plunge can any one tell what the maim differences are and is the D5200 much more difficult to operate, hubby is more on the side of the D5200.

My long term aim is to be able to take a half decent action shot don't know if that would make a difference to which camera.

Thanks

Karen

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
Hi, I'm no expert but after many years of happily taking photos on a usual pocket camera I finally took the plunge,  I had the same concerns as you ie will I know how to use the thing :D

I kept looking at bridge cameras and DSLR's there is so much information out there.

I finally decided on the Nikon D3200, it's fantastic with a great Guide mode on it, you set the mode to what you are shooting and away you go, it also has a point and shoot mode and if you wish to start playing around with the settings you can.

I chose the D3200 for the price and the fact it is aimed at the novice as it is a entry level DSLR.

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
I have the Nikon D3200 too.....I had a Panasonic bridge camera. I chose the Nikon on it's reviews,price and the fact it is an entry level .
I also bought the field guide which I am working my way through  :huh: .there is an awful lot to learn to get great shots whatever camera you have ....I am in awe of some peoples photos on here  ;)