Author Topic: Which Lens is best for 'action shots'  (Read 2762 times)

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
Which Lens is best for 'action shots'
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
Hi
I have a Nikon D40X with two lenses - 18.55 mm (the one I use most) and also 55-200mm.  I have had these since I got the camera about 5 years ago and was wondering if there was another lense I could add to my very small collection that might be better for action shots.  I have found I get best results from the 55-200 mm lense but I have to take literally hundreds just to get one half decent one.  I'm not very adept at using the controls but do experiment a little and also use the pre-set 'action'  setting (which I am not very impressed with).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Debbie

Offline JohnMcL7

Re: Which Lens is best for 'action shots'
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »
What sort of budget do you have in mind?  Can you upload a couple of the shots you're not happy with along with the exif data so we can see what settings you used?  It is possible you might be able to improve your keeper rate by improving your technique, I could upload hundreds of rubbish action shots myself from my first DSLR as it took me a bit of time and practice to improve my technique and find the best settings to use.  Auto modes don't tend to work that well on DSLRs when you're shooting something quite specific as they tend to to go for safe, general settings.

Unfortunately fast telephoto lenses are expensive so unless you're prepared to spend quite a bit of money I'm not sure there's any lenses that are going to be much better for action shots.  The lenses I'd probably look at are the 35mm F1.8, 50mm F1.8 G (not the older 'D' version as this won't focus on your D40x) and the 85mm F1.8 G (again 'G' not 'D'), these lenses have a much wider aperture which means you can get far higher shutter speeds than your zoom lenses but the big tradeoff is you lose the zoom which is a problem with unpredictable fast moving subjects like cocker spaniels.

John

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply.....sorry to be slow in responding but have been waiting for some shots to come along to illustrate my 'problem'  ;)
Took these in the garden today of Dillon 'jumping' a low obstacle.  Only the one 'head on' (last of the seven in album) came out ok (ish).  I think the data you refer to is on the bottom left of the photobucket page they are on....

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/debsy99/Dillon%20Summer%202012/

I'm wondering if the 'focus' setting may be incorrect for action shots too, there are three to choose from on my camera?

Thanks,

Debbie

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
I don't have this model but do have a Nikon.  When I take action shots I always use a fast shutter speed and the 'mode' on continuous.  I also have the focus on the 3 d tracking or dynamic which follows the subject. I think your model just has the dynamic mode but this should work well for you.
Have you read Nicola's articles on shooting action shots?  It is highly recommended.
Don't be afraid to use the manual settings as the results are usually better than sticking with auto.  :D

Sorry this didn't really answer your question about lens.  ph34r
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »
The main issue with the first five pictures is that the shutter speed is too low which could have been improved by increasing the iso setting which was at iso 200 for the first five shots and the iso 720 for the last one, hence it's much clearer.  I don't know how familiar you are with exposure, aperture and iso so I apologise if any of this comes across as too basic for you.

The shutter speed is governed primarily by the aperture setting and the iso setting, each one comes with its own tradeoffs.  The aperture controls the amount of light that comes through the lens with a smaller F number meaning a bigger aperture and more light which means a faster shutter speed, each lens has a maximum aperture value (which is printed on the lens) and generally the wider the aperture the more expensive the lens with pro-spec constant aperture lenses costing a lot of money.  This is where prime lenses like the 35mm F1.8 and the 50mm F1.8 can be useful as they offer very wide apertures and high image quality for a reasonable price although you lose the ability to zoom.  The iso setting controls the amplification of the sensor, each time you double the iso value you boost the sensor which means the shutter speed doubles.  The catch is that each time you increase the iso you increase the amount of noise or digital grain in the picture, the better the sensor the more controlled this noise is so for a large sensor camera like the D40X you have a decent amount of headroom with the iso settings whereas with say a compact camera you have very little.

So in the case of your photos, by going from iso 200 to iso 800 you would have had four times the shutter speed which would have helped to stop the motion blur.  It looks like you had the lens 'wide open' (which means at its widest aperture) so there isn't anything you could do with that lens.  Choosing the shutter speed is tricky because it will depend on how much motion there is in your picture and also how good the light is, at times you will find even at the maximum aperture and a high iso setting (particularly when shooting indoors) you just can't really get fast enough.  As to how fast a shutter speed you need you can guess it based on how quickly your subject is moving, for a fast cocker spaniel you should probably be aiming for around 1/400 or possible.  As an example, this shot was taken at 1/50 and correctly focused but it's far too slow to capture Jake running:

This one on the other hand was shot at 1/2000 because I knew I'd need the super high shutter speed to capture the motion so I intentionally shot with a wide aperture:

People's opinions vary on which setting to use with my preference being the aperture-priority mode (labelled 'A') rather than the shutter priority mode (labelled 'S').  This seems the wrong way round as you'd think the shutter speed mode would be better but I don't like using it because the camera can only do so much to maintain the shutter speed you want, once it has gone to the maximum aperture and the highest iso value it can do no more to get your shutter speed so you end up with an underexposed picture (depending on the camera) as it couldn't capture enough light.  With the aperture priority mode I can keep an eye on the shutter speed and if it's dipping too low I can push the iso up and widen the aperture as I think suits the scene, at times I prefer to shoot with a higher iso and keep a narrower aperture as wide apertures mean can mean a very small amount of the scene is in focus which may be too little.

In terms of focus, you normally have three primary modes - manual (M-AF), standard (S-AF) and continuous(C-AF).  Manual is fairly straight forward in that it simply lets you do the focusing.  Standard autofocus means when you half press the camera focuses on whatever the camera is pointing at and then when you press the shutter fully down it takes the picture, this means if you point it at your subject, half press the shutter and the subject moves out of focus as you press the shutter your picture will be out of focus.  Continuous autofocus starts the camera focusing when you half press the shutter button but it keeps focusing until you fully press the shutter button so if your subject is moving this mode should capture the shot in focus.

I say should because continuous autofocus is difficult for the camera and it's one of the main areas where professional spec cameras are generally better as they have very fancy systems, capturing a fast moving subject towards the camera is the most difficult shot for focus as the subject is moving quickly back out of focus as the camera tries to take the shot.  It's for this reason I'm not that keen on continuous autofocus mode on the D40X's class of camera although I never used this camera much myself so I'd highly recommend you play around with it and see how good the results you get are.

A couple of tips I'd recommend with autofocus, the first is to set just one autofocus point so you know where the camera is focusing.  When you have multiple focus points enabled the camera will just grab whatever it can focus on the quickest and easiest which may well not be where you want it to be focused, hence shots where the camera has focused perfectly on a tree in the background and your actual subject is an out of focus blur!  The other is to use a focus trap where you prefocus on a bit of ground or something your spaniel is going to pass and then as they hit that spot, you press the shutter button so they should be in focus.  Or set your camera to its burst mode, prefocus again on a spot the dog is going to pass and as they approach it press and hold the shutter so you get a series of shots with hopefully one in sharp focus.

John

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
John,
Thanks for this very informative reply.  I will read again and again until it sinks in  ;).  Some of the tips you have provided I am already using but there are so many variables that I am obviously not using the 'right' combination at the moment.  I do play around with the A and S priority modes plus ISO settings and of course the beauty of digital is that you can instantly see if you have it right.  I do tend to change things in a rather random fashion though and, on the odd occasion, I have a decent shot have not really taken note of what settings I have used which is silly I know - perhaps I will dig them out and have a look at the data to see what the settings were. 

Vixen, thank you for your advice and PM's the link you provided was very helpful too. 

A friend and I are booked in for a short lesson in camera settings with a photographic group in the next few weeks so hope to see an improvement in my photos soon  ;)

Debbie

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »
One point I'd add is that light levels can vary considerably even when outdoors during the day and because the human eye is very good at what it does, you don't notice how low light levels may have dipped.  This means at times I can shoot with a standard aperture and low iso but still get shutter speeds into the thousands making it a breeze to shoot any motion but other times I'm having to really push the aperture and iso but still not getting shutter speeds as fast as I need.  This will probably mean you'll find some of your shots look great and some not so good at the same settings because the latter ones were taken in poorer light.

With that in mind you should have a shutter speed display in the viewfinder (if in aperture priority mode) and you need to keep an eye on this, when it starts dipping too low you can then widen the aperture and/or increase the iso setting to compensate.  I don't know how good the auto-iso option is, if you can configure the minimum shutter speed and maximum iso value then it will be very handy as if shooting action you can set a quick minimum shutter speed.  The reason I say this is that some auto iso options aren't very good as they only maintain minimum shutter speeds to avoid camera shake which simply isn't fast enough for shooting moving subjects.

John

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
Took a few more today using some of the advice I've been given here.  A bit better I think but still could be sharper.  More practise  required.....trouble is Dillon is starting to run the other way when he sees the camera  :005:

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/debsy99/Dillon%20Summer%202012/